Installng / using a HDD on ZGEMMA H2S

Not something I've tried as ViX doesn't come with openwebif terminal but if Grog says it works that's good enough for me.

Not something I've tried as ViX doesn't come with openwebif terminal but if Grog says it works that's good enough for me.
Sorry Willo - I just saw this after sending my other message a moment ago! Yeah I think it sounds ok for openwebif for people that have OpenATV images but you wouldn't have used it / been able to use it as you're using Vix

None of them are actually working. The little red circle with the x in it means it's not mounted properly.

View attachment 54089
Hi Willow, even though it's still on the same IP address as before, since installing Grogbuild over the top of the bare openATV image, I am having issues with accessing my zGemma h2s box / recordings on my network, via my Windows 10 laptop. I also have not managed to access this box from my other zGemma (which is still running Wooshbulid and has it's own network issues, but I'll ask about that separately!) Please can you take a look at the attached images of what I'm seeing on my laptop? It's now showing as a Disconnected Network Drive (image 1) and I am unsure of which password I am meant to enter for network credentials to connect to 192.XXXETC! I have tried my WIFI password, my WIFI Hub online password, Win 10 laptop password and simply 'password' as I think that's what is needed for the zGemma itself. Nothing lets me get past this screen (image 2).

I have tried to map it again as another network drive (image 3) and some message about permission to use the network appears. I have also tried to 'add a network location'.

Do you / does anybody have any ideas on what I'mmeant to do to resolve this?

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 3.JPG
    Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 3.JPG
    10.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 2.JPG
    Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 2.JPG
    8.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 1.JPG
    Problems Accessing zGemma on Network 1.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 10
Any version of ATV above 6.3 requires the user to set a password in network settings on the E2 box.

Thanks Willo. I already did this: Yesterday I set it to 'password' on the box and pressed green to save (via Main menu >> Setup >> System >> Network >> Password setup).

...yet where is says 'enter network credentials' when I tried to connect to it on my laptop (image 2) it did not accept it (suggesting password / network credentials are wrong).

...5 mins ago I changed the password using the above steps on the box again, saved it and did a full reboot of the box. Yet even now, when I type the new password into where you see in image 2, I am still unable to connect to the box. If i try to set map a new network drive to access it using the address of \\192.XXX.X.XX\Harddisk\movie - it now comes up with a network error message saying "Windows cannot access \\192.XXX.X.XX\Harddisk\movie"

Then I clicked on 'Diagnose' and run troubleshooting, I saw the message "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection" and "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose." Clicking on "See details" shows "Error code 0x80070043 The network name cannot be found"

When I then go on to try to map the drive again and check the box that says "Connect using different credentials" it pops up asking with a box saying "Connect to 192.XXX.X.XX" and asks for a username and password. Do you know what the username would be or where I can find it in the box settings?

Four other things to note that might be helpful to know:

1) When I go to Browse Network Neighbourhood on my other zGemma in the bedroom (running an old Wooshbuild on openATV image), although many IP addresses for other devices in my home show up, the IP of my 'problem' box does not appear in the list So it's almost as if the IP is hidden?

2) The other zGemma in the bedroom drive is currently mapped on my network / laptop without any issues and I can access all of the folders / recordings using my laptop.

3) The whole time (including after changing the password on my box 5 mins ago), I can still stream live TV and recordings from the box using the Dream Player app on my Android phone. No settings have been changed there and I am sure the username = root and password = password (although the password cannot be viewed within the app and I don't want to change it, in case that stops working.

4) When I run a Network test on the 'problem' box (within Network setup), everything is reported as being fine. i.e. I clicked on 'Start test' and all five items (Network adapter / local network / DHCP / IP address / Nameserver) come back green with ticks.

Apologies for all this detail but I am thinking it might help you / somebody here come up with the answer.

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT:
1) When I go to Browse Network Neighbourhood on my other zGemma in the bedroom (running an old Wooshbuild on openATV image), although many IP addresses for other devices in my home show up, the IP of my 'problem' box does not appear in the list
>>> The IP address of the 'problem' box is showing up now after running a re-scan.

Last edited:
No problem, Willo, thanks for your point about the password though. Hopefully somebody else might know and can advise on this.
Reboot your router.
Leave it powered off for four minutes at least.
The username for zgemma is root
Then use the password you set

No problem, Willo, thanks for your point about the password though. Hopefully somebody else might know and can advise on this.
To set up password press menu button and select Setup -> System -> Network -> Password (sorry not got box in front of me wording for password setup my be slightly different).

Once a password is set up, you should be able to browse to your box hdd from your pc without an issue, the first time you will be asked for username (root) and password

To set up password press menu button and select Setup -> System -> Network -> Password (sorry not got box in front of me wording for password setup my be slightly different).

Once a password is set up, you should be able to browse to your box hdd from your pc without an issue, the first time you will be asked for username (root) and password
He tried and it wouldn't allow him to connect.
I've had same issue half a dozen times oh H7c using 6.4.
Even samba wouldn't let me in.
Only solution was to reboot router then webif and samba both worked normally

Hi Grog and Pablo,

Thanks very much for the above advice. After following it (without restarting the router), I was still unable to connect...but I tried something else out and it finally worked. I clicked on / highlighted the drive that was no longer working (i.e. X drive, showing as 'Disconnected') - and then right clicked and selected 'Disconnect' - and remapped the drive fresh and all was fine! (I used the username of root and my new password, as you said).

Now I just need to work out why I have been unable to access this living room box (running Grogbuild) using the network mount I have pointing to it on the bedroom zGemma h2s (running an older Wooshbuild image via OpenATV).

And the same issue the other way around. In both cases, within Mount Management, I think the mounts are set up correctly but they might not be (perhaps issues with the 'Local share name' and/or 'Server share' fields on one or both of the boxes (please see attached photos showing how I have them set up).

When I press 'Filelist' on the remote control to access my list of recordings, followed by pressing yellow for Bookmarks, although the bookmark shows up, I get error messages on both boxes.

Please can you take a look at the attached photos and let me know if you can see anything that's set up wrongly? Any photo with "Box 1" in the name is of the living room / Grogbuild box trying to view the bedroom box and any photo with "Box 2" in the name is of the bedroom Wooshbuild box trying to view the contents of the living room box.

Note on the box running Grogbuild, when I go to 'Network Browser' to view all of the IP addresses in my home, nothing happens when I "Click on OK to expand the host" for any of the IP's. This wasn't the case with the old iPab image I had. Also isn't with the Wooshbuild image. Just wondering if this matters in any way?

Maybe I should just try deleting all existing mounts (on both boxes) and start again? The only thing about is I cannot see any way of doing this on the Wooshbuild box so I have just disabled one of the the CIFS shares that isn't needed (there is no 'delete' button for me to select).

Thanks again

Attachments

• Box 2 - Mount Viewer Screen Page 2.JPG
    Box 2 - Mount Viewer Screen Page 2.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Box 2 - Mount Viewer Screen Page 1.JPG
    Box 2 - Mount Viewer Screen Page 1.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Box 2 - Mounts Editor Settings on Grogbuild zGemma Box.JPG
    Box 2 - Mounts Editor Settings on Grogbuild zGemma Box.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Box 1 - Mount Viewer screen.JPG
    Box 1 - Mount Viewer screen.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Box 1 - Mounts Editor Settings on Grogbuild zGemma Box.JPG
    Box 1 - Mounts Editor Settings on Grogbuild zGemma Box.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Box 2 - Network Mounting zGemma Boxes Not Working Error message on Wooshbuild box.JPG
    Box 2 - Network Mounting zGemma Boxes Not Working Error message on Wooshbuild box.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 7
  • Box 1 - Network Mounting zGemma Boxes Not Working Error message on Grogbuild box.JPG
    Box 1 - Network Mounting zGemma Boxes Not Working Error message on Grogbuild box.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 7
Nfs is not used by samba so check what utilities are running,

I had an issue with h7s not been able to access my recordings on my et 10000 and tried everything. In the end i had to reflash box and setup from scratch as it was the only way to fix the issue. I could access recordings elsewhere and was only on 1 location it always failed.

I would have thought Mount management can edit or delete mounts,names,passwords etc.

..Update. Now it's all gone bad again! As part of trying to see if I could resolve the problems with the mounts between the two zGemma h2s boxes by renaming my living room "Box 1" running Grogbuild from 'zGemmah2s' (or something similar) to 'ANDROID1', despite later doing full reboots on both boxes, although all is fine on my Windows 10 laptop in terms of accessing folders / recordings on Box 2 (running Wooshbuild in the bedroom), I can no longer access Box 1 (Grogbuild).

So I disconnected my mapped drive for Box 1 again and tried to re-map it but no luck. Please see the attached for the latest error messages I am seeing.

One thing I have noticed is I can now see videos on both boxes (in MPEG format instead of .TS files) via two miniDLNA Servers that are showing up, under a 'Network >> Media Services' heading on my PC. Not so good though as to open anything from these on the laptop, I have noticed the MPEG files need to download first.

One more thing - I am still seeing ANDROID1 (Box 1, Grogbuild) under 'Network >> Computer', alongside ANDROID2 (Android 2 = Box 2 running Wooshbuild in the bedroom) but I cannot delete / remove ANDROID1 as there is no option to do so! Perhaps this is why I am one error message saying "The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different name and password. To connect using a different username and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share"?

All very confusing why I can see files on both boxes via miniDLNA now (and never noticed this before) - yet have only been able to retain Box 2 set up as a mapped network drive!

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks again

EDIT - By the way, even though I did not need to do this earlier, I will try to do what Pablo suggested later tonight / tomorrow, i.e.
"Reboot your router.
Leave it powered off for four minutes at least. "

Attachments

• Network Share Error Messages re Grogbuild ZGemma Box 1 Pic2.JPG
    Network Share Error Messages re Grogbuild ZGemma Box 1 Pic2.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 1
  • Network Share Error Messages re Grogbuild ZGemma Box 1 Pic1.JPG
    Network Share Error Messages re Grogbuild ZGemma Box 1 Pic1.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nfs is not used by samba so check what utilities are running,

I had an issue with h7s not been able to access my recordings on my et 10000 and tried everything. In the end i had to reflash box and setup from scratch as it was the only way to fix the issue. I could access recordings elsewhere and was only on 1 location it always failed.

I would have thought Mount management can edit or delete mounts,names,passwords etc.

Hi Cactikid,

Yeah I only checked to see if a NFS set up would help (wasn't expecting it too). And the NFS mount you see on my (Wooshbuild) box 2 is one of a few and it's not active (as per the red cross instead of the green tick). It's only the CIFS share entry that I have set up as 'enable' that I expect to work. By the way, Samba is enabled and running on both boxes.

Mount management can edit or delete mounts,names,passwords etc on both boxes. >> Yes but it's only on the Grogbuild box that I can see an option for deleting network mounts (that's why you see the NFS entry / disabled entries in the pic of box 2.

not read all replies, but check Open ATV 6.4: Windows 10 laptop to Zgemma H2s access

If your hdd is connected to box with ATV 6.4 installed then for some reason ATV 6.4 doesn't allow for it to be shared. ie I have two boxes, box 1 has the hdd connected, with atv 6.3 installed, both boxes could access the hdd, with 6.4 installed it stopped working and box 2 couldn't see the hdd, the post linked to above is what i did to fix it

Paul A you need to set username and password not just password you need to do it twice in network password settings . I mentioned on other thread just type root then green button it will come back again with question new password so type root agai or whatever you want and save again it will tell you password is saved.

Thanks Grog and Urie. I restarted the network this morning (left it off for over 10 mins) and changed all usernames and passwords again. Then I rebooted both boxes.

This did not resolve the issue by itself but it probably helped things as per what Pablo suggested (thanks again Pablo). After LOTS more messing around I removed the mapped drives to both boxes and eventually managed to re-map box 1 (Grogbuild) WITH IT WORKING! So much messing around, I can't even tell you exactly how I got to the end result! I do remember that I again loaded the mapped drive using the box IP address and then renaming it to ANDROID1 as the final step.

And I went on to quickly remap box 2. (At least for now), I can access both mapped drives on my laptop with no issues (as was the case yesterday afternoon, until I changed the hostname of box 1!)

Grog - Thanks for your suggestion too (and the link to how to do it). I had a quick read of them but to be honest those instructions might be a little too much for me to follow as I'm not good with code etc. Anyway the good news is I should no longer need to do anything more...we will see!

I have attached a screen shot with a note showing what I think MIGHT have been the cause of my problems today (after the router was rebooted) and even now, I cannot see any option to remove the reference to (the useless) 'ANDROID1' under the 'Computer' section! If anyone has any ideas on how I can remove this, please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• Network connection error message for zGemma box on Grogbuild.JPG
    Network connection error message for zGemma box on Grogbuild.JPG
    10.3 MB · Views: 5
By the way, I know this is the page to download the latest bare OpenATV images:

openATV Nightly Downloads

Although now everything is good in terms of me being able to access both boxes from my Windows 10 laptop, I don't yet know if mounting the two boxes to each other will be ok (I have not got around to trying that again yet as I need to go out).

If the issue Grog mentioned with v6.4 comes back to affect me doing this (I think he was more referring to accessing two boxes via my Windows 10 laptop on the same network):

1) Is there anywhere I could download an older base image of OpenATV? (e.g. v6.3)?
2) Are any of you able to / planning to raise the issue Grog described a workaround to, so that it is resolved when the new v6.5 version of OpenATV is released? I am not sure who anybody would raise / explain this to but I guess you know how to contact the developers of the OpenATV bare image?

Thanks,

Paul

Back