Interesting read for suppliers

Very interesting Mike

More need for VPNs going forward?
I think suppliers will need to insist on a VPN if they have any sense.

They may go after the VPN providers however, they generally operate in a country where they can't be touched. And they have loads of cash to defend themselves

work round surely is to use ip address rather than domain name, admittedly many sites which currently access via cloudflare protection preventing direct ip address connection would have to change, but if cloudflare becomes part of blocking the DNS its pointless keeping it active anyway.

Just another load of crap scare mongering tactics imo
I think suppliers will need to insist on a VPN if they have any sense.

They may go after the VPN providers however, they generally operate in a country where they can't be touched. And they have loads of cash to defend themselves
even if providers insisted on vpn that only protects end users it's the servers what they want not end users but then again if your with a non dcma operator then servers can't be touched 🙃🙃🙃🙃

Just another load of crap scare mongering tactics imo

even if providers insisted on vpn that only protects end users it's the servers what they want not end users but then again if your with a non dcma operator then servers can't be touched 🙃🙃🙃🙃
They can be touched it is just harder for the authorities. Plus the generally give the owner of the server a warning that they are under investigation.

They can be touched it is just harder for the authorities. Plus the generally give the owner of the server a warning that they are under investigation.
Not that I'm aware of bud unless things has changed since my supplier moved

They have to comply if a court order has been obtained. However, if you pay for your server with bitcoin it is pretty much anonymous

Can't a supplier use a VPN so the ISP won't be able to block it's traffic? I thought VPN's made movement on the net all incognito?

Can't a supplier use a VPN so the ISP won't be able to block it's traffic? I thought VPN's made movement on the net all incognito?
A supplier can set up there server in a way only those using a VPN can connect.

There are other ways of obtaining the same result as cloudfare. And the use of DCMA servers as bazz has said, and the new apps they are using. Things are still pretty secure.

The only weak point is suppliers need to be paid

As the primary subject in the article referenced by the OP was about DNS and not VPN's, maybe for starters we should be discussing using DNS services that operate over either/both TLS or https.
We already know that encrypting our DNS lookups effectively neuters the ISP's from using their own DNS servers as a means of censorship.

Meanwhile, when we use a VPN then typically the DNS lookups are ceded to that specified by the DNS server and not done locally at the client end of things. Unless you have control over the VPN server then you do not have control over where the DNS lookups are made or delegated to. If when connected to a VPN server a DNS lookup is done locally (either deliberately or by accident or by poor config' etc etc), then you get what they call a "DNS Leak" which in turn is just the sort of thing that censors (typically ISP's) are looking for as a way of inflicting their big-brother views upon us or using that for the purposes of geo-rationing or whatever their agenda happens to be.

At the end of the day, there is no substitute for rolling your own and using verifiable end-to-end encryption for everything in order to keep the nosey b@$t@rd$ out of one's business.

Back