IPTV AND VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dt99

TK Veteran
Ok, this is my situation, 1 last chance before I give up for good.

IPTV is being blocked when Premium League is on. I have tried numerous VPN yesterday and none of them make a difference. I got free trials from various different big named VPN companies.

Provider says that thousands of people were blocked yesterday but we're working again with a VPN but that also about 100 people were working without a VPN on the same isp as me (Sky)

So, is it possible for Sky to block me from streaming and still block me if I'm using a VPN, obviously they can, so is there anything I can do?

I'm not interested in getting a new supplier as the same thing will just happen again very soon. I'm not using a supplier that advertises on FB etc, my service was recommended by a long standing member on here, trust me, he is telling me the truth about the service.

Is there anything I can do? I can't swap ISP as I'm in a contract and I can't really complain to Sky that my IPTV is being blocked.

Why is a VPN not working for me? What else can I do?

I was just about to ask the same question as I have the same problem exactly dt99. I read that some ISP's do not block TalkT##k was one. I am with Sly broadband and they are blocking my stream for 3pm matches amongst others complete block this Saturday. My neighbour, with BT and same streamer has exactly the same problem and we go off stream at the same time, so this looks like the problem is streamers end. My Streamer said I should get VPN but not too sure about this. (come on Liverpool)

Lucky I have a dish with motor you could do this. Triax 1.1 motorised on patio pole got the big matches yesterday no problem, the sound was not English. I use 23 and 13 mostly and will do this today. I can pull 39e to 30w so don't miss much. I pay £10 for a year for Clines. using Zgemma h2s. 14 years of service with various boxes same dish motor no2.

ISP's known for blocking so far are SLY/VM/BT/VODAFONE/TALKTALK/PLUSNET.
These have been operating a total block on streaming services and in some cases, even a vpn made no difference.
They seem to have found a new way to cause disruption to services at present.

ISP's known for blocking so far are SLY/VM/BT/VODAFONE/TALKTALK/PLUSNET.
These have been operating a total block on streaming services and in some cases, even a vpn made no difference.
They seem to have found a new way to cause disruption to services at present.
Its funny you should say that I'm with sky used vpn and worked my parents about 20 mins away from me and had a total, wipe out and no vpn worked this game of cat and mouse is getting bigger

I think it is blocked at source. If me and neighbour went down at different times then we could assume it was due to our ISP's. At the end of the day are some folk getting good unblocked 3pm and if so whats the secret.

I am with sly and yesterday (3pm) was ok once I reverted to android with vpn but the magbox was blocked at the portal address so didnt even get to the epg which has never happened before. Might add all my subs are working today (sofar) without vpn.

I think its most likely they will try and block the IPTV at source. I can't see how any provider would consider blocking a VPN as VPNs are often used for totally legitimate purposes - lots of businesses insist on a VPN for homeworkers for example. Once traffic is going across a VPN, the provider will not be able to see the data or the destination of that traffic (other than the destination IP of the VPN itself).

Where are you dt99 sorry I am hogging your post. late night? new girlfriend? :grin:

Yes taylerlee mine is the same. It comes on after the big games and is often ok during the week but no good for what I want it for.

I'm here, just observing. My problem can't be the source as my provider had thousands working with a VPN and hundreds without one. All came back on as soon as the late kick off ended.

Last edited:
Just found out that blocks were also put on some VPN servers yesterday which would explain some of the anomalies.
Nord VPN were hit and only one country was working !
Can't guarantee all info correct as so much that comes through is bullshite !

Though I was using Nord yesterday, connected to Ireland along with a few friends of mine using my Nord account and it worked fine

Just found out that blocks were also put on some VPN servers yesterday which would explain some of the anomalies.
Nord VPN were hit and only one country was working !
Can't guarantee all info correct as so much that comes through is bullshite !
Using Nord VPN with firestick yesterday, watched spurs match no problem

plenty I know had no issues yesterday, isp's: Sky, BT & VM were all able to watch IPTV without any restrictions, several had VPN's ready but didnt encounter any blocks so left VPN's off

Many providers don't allow VPN for security reasons so when a block happens there's nothing that can be done to the block stops or provider sorts it.

Have been reading this thread with interest, and if I may make a few comments:

Blocking or otherwise disrupting vpn traffic is not uncommon. This can be accomplished in a number of ways, and as we move more and more towards infrastructures being built and defined in software rather than on bare metal appliances and devices it becomes more effective as it tends to offer more opportunity for the administrators to be creative and to adapt within a framework that offers far more possibilities.
One example (although slightly different in implementation) is the way the bbc do it for their own CDN's. Whilst this is perhaps not directly comparable to someone like an ISP doing it within their upstream networks it ends in a similar or identical result and frustration for the person at the client end of things trying to watch a beeb broadcast over a vpn connection that is being tampered with or otherwise outright rejected by the CDN. You might typically see many of the commercial vpn providers continually updating their services and encouraging their users towards using ever-changing servers if they wish to access the likes of the beeb (and ntflx who also do similar things with their CDN's).
When this type of thing is done by an ISP it is often difficult to overcome, because we as end users have no control over what an ISP might choose to do with traffic in their upstream networks. That said, even with so much money at stake (for the likes of sly for example) they do still operate within some constraints and parameters. First and foremost, we need to understand that any ISP supplied appliance (ie your router that your ISP gave to you) is for the ISP simply a control and surveillance device and is a key and instrumental part of how they deliver their services to us. So, first order of business is to never ever use an ISP supplied appliance. Next order of business is to not use any ISP's DNS servers. Just now, I personally would recommend Cloudflare's 1.1.1.1 as the primary DNS resolver on any network or device. That being said, be prepared to review that on a regular basis, but right now, 1.1.1.1 is IMHO blowing just about everything else into the weeds in terms of accuracy, cleanliness, completeness and outright speed of performance. Third, if you don't need IPV6 for anything in particular then just ignore the nay-sayers and switch-off/disable IPV6.

We live in a world now where more and more software 'bots are being used for vast ranges of activity. I am sure that the admin's here will see allot of evidence of this here in this forum where "people" build a set of user credentials simply as part of an SEO activity as a way to try and build backlinks to their own or an affiliate site. Simply put, someone set's a 'bot loose and it will be able to find forums like this one and then within a few seconds create a dozen or so user accounts with neatly populated fields in the profile. The thinking behind this is that when this is done and then crawlers (another type of bot from search engines) come along the apparent credibility of the target site gets lifted up the batting order because people are seen to be linking to it.
Now I appreciate that this paragraph looks like I an drifting off of the thread topic, but just consider this for a minute - - - If you can set a bot loose to do that on things like forums, then why can't you use a bot as a means of recognising particular classes of content or a type of traffic (say for example vpn traffic using UDP Port 1194) and in turn making a decision as to whether that traffic be allowed to pass onwards or alternatively dropped altogether, or alternatively interfered with so that the end user's experience is rendered useless. Such a bot could also be designed to learn and remember from it's experience too, so if for example we simply change out port numbers that we use, then the bot should be able to see a common footprint in the nature of the traffic passing by.

Add to this, outright offensive attacks on IPTV servers and CDN's and the people who operate the types of services that we might subscribe too have rather allot to deal with if they are to have half a chance of offering a service to their customers.

I have been setting my vpn to europe or usa and it's been fine on android box and firestick, i only did that because someone mentioned it on here, i'm with sly for broadband. just to add to that, it even works fine on the android box with a free vpn set to another country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back