Is The Edision OS Mega the right one for me?

Still can't get my local epg even though it says Humber i'm watching central & east midlands, anyone got a clue where i'm going wrong?
Just how do you get onto the terrestrial tuner and set that seperate epg up? I'm baffled.
Also getting blanked by kodi, downloaded the plugin but it won't launch.

This is still completely new to me, but since nobody has answered, I will try...

Regarding your terrestrial reception, it is possible that your 3rd tuner (which is software switchable between sat, cable and terrestrial functionality) is configured as a DVB-C (iirc it is by default) and is expecting a cable (e.g. from Virmin). You can see whether that is the case and change if necessary by going into Menu / System / Services searching / Tuner configuration, where if you are not with Virmin you might as well set Tuner C to terrestrial (DVB-T2), while ensuring the Sly cables go into Tuner A and B.

You might then need to go into Menu / System / Service searching / AutoBouquetsMaker / Providers to check whether the settings make sense (e.g. Humber HD has been chosen and OK'ed with the green button for Sky UK area), before coming out of that and Scan for channels with the green button. I myself have yet to get a suitable adaptor to connect my terrestrial aerial coax cable to LNB 3 at the back of the box (I need https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Female-Socket-Adapter-Converter/dp/B004HTK4TW/), so am still relying on my Sly dish and inputs, and therefore only Tuner A and B of the box, for the FTA channels, which as can be expected work fine with neither softcam line nor internet connection.

I found Kodi works fine, but only after I followed the suggestion at
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55163-How-to-install-Kodi-Plugin-on-Edision-OS-Mega
and putty-ed those two instructions.

Cheers!

what firmware version are you using, i had this issue with Open Vix 4 but 5.0.002 seems to have resolved it

As discussed, I have updated to OpenVix 5.0.002, and unfortunately the issue remains - I am still losing around 20GB of disc space every 2 to 3 hours... :(

Given the OP is on 5.0.002 as he has indicated, and has the same issue, it is likely that the problem lies elsewhere this time. But fbaggy thanks for the suggestion all the same!

To summarise, circa 20GB of hdd space is vanishing every couple of hours:
1) The 1TB internal hdd is definitely formatted as EXT4, both as received from WoS, and after initialised by using the system since
2) Timeshifting and swap files have nothing to do with it - I redirected them to a 16GB USB stick formatted as EXT4 to isolate the problem
3) Recorded file sizes are normal
4) A recursive list from root found no other sizeable file except kcore at 2GB in ./proc
5) System restart and File system check (fsck) by the system are effective in recovering the lost space in full

I would be grateful for any suggestion.

Cheers!

Cheers Speedygonzal, I've managed to get my local area set, the Humber settings in AutoB(28.2E) made no difference, it was only by going in AutoBouquetsMaker / Providers / and picking the Freeview (UK) area Belmont (in my case) that the S*y epg changed. I don't know why the Freeview affected the S*y epg set up? I'm learning on the hoof here :)

I still need to find how to move from viewing a satellite feed to a terrestrial feed, is there an epg that can do that?

I gave up on kodi, it was distracting me, I've got other boxes to cover that, I tried the 'putty' thing it didn't work.

I'm still getting 3% drops in HDD space Speedy, that's without making any recordings, I have a bookmark that appears for some reason /media/hdd/movie/ don't know what that is?

This is still completely new to me, but since nobody has answered, I will try...
. I myself have yet to get a suitable adaptor to connect my terrestrial aerial coax cable to LNB 3 at the back of the box (I need https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Female-Socket-Adapter-Converter/dp/B004HTK4TW/), so am still relying on my Sly dish and inputs, and therefore only Tuner A and B of the box, for the FTA channels, which as can be expected work fine with neither softcam line nor internet connection.
you shouldnt need an adaptor for the coax, you can plug the terrestrial lead straight into the lower connection on the tuner C

I still need to find how to move from viewing a satellite feed to a terrestrial feed, is there an epg that can do that?

Doesn't the AutoBouquetMaker grab all the terrestrial feeds into the epg for you?

You can easily see which of the 3 tuners is on which channel, while you are watching/recording, by pushing the Box Info button at the bottom left of the OpenWebIf page using a browser (by simply entering the box IP address).

For example, I can put tuner C in play if I go to the FTA HD Bouquet tab (via the Next> button on remote) in the EPG, and select Al Jazeera HD, although I did need to goggle the relevant frequency for the channel locally, and pick it in Transponder, in Signal Finder, in Service Searching, in Setup to get a decent signal for the channel.

you shouldnt need an adaptor for the coax, you can plug the terrestrial lead straight into the lower connection on the tuner C

You are absolutely right fbaggy - thank you!

The hdd space loss suffered by the OP's and my OS Mega remains the issue... :(

Last edited:
Do you have Timeshift enabled ?
Maybe try and disable that see if it changes the HDD loss.

I thought I would have isolated that being a potential problem by redirecting timeshift storage to a USB stick (which I established to function as expected). I will certainly try that and report back!

I have had no luck using USB and HDD with my Edision OS Mini,it always wants to change the directory to what it wants rather than what i want so i just unplugged the USB.

Doesn't the AutoBouquetMaker grab all the terrestrial feeds into the epg for you?
Not as such mate, I don't seem to have an epg for terrestrial, the only way I can get on it is by pressing the 'help' button on the remote and finding the 'unknown tv' under providers, that then gives me access to a long list of tv stations some of which are Freeview.

I'm using Willo's build and have the s*y epg which is fantastic for the satellite side of things, I just want an easy way to access terrestrial too.
e.g. if I choose to watch DAVE of course it's blank, I'd like it to default to Freeview where it's available or better still be able to choose that first.
All this hassle before it gets to the complicated stuff eh ;)

Not as such mate, I don't seem to have an epg for terrestrial, the only way I can get on it is by pressing the 'help' button on the remote and finding the 'unknown tv' under providers, that then gives me access to a long list of tv stations some of which are Freeview.

I'm using Willo's build and have the s*y epg which is fantastic for the satellite side of things, I just want an easy way to access terrestrial too.
e.g. if I choose to watch DAVE of course it's blank, I'd like it to default to Freeview where it's available or better still be able to choose that first.
All this hassle before it gets to the complicated stuff eh ;)

Try this

Press 0 (panic button) and you should not be on BBC1 HD
press the down button you should now be in the All Channels Bouquet listing
press menu and then select "Set as start up service"
then also on standby

Last edited:
also if i set Tuner C to T2 and not C i get the option for Freeview in Autobouquets Maker and create a Freeview (Terrestrial) Bouquet. I think Willo's build uses the dsayers one bouquet plugin which swaps non working sly HD with working VM HD channels so if you only have terrestrial and not VM then i think some channels in the bouquets wont clear.. not too sure how it works with non vm. perhaps dsayers or Willo know better?

I'm on 5.0.002 fbaggy so hope it's sorted itself.
Still can't get my local epg even though it says Humber i'm watching central & east midlands, anyone got a clue where i'm going wrong?
Just how do you get onto the terrestrial tuner and set that seperate epg up? I'm baffled.
Also getting blanked by kodi, downloaded the plugin but it won't launch.

On the kodi side. I could not get it to work with vix. It just failed to open. So I put openat on instead of vix and kodi works like a dream

Think you have to putty in and opkg update a repository on VIX. Working ok ok my duo2 mind you but seen few mega users needing to

Do you have Timeshift enabled ?
Maybe try and disable that see if it changes the HDD loss.

Ok, I have turned timeshift off (Menu / Setup / System / Timeshift settings / Automatically start timeshift after set to Disabled), and the results are as follows:
1) If the box is not doing any recording or the pause button is not pressed when watching any channel, no hdd space gets lost - so result!! :(y):
2) If recording or pausing a programme being watched (which seems to involve disc activities akin to timeshifting, although it doesn't seem to create timeshift files in the timeshift folder) takes place, multiple GBs of hdd space continue to vanish. For example, over the past couple of hours I recorded 2 programmes totalling 3GB, but 10GB of hdd space disappeared, and when the recordings were deleted, 7GB remain missing.
3) As before, restarting the box (and I suspect from my earlier experiment yesterday fsck filesystem check) is effective in returning the missing hdd space in full.

So silverback many thanks for your suggestion - it means hdd space no longer vanish at a huge rate even if the box is doing nothing, as long as I sacrifice the timeshift functionality.

Nevertheless, it is clearly a sick puppy... The evidence indicates huge orphan files (which are not just hidden files, because they do not show up using "ls -alR" on the hdd) get left behind in the hdd from timeshifting, recording, pause and potentially other activities. :(

Cheers!

I've made no recordings since my last post, all I'm doing is watching the football live on BBC1, saw your last post Speedygonzal and just looked, hdd space 80%. So where's that gone? It's getting to be like an old PC 'turn it off and on again'.

Edit - Still made no recordings, just been messing with the epg (still trying to sort the Freeview out) and I'm down to 32%!

Last edited:
I've made no recordings since my last post, all I'm doing is watching the football live on BBC1, saw your last post Speedygonzal and just looked, hdd space 80%. So where's that gone? It's getting to be like an old PC 'turn it off and on again'.

As I indicated above, the way to stop the machine losing all its hdd space over time just by leaving it on, is to i) turn the timeshift function off, and ii) try to avoid pausing programmes while you watch, and iii) not recording anything...

So just recording would mean the box has to be rebooted (or fsck'ed) regularly to clear the junk... :mad:

To turn timeshift off, I went into Menu / Setup / System / Timeshift settings, and then cycle Automatically start timeshift to Disabled.

Regarding Kodi, I downloaded it (Green button) from Extensions within the PlugIns tab under the main Menu this morning, and it is working flawlessly (without needing to putty those two linux commands, like I had to previously). Presumably those issues have now been fixed in OpenVix 5.0.002 or the PlugIn.

Regarding the hdd space loss issue, it is necessary to identify where the problem lies, whether it is the box/OpenVix, or the build, so that it can be reported/fixed. Presumably it is necessary to try a clean OpenVix 5.0.002 build and see whether the same problem persists? If anybody has any other suggestion, I am all ears!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back