Is The Edision OS Mega the right one for me?

Cheers Speedygonzal, I'll maybe try kodi again, although the way it's going.....fresh start??
Any thoughts about putting the epg/timeshift on a usb and leaving the hdd just for recordings? Is that possible?

I am using a clean install of at version 6. Because of this post I have checked throughout the day and my hard drive space has stayed the same. I have time shift off

Cheers Speedygonzal, I'll maybe try kodi again, although the way it's going.....fresh start??
Any thoughts about putting the epg/timeshift on a usb and leaving the hdd just for recordings? Is that possible?

That and swap file relocation were amongst the first things I tried, unfortunately hdd space continued to get lost - see post #15 up thread I posted on Friday.

I am using a clean install of at version 6. Because of this post I have checked throughout the day and my hard drive space has stayed the same. I have time shift off

If you don't mind, may I ask which build are you using with Openatv? On an OS Mega? Any problem worth mentioning and why do you have timeshift off?

Regarding Kodi, I downloaded it (Green button) from Extensions within the PlugIns tab under the main Menu this morning, and it is working flawlessly (without needing to putty those two linux commands, like I had to previously). Presumably those issues have now been fixed in OpenVix 5.0.002 or the PlugIn.

Having thought about it, am not sure about what I wrote above anymore - there is a real possibility that one still needs to putty/telnet those two linux commands. The reason being that while Kodi disappeared despite I restored a backup after I reflashed OpenVix 5.0.002, the effects of those commands may have been restored by the settings backup.

I have since installed/used the Kodi backup programme add-on in the OS Mega, so hopefully I wouldn't have to enter all my Kodi settings again.

Recorded a 1 hour program with timeshift turned on and used 21.76 meg

Do you mean 21.76 gig? If so surely it is way too much and is indicative of hdd space loss (while 21.76 meg is far too little for an hour's hi res video).

Cheers!

I am using exe 4. I could use exe 3 but not sure what the difference is. Time shift usage goes with a reboot. But you are right it was 21 gig for 1 hour video. Not sure how to fix this issue

But you are right it was 21 gig for 1 hour video. Not sure how to fix this issue

Since you are on Openatv, the issue is clearly blind to whether the box is running Openvix or Openatv, and therefore the build/settings likely are not the fundamental cause. Hope it is not a bug in the disc controller, e.g., that can't be fixed by a simple system update.

Incidentally, I think like me you might find that even with timeshift turned off disc space still goes missing, as long as you record anything (or indeed pressing the pause button on the remote).

To establish that, you can turn the timeshift off, jot down how much hdd free space is left, do nothing but record a longish programme, then delete the recording, and jotting down the freespace again at least 15 minutes after the delete (it takes a little time for the system to reclaim deleted file space), and check if it is a similar value as before recording. If not then clearly space gets lost unreasonably with recording even with the timeshift off. Just to be sure of that, you can restart the machine and see whether now the free space is similar if not exactly the same as the first figure you jotted down before the recording, and/or now you have more free space than the second figure you jotted down after deleting the recording. Either result would indicate there is a bug somewhere responsible for gobbling disc space.

Others are having the same issue, see:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55917-What-is-eating-my-HDD-space

To me it is a big issue, for an otherwise fine box so far.

Last edited:
just opened my ftp and the one hour I recorded is 1.8 gb. But I have loads of, I assume timeshift programs. I thought they cleared after a restart but there still there. So I am going to turn it off. Then I will record something for an hour. Then I will ftp into my box and see what it has used.

Ok. So I recorded a 1 hour program. It used 15gb. I deleted the program and emptied it out the trash. But still showed 15gb. Restarted the box and was Back to original size. Time shift was off

Ok. So I recorded a 1 hour program. It used 15gb. I deleted the program and emptied it out the trash. But still showed 15gb. Restarted the box and was Back to original size. Time shift was off

Commiserations. We have problems on our hands... :xd: :dying: :dead:

Cheers Speedygonzal, I've managed to get my local area set, the Humber settings in AutoB(28.2E) made no difference, it was only by going in AutoBouquetsMaker / Providers / and picking the Freeview (UK) area Belmont (in my case) that the S*y epg changed. I don't know why the Freeview affected the S*y epg set up? I'm learning on the hoof here :)

I still need to find how to move from viewing a satellite feed to a terrestrial feed, is there an epg that can do that?

Having spent a bit of time today on understanding how the service searches and bouquet makers work, I might be able to help you. But it is all new to me, so if anybody finds anything below is wrong, please shout.

Incidentally in terms of terminology the epg is the whole/complete tv/radio/etc guide, a bouquet is a section (a vertical slice if you will) of the guide.

For Sat and Terrestrial feeds, it is better to use AutoBouquetMaker, because AutoBouquet E2 does not seem to have any control function over Freeview (or indeed Freesat).

I would therefore suggest you go into Menu / Setup / Services searching / AutoBouquetMaker / Configure, and ensure Setup mode is set to expert, and set Keep all non-ABM bouquets to no. It may help to set Add provider prefix to bouquets to yes initially, so that it is easy to know where you are when you flip between the bouquets. Press ok (green button).

For Providers, if you still haven't got a line then you probably want to set FreeSat and Freeview UK to yes, and perhaps google the suitable respective areas for where you are. For myself, because I want most of the Sly section bouquets, I pick yes only for the "generate main bouquet" for both Freesat and Freeview and no for their remaining bouquets, or else I would end up with scores of section bouquets in the epg. A most critical and non-obvious thing, to me anyway, is in setting the Sly UK area, in that one should pick the one with the word Custom (further down the list, e.g. do not pick London, but pick London Custom). The reason being that the custom lists have all the Sly HD channels (which are not decipherable and dead even if you have a line) replaced by the SD ones, so you do not end up with numerous dead channels in your epg's Sly bouquets. The other item worth picking yes, is the Sly UK swap channels, because then where available SD channels will be replaced by FTA HD ones. Once finished, press ok (green button).

Provider orders for most people would probably have Sly first, but if / since you have yet to get a line, you could put Freeview and/or Freesat on top. Again green button to save.

Regarding Hide sections, to start off with for testing purposes, you might not want to hide any. It is easy to fine tune later. Again green button to save.

Red button to exit the AutoBouquetMaker.

For Signal Finder, I would imagine anybody who has Sly feeds will see the signal being pretty good for Tuner A and B. For terrestrial reception tuner C should have already been set as DVB-T2 (Selected by Menu / Setup / Service searching / Tuner configuration, and do not forget to press the green button once chosen). If you google for the best local transponder and select it in the Transponder line for the terrestrial Tuner C in Signal Finder, you should also see the signal level, and you can scan with the green button to establish that it works.

Once you are happy with the above settings, either pick start scan or press the green button in the Services page to scan. You should now see the number of channels found as they are searched through Sly/Freesat/Freeview.

That's pretty much it. Another tip perhaps, is instead of reaching the epg / bouquets by pressing the epg button on the remote, when one is viewing a channel it is possible to get to them (although they look different) quicker by pressing the tv button near the middle of the remote (i.e. not the tv button at the top of the remote).

To check whether anything you are watching and/or recording is using which tuner (and therefore whether it is sat or terrestrial), I find it easiest to go into OpenWebIf (by simply entering the IP address of the box, which can be seen in Menu / Information / Network, into the address field of any browser on the same router as the box), and press the BoxInfo button at the bottom left.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Speedygonzal thanks mate, I've finally got there :) I put the Freeview 1st in provider order just to try it out, pressed epg and there it was. Because I only chose to have 2 Freeview bouquets the first S*y bouquet was also visible in the list (on Kiddac's Slyk1-HD skin), when I pressed the right arrow button the rest of the S*y bouquets appeared.
So I may well have had things sorted for a while, what I hadn't realised was that the right button could be used in that way, i.e. the way I now use it to bring in my Freeview bouquets they are set 2nd in my provider list.

No I haven't bothered to look into a line yet, there's another sharp learning curve :) not until I/we get the memory issue sorted out.

Did some playing today and pausing live tv seems to use large amounts of disk space about 1gb per minute is reported as used, based on 15 minute pause 15gb less space shown in devices. Then tried timeshift approx 5gb used in 10 minutes approx half the rate of use compared to pausing live tv. Once I resume playback on live tv or switch channel I get no further space loss but space is not recovered until fsck or reboot. Also with timeshift turned off I get no additional space used either but still not recovered till reboot or fsck. Recordings seem to be a different matter around 2.5 to 3 gb space is used for an hours hd recording dependent on channel used to record from. Once I delete the recording my space returns without any need to reboot etc

I've turned off the Timeshift on my OS Mini it has never really worked 100%.
Sometimes you would pause it and come back to watch again to be met with a blank screen or lock up.
I put it down to the box not being powerful enough but it should work perfectly on the Mega.

Timeshift itself works fine I can rewind pause etc it is the amount of space on hdd it is reported as using, approximately 10 times the space of a recording of same length.

Recordings seem to be a different matter around 2.5 to 3 gb space is used for an hours hd recording dependent on channel used to record from. Once I delete the recording my space returns without any need to reboot etc

Are you sure about this? I never get all the space used back after deleting a programme, despite disabling timeshift and trash and not touching the pause button.

If you have time, assuming timeshift and trash have been disabled, I wonder if you could:
1) restart the box, so that we start off with a clean sheet, hdd space wise, so to speak
2) Jot down the free space (from Menu / Information / Devices)
3) record some HD programmes overnight and nothing else that can't be deleted in the morning
4) Jot down the free space in the morning after the recordings have finished
5) Delete all and only those programmes recorded in 3)
8) Wait 15 minutes, then look up free space, is it exactly the same as the figure in 2)?
9) If not, restart the box, is free space now the same as the figure in 2)?

Cheers!

I just saw this posted in a forum elsewhere:

This is NOT a hardware issue, looks like a software issue bought in with the latest linux kernel. I've been testing this on various receivers, all report more HDD space used than actual recording size. Some more than others, after reboot HDD space is reported back correctly.

Seems to be more apparent on latest kernels. Mega is using 4.10 kernel. I'm reporting to Edision.

Back