Kodi keeps crashing

crocket81

I've Got a h96 912 octo core 3gb 32gb running pulse build, nearly every time I load kodi it crashes back to the home screen, has anyone got any idea why this does it cos it's rather starting to annoy me? Cheers people

You'll struggle on this front mate. It's another knock off Android box..... they're all a complete lottery.

I would try and look at the logcat and find out why it's crashing, but really, you're shit out of luck.

Cheers for the reply mate, can I ask what the logcat is and where did I find it?
Logcat is the standard Android system trace. Contains stuff like stack traces, system errors etc.

You could perhaps plug in a debug cable, but I guess the easiest way is to install an app like Catlog and then try and find the error. There will be hundreds of messages so you need to trigger the error, then open catlog and pause it. If you can do that, find the error, take a photo or copy and paste, post it on here, I'll have a look. You never know, I might be able to give you some advice, but as I say, it's a massive lottery. Also, if it's a driver issue or something then you're going to really struggle.

The best you can hope for is either a missing dependency, or a configuration issue.

This is a Kodi issue rather than an issue with the box & is easily fixed.

Anyone having issues with kodi closing either use SPMC instead (works just like kodi but is updated on a regular basis) or in Kodi go to System > Video > Acceleration > turn off Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec. Exit out of Kodi & start it again, play a few movies/video files stop the video then try navigating around kodi see if it crashes. If it does, do the same again & also disable "turn off Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec".

SPMC will run without having to do any of the above & is updated on a regular basis & fixes bugs not usually fixed by kodi themselves SPMC by koying

Also before you do anything else install malwarebytes from the app store & run a scan as some firmware for this box have a fake software update app installed, mine was fine but some people have reported it in the freaktab forums.

Last edited:
This is a Kodi issue rather than an issue with the box & is easily fixed.

Anyone having issues with kodi closing either use SPMC instead (works just like kodi but is updated on a regular basis) or in Kodi go to System > Video > Acceleration > turn off Allow hardware acceleration - amcodec. Exit out of Kodi & start it again, play a few movies/video files stop the video then try navigating around kodi see if it crashes. If it does, do the same again & also disable "turn off Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec".

SPMC will run without having to do any of the above & is updated on a regular basis & fixes bugs not usually fixed by kodi themselves SPMC by koying
You sure that's a Kodi issue? Sounds more likely to be a driver issue. If it was crashing on every device then I'd agree with you, but only on these dodgy boxes, then it's possibly a driver issue, especially when supporting hardware acceleration. Total minefield.

I'm 100% positive i have the exact same box & had the exact same issue when using kodi, doing either of what i said above will fix it.

Why do you insist on saying every android box is a dodgy box when you've not tried them for yourself, this box is one of the best android boxes you'll find anywhere & like i said previously this is a kodi issue & not an issue with the box, that's why SPMC works fine & kodi keeps crashing because it's a bug in kodi that wasn't fixed, but was in SPMC.

Back