cactikid

VIP Member
Not sure if hdd is on its way out or what,W 7 ultimate using mozilla is crashing alot or not responding and pages are taking there time to fully load.

Virus and malware scans upto date,i have been getting rid of crap stored cache and other stuff.

Bought laptop second hand about 5 or 6 years ASUS.

Not sure if i would know if hdd was on its way out no noises that are strange and not one for downloading to it.

Not sure if hdd is on its way out or what,W 7 ultimate using mozilla is crashing alot or not responding and pages are taking there time to fully load.

Virus and malware scans upto date,i have been getting rid of crap stored cache and other stuff.

Not sure if i would know if hdd was on its way out no noises that are strange and not one for downloading to it.
Stopped using mozilla about 10 years back.
They all tend to go the same way
Firefox
Mozilla
Chrome
Used them all for a few years each, great at first then useless.
Been using Opera for about four years now and it's exactly the same as it was on day one, works perfect all the time

But with laptop taking much longer to boot up and load desktop and another 4 or 5 mins to start firefox dont think its just a browser issue?

But with laptop taking much longer to boot up and load desktop and another 4 or 5 mins to start firefox dont think its just a browser issue?
You didn't mention boot up and loading desktop cactus, just mozilla.
Change the browser and run ccleaner a few times, also do a registry check in ccleaner

CC was done a weak ago and registry.
Doing a CHKDSK on it at the moment as thinking its the operating system is giving me the issues and not browser
Lists 2009 in the boot up Yikes!

In that case I'd say it's probably windows updates causing trouble.
Disable automatic updates as some of them are designed to trash the laptop in an effort to get you to upgrade.
I had this and was stunned when I discovered online that the upgrades were not upgrades at all and are impossible to install.
Bootup takes an age because it continuously downloads, tries to install and fails and loops over and over with the same one.
There's about five ms updates need permanently deleting and told not to install or attempt to install again

Probably have stopped with live updates but downloaded updates can still attempt to install or configure on bootup.
System doesn't 'know' whether the pending update has been there 12 seconds or 12 months so will attempt to install it.

If no more updates available you might want to go into automatic update settings and disable everything

I suggest try MyAsus - System Diagnosis - Hardware Check:
[NB/DT/AIO] MyASUS System Diagnosis - Introduction V2.0 | Official Support | ASUS Global
Get MyASUS - Microsoft Store en-GB

Seems like your HDD and web browser is fine. It will be the updates available for W7 and the support it caters for web browsing and other applications
Also, does your laptop have DDR3 RAM or older?

Make a back up of your personal stuff whilst you can. Then I suggest upgrading to W10 for free - download Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft, follow the instructions and use your W7 code to activate.

One of the signs of a failing HDD is slow and erratic behaviour so if it's still behaving like that with W10 then you need a new HDD better off getting an SSD your lappy will zip along then.

Scan report hopefully it can be read.
think laptop is too old as originally it was vista.
No idea what ram think i saw 3.0 but need to check specs and glasses again

Attachments

• HGST HTS545050A7E680-RBB50AM52JXSHS-SMART_mht.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 8
Probably best thing to do is backup any files you need a format and reinstall windows you can try this little cleaner first

you also mentioned 2009 in bootup is that bios date perhaps new cmos battery needed.

Attachments

• UnCleaner v1.7 Setup.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
No not needing a cmos battery as i had to get another laptop one done and mouse would not work ,3 or 4 weeks later got it back and e170 euro bill,brown trousers were free.
That had a time and date issue in right lower corner but this pc does not.
HDDscan still running and might be finished tonight/tomorrow.

When it boots up and loading stuff i saw 2009 thinking it must be that old.

No not needing a cmos battery as i had to get another laptop one done and mouse would not work ,3 or 4 weeks later got it back and e170 euro bill,brown trousers were free.
That had a time and date issue in right lower corner but this pc does not.
HDDscan still running and might be finished tonight/tomorrow.

When it boots up and loading stuff i saw 2009 thinking it must be that old.
That 2009 you saw was probably the age of the Bios.
Definitely make a backup as the longer the HDD is on the more likely it is to fail. Another tell tale sign is seeing icons on your home screen that weren't there before or have been moved around.
Most common cause of failure is the flying head no longer stays up on its cushion of air causing it to crash into the platters.

Nothing moving on icons on desktop but the odd times i do see them reloading as like when it boots up.No noise from hdd yet.

Ahh right 2009 bios could be it.

Leaving it running all night without shutting it down is worse then as i would leave it in standby as easier/quicker to get back up and running.

I have a Sony vaio 10 plus years old still on windows 7. Taken out recently to see if son could use it for school. Had similar issue slow boot up...ages to open anything even browsing internet ..at which point gave up and upgraded to Windows 10 and now back to normal great speeds etc. Might install a ssd later apparently might further improve it.

Nothing moving on icons on desktop but the odd times i do see them reloading as like when it boots up.No noise from hdd yet.

Ahh right 2009 bios could be it.

Leaving it running all night without shutting it down is worse then as i would leave it in standby as easier/quicker to get back up and running.
I would still make full backup with say acronis and format and reinstall windows , then you will see if any speed increase with clean system you can always recover from the backup.

Back