Motorised dish setup problem no signals

chris0147

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my satellite dish, because on 0.8west some channels have no signals, some channels goes with 0% signals then come up with 49% signals and it goes back to 0% signals. And I cant get all channels for the 16 east so I think my dish need to be aligned correctly.

I have checked on my dish elevation which it is 22.6 degree. The motor elevation is 39 degree, latitude is 51 degree and motor angle is 7.4 degree. According to dishpointer.com, it say that my dish elevation should be 23 degree. Do I need to change it?

In my receiver I have put the latitude as 51.12 and longitude 1.23 as my sat installer suggested me to put the correct settings. According to dispointer.com, it say that my latitude should be 51.21 and longitude 1.33. Do I need to change it?

Do you know what I need to do for the start to make the adjustments on my dish??

Any advice would be much appreicated.

Hotbird is on 13.0,hopefully others can advise in adjusting what settings.

What type of box might be asked.

What do you mean by hotbird is on 13.0?

I am talking about the 0.8west as I am getting no signals for some channels and no signals for 16east.

I am using octagon sf8008 receiver.

You did mention hotbird 16e but maybe you meant Eutelsat 16a. 16E.
Last week my old settings had changed and new settings added i still got no signal on hotbird and sat engineer re tweaked my dish and now it locks.
Unknown if its a loose cable but should effect all or windy weather it only happens.
How often are you channels updated in case of movement.

Bookmark this link to see if your channels have the same info on your sat.

Astra 2E / Astra 2F / Astra 2G (28.2°E) - All transmissions - frequencies - KingOfSat

This is now the third forum you have opened the same thread on. You have been given excellent advice from other members on sorting out your issues but don’t seem to be taking it in/getting anywhere.

Good luck sorting your issues.

Your dish is out of alignment, if you are based in the uk you should get a good lock on 0.8e. If you are struggling with 0.8e you have no chance of 16e as it is a weak satellite.

Your dish is out of alignment, if you are based in the uk you should get a good lock on 0.8e. If you are struggling with 0.8e you have no chance of 16e as it is a weak satellite.

Yeah I am aware that my dish is out of alignment so I am going to sort it out. When I had a good signals for 0.8west, I can get some channels on 16e but still not get many due to dish out of alignment.

Do you know what alignment I need to do for my dish?

Do you know what alignment I need to do for my dish?
One where you get the maximum signal levels on your due south satellite, most eastern satellite, most western satellite. Refer to the picture that Jenseneverest uploaded for you for the adjustments you need to make. As you cannot reach the dish, I don't know how you are going to do that.

Hardware: Ensure mount is plumb. ( Almost impossible on your bracket. You have refused to use T & K brackets)
Hardware: Set motor to correct latitude for you. You never have to touch this again.
Hardware: Ensure dish is straight on motor arm. Refer to the picture that was uploaded for you.

Software: Set receiver for correct co-ordinates
Software: Transfer a recent channel list so you can select channels and do not have to scan.

Software: Send receiver to due south satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on due south satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

Software: Send receiver to eastern satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on eastern satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

Software: Send receiver to western satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on western satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

One where you get the maximum signal levels on your due south satellite, most eastern satellite, most western satellite. Refer to the picture that Jenseneverest uploaded for you for the adjustments you need to make. As you cannot reach the dish, I don't know how you are going to do that.

Hardware: Ensure mount is plumb. ( Almost impossible on your bracket. You have refused to use T & K brackets)
Hardware: Set motor to correct latitude for you. You never have to touch this again.
Hardware: Ensure dish is straight on motor arm. Refer to the picture that was uploaded for you.

Software: Set receiver for correct co-ordinates
Software: Transfer a recent channel list so you can select channels and do not have to scan.

Software: Send receiver to due south satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on due south satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

Software: Send receiver to eastern satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on eastern satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

Software: Send receiver to western satellite. I.e select a channel.
Hardware: Tweak dish for maximum reception on western satellite. Do this for several services, not just on strong transponders. so you can Rotate whole assembly around mount and/or adjust dish angle. You never touch motor once it is set.

I have bought a folding ladder so I am going to do it.

Don't worry, I am going to check my bracket to make sure that the mount pole is vertical. If it is not vertical, I am going to change it.

Okay, I am going to check the motor to make sure that the latitude is the correct settings. I will check to make sure that my dish is straight or check the motor arm to make sure it is straight?

I have changed the latitude and longitude that I got it from dishpointer.com.

I don't have a recent channel list, so where I can get it from?

I am using openatv 6.4 image and my receiver is octagon sf8008.

I am going to move my dish to 0.8west and I will select the several channels that have very low signals so I will tweak the dish to improve the signals and check for other channels. Do I have to move the dish up slightly?

If I get the signals for 0.8west and I get no signals for 16east, can I adjust my dish to improve the signals if it would not affect the signals for other satellites?

I'd find that your post are very helpful. You should have post that on the other forum but don't worry about it I got this now as I will know what to do.

Personal opinion I would drive my satellite dish to Thor 0.8 west Use high responsive
Channel BBC world service news Make the
necessary adjustments To get the Maximum s.n.r

This is good calculator site

s://satlex.de/en/azel_calc.html

I don't have a recent channel list, so where I can get it from?
You can use the one by Ciefp uploaded for you on the other forum or install V-Hannibal's version. It will be listed in Settings in the plugins menu.

If you dish/motor is aligned correctly, it will find all services for which you are in the reception area. 16e should be fine in Kent on an 80cm dish

You can use the one by Ciefp uploaded for you on the other forum or install V-Hannibal's version. It will be listed in Settings in the plugins menu.

If you dish/motor is aligned correctly, it will find all services for which you are in the reception area. 16e should be fine in Kent on an 80cm dish

Thank you I will take a look.

When I adjust my dish, do I have to move the dish up or down slightly to improve the signals?

Yeah I agree that 16e should be fine in Kent on an 80cm so I don't have to upgrade it.

When i move my dish to 16.e from 0.8west and if i get no signals for 16e, what do I need to do?

Digital lever is best for making sure your
Brackets pole are at 90 degrees
Make sure the motor is set to zero
And the latitude scale is set correct on the motor
Set your dish elevation to 27.4
ROTATE the dish and polar head on the mounting pole so the dish is facing true south
Look down at the polar head and dish ,to make sure they are all in line Tighten the fixing
Bolts hand tight The compass with the above
App will help you find true south
With the usual settings with in the reciever
Drive the motor to your reference satellite
In your case is 0.8 west
Move the polar head left or right slightly
When moving the elevation off the dish.up or
Down to peak the signal With thor 0.8 west your s.n.r should be 90 +
The next step is to rotate the dish on the polar head to find a reference satellite to the East
Astra at 28 East This can be done with the usual settings with in the reciever.Move the .dish east and west to maximise the Signal,then slacked the elevation adjustment bolts Peak the signal level retighten the bolts
Next rotate the dish on its polar head to find a satellite to the west and maximise the Signal Then without loosening the elevation bolts flex the dish up and down by hand to see if the signal can be increasedIf so the polsr head must be adjusted very slightily on the mounting pole and the whole procedure repeated until no increase in the signal can be
Obtained on either the East or West satellite Move the dish to find a satellite near as possible to due south Check the signal is still peaked If not readjust the declination angle setting on the dish very slightily Repeat the whole procedure until the signal level is peaked on all satellites

Thank you for your help linesman66, I'm finding this very useful and easy to know what to do but I'm bit stuck there.

I can't adjust my dish elevation to 27.4 because my area can only have 23 not 27.4.

What do you mean by the polar head?

Do you mean the dish that I have to move left or right to improve the signals?

Do I have to move the dish up and down as well to improve the signals?

If so I need to buy sat meter so I can take the reading while I adjust the dish.

When I get the signals up to 90%, do I have to move the dish to 30 east to 30 west and do the same adjustment if I get little or no signals?

The satellite elevation in the above post was
Just example The polar head is the motor
When your bracket is exactly 90degrees
Use a compass app for your phone To move
The motor to face true south Hold the phone to side off the motor If you hold it underneath it will effect your reading
When the motor If facing south attach your
Satellite dish Make sure the polar head
Satellite dish are directly in line Facing south In dishpointer.com add your postcode select motorisied system true
South This will give you your longitude
Latitude Roughily where to point your
Satellite dish to true south

This Is good video for positioner selected
Satellites

Just a word of wisdom - don't take the elevation levels etc. given by dishpointer as gospel - once you have your latitude and longitude, use the chart that comes with your motor to get the correct elevation. This is where I went wrong on mine and it was slightly out and gave similar issues as to what you're having but once i'd corrected it, it was and still is perfect.

Just a word of wisdom - don't take the elevation levels etc. given by dishpointer as gospel - once you have your latitude and longitude, use the chart that comes with your motor to get the correct elevation. This is where I went wrong on mine and it was slightly out and gave similar issues as to what you're having but once i'd corrected it, it was and still is perfect.

Thank you for your help. What did you do that you resolved the issue?

I have put the correct latitude and longitude in my receiver. I will check on my motor latitude when I take the chance. If my latitude is correct, do I need to undo the nut on the motor arm and move the dish to east/west to improve the signals after I move my dish to 0.8west?

Your motor latitude should be the same
As the latitude you enter in your reciever
When you check all the satellites from east
To west If you are not getting high enough
S.n.r on the transponders you then might
Have to adjust your motor latitude by 1mm
This is called the correct error

Your motor latitude should be the same
As the latitude you enter in your reciever
When you check all the satellites from east
To west If you are not getting high enough
S.n.r on the transponders you then might
Have to adjust your motor latitude by 1mm
This is called the correct error
Yeah I will do that. I will check on my motor latitude so if my motor latitude is the correct settings, do I have to move the dish to the west/east after when I move my dish to 0.8west?

Back