My radiators get hot when I run the hot water taps ? is that right or something wrong ?

pisshead

My radiators get hot when I run the hot water taps even though I don't have the heating switched on ? is that right or is something wrong ?

I have a Gas Combi Boiler for my heating and hot water, approx 10 years old.

Any radiators that are left in the on position at their thermostat valve controls ( they are usually left turned up full for when I do switch the heating on), the radiators get hot when I run the hot water taps in the house without the heating being switched on as I stated, I have noticed this for a long time and thought it was normal but as summer approaches again I would rather not be cooked in the house every time I need to wash or take a bath etc, the only way I can get this to stop happening when I run hot water is to manually go around the whole house and turn all the thermostat control valves off on each radiator which as you can imagine is a total pain in the neck.

Can anyone in the know about these things please let me know what they think thanks guys ?

I had problems with one of these valve thingies years ago and it was doing the same.
It might be built into the boiler these days.

So it defo sounds and looks like a fault 100% then, right ? Sorry for sounding daft but I need to know for sure as I'm ready to challenge the mob that fitted the system as they are trying to say that it's normal, so the more ammo I have to fire at them the better you see :)

The radiator in my bathroom is guilty of the same offence. Its true but this post made me laugh after a long day.
Respect to all.
PS..I am not a plumber.
Time for some Sly Sports Snooze xx

@pisshead
its completely wrong if you have a combi system,
the radiators and central heating should be completely seperate, if they have fitted a 3port valve make them take it out and fit 2 x 2 ports, 3 port valves are at best a bodge, and it seems someone hadnt a clue how to wire it.
actually, unless you have a big house with more than one heating zone you shouldnt have any valves,
something is seriously wrong if you have a combi that heats the rads up,
something seriously wrong

@NOODLES if you have a system boiler this may be completely normal, the bathroom rad is often used as a pump over-run and will sometimes get hot even if you dont want it to, its often used as a bypass to preserve the life of your boilers heat exchanger.

@pisshead
its completely wrong if you have a combi system,
the radiators and central heating should be completely seperate, if they have fitted a 3port valve make them take it out and fit 2 x 2 ports, 3 port valves are at best a bodge, and it seems someone hadnt a clue how to wire it.
actually, unless you have a big house with more than one heating zone you shouldnt have any valves,
something is seriously wrong if you have a combi that heats the rads up,
something seriously wrong

@NOODLES if you have a system boiler this may be completely normal, the bathroom rad is often used as a pump over-run and will sometimes get hot even if you dont want it to, its often used as a bypass to preserve the life of your boilers heat exchanger.

wow man, that serious, wow :unsure:, could it be dangerous ?

wow man, that serious, wow :unsure:, could it be dangerous ?

yes, your hot water works on mains pressure,
your radiators work on a closed loop pressure, usually between 1 and 3 bar, mains could be up to perhaps 7 or 9 bar,
highly unlikely your radiator pipework could handle that pressure.
you need to get them back ASAP

what do you mean with more than one heating zone mate, I don't have a clue, its just a standard end terrace house up and downstairs etc, the boiler and house is only 10 years old too ?

unlikely you have more than 1 zone,
some larger houses have seperate stats for upstairs and downstairs, each stat represents a zone, or at least it should, you most likely have one standard stat

It was just a stab in the dark mate. I used to have one of those valves in the airing cupboard years ago.
At least we're getting some expert advice now (y)

I'm not a plumber mate
but, I am a Spark with a USP ( speciality ) in heating systems, in fact, I travelled from Manchester to Eastbourne last week to wire one in, that was actually a fairly basic system if you understand how they really work, and not just go by drawings supplied with boilers.

@steptoe , what do you mean with a "stat" mate ? do you maybe mean the thermostat on the wall in the hall or maybe a thermostat on all of the Radiators possibly as all my radiators have their own control knob thermostat thingy that can be turned up and down to desired tempreature

It was just a stab in the dark mate. I used to have one of those valves in the airing cupboard years ago.
At least we're getting some expert advice now (y)
very common mate when it went from an old fire back boiler to a gas [ or oil ] boiler

Back