playback recordings blank on one box

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
OK I have 2 boxes, VU+ Uno 4k with ATV 7.2 installed, and H5.2tc using ATV 6.4

The VU+ has an external HDD connected and I use this box for recording from sat channels. The H52tc has the HDD mounted as a network mount.

On the H52tc I can play and watch the recordings fine.

On the VU+ I can't, I just get a blank screen, if I press OK, it shows the time bar, with the correct recording length etc but nothing plays.

I don't know how long this has been like this but I know it has worked before so something recent has caused it to stop working. It is the same with both older recordings and recent recordings.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

First thing to check if your storage device is seen from the menu?

If not maybe a power off / on might show it again.

Next is your externally powered hdd mounted on the box.

Forgot to mention i had many failed recordings as the name might not match the recording or was at a different time.
Some recordings done said 0 mins.

Last edited:
I'd have thought it might be incorrect recording or playback format?
I very rarely record anything but it seems strange you've got the seek bar and correct time length etc, this looks like it's playing but the picture isn't actually visible.
I'd set it up the same way as the working one if possible

First thing to check if your storage device is seen from the menu?

If not maybe a power off / on might show it again.

Next is your externally powered hdd mounted on the box.

Forgot to mention i had many failed recordings as the name might not match the recording or was at a different time.
Some recordings done said 0 mins.

Yes, the HDD is seen by the box, the VU has the hdd plugged into it, and records to it. The recordings can be played back on the h52tc and on my laptop so they are definately recorded OK, it's just the VU+ isn't playing them.
ie tonight the wife recorded on the VU+ eastenders, we tried watching it later and it just displayed blank picture, if I try playing on h52tc it plays fine, I was also able to play it on laptop

so it's not failing to record, it's just not playing them.

I'd have thought it might be incorrect recording or playback format?
I very rarely record anything but it seems strange you've got the seek bar and correct time length etc, this looks like it's playing but the picture isn't actually visible.
I'd set it up the same way as the working one if possible
yea the mrs is old school and likes recording her soaps rather than using catchup. I might reflash box if I can't get it to work any other way. windows had to install a codec to play it but it did play after that. Just odd that it plays fine on old out of date image (h52tc using atv 6.4) but not on newer image.

Have you tried serviceapp and using a different player?
I had never used service app before so installed it, for playback it gave me options original or serviceapp and player gstplayer but further down serviceMP3 show GstPlayer not installed. I tried playback system as serviceapp and it was the same, just a blank picture.

The vu is actually recording the programmes but unable to play them back, yes?
My guess is codecs, no idea how to resolve this but it may be py3 related?

The vu is actually recording the programmes but unable to play them back, yes?
My guess is codecs, no idea how to resolve this but it may be py3 related?
Yes that's right, but I am sure I've watched a recording on it since I last updated the box but could be wrong. but then I've not done any software updates so nothing should have changed. totally baffled

I don't bother with updates, IME they cause more problems than they solve.
Might be time to reflash for the sake of half an hour setting up again

What are the mountpoints please?
df -Th

Are you able to see the same mount and path that the zgemma is accessing?
on the VU+ which has the hdd connected and mounted at /media/hdd

Code:
root@vuuno4k:~# df -Th
Filesystem           Type            Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root            ext4            3.5G    744.8M      2.6G  22% /
devtmpfs             devtmpfs      361.9M      4.0K    361.9M   0% /dev
tmpfs                tmpfs          64.0K         0     64.0K   0% /media
tmpfs                tmpfs         370.1M    232.0K    369.8M   0% /var/volatile
/dev/sda1            ext4          930.4G    102.8G    827.6G  11% /media/hdd
/dev/sda1            ext4          930.4G    102.8G    827.6G  11% /media/sda1

On the h52tc which has hdd mounted as nfs mount on /media/net/vuuno

Code:
root@bedroom:~# df -Th
Filesystem           Type            Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
ubi0:rootfs          ubifs         216.9M    154.5M     62.4M  71% /
devtmpfs             devtmpfs      152.5M      4.0K    152.5M   0% /dev
tmpfs                tmpfs          64.0K         0     64.0K   0% /media
tmpfs                tmpfs         152.6M    148.0K    152.5M   0% /var/volatile
/dev/sda1            ext4           28.8G    593.7M     28.2G   2% /media/hdd
192.168.0.4:/media/hdd
                     nfs           930.4G    102.8G    827.6G  11% /media/net/vuuno

both boxes see the recordings in the 'file list' as expected, and if I do ls on the mount they both see the same files. it's just the VU+ isn't playing them

The mountpoints have somehow got corrupt. The same storage device is mounted twice with different mountpoints (hdd and sda1). As HDD slots in at back, try following:
Deep standby, remove PSU for a minute
Remove HDD
Connect PSU, Power on
Deep standby
Reconnect HDD
Power on
Check mountpoints again, if duplication is gone, try playback.

Otherwise, you will have to change them in mount manager

I had never used service app before so installed it, for playback it gave me options original or serviceapp and player gstplayer but further down serviceMP3 show GstPlayer not installed. I tried playback system as serviceapp and it was the same, just a blank picture.
You don't need to set anything up. Just install it and in the movie list, highlight the recording and press menu. It will give you the option to use other players.

Attachments

• 1_0_19_CD6E_844_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20230719110706.jpg
    1_0_19_CD6E_844_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20230719110706.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 3
You don't need to set anything up. Just install it and in the movie list, highlight the recording and press menu. It will give you the option to use other players.
Did this before trying @Abu Baniaz suggestion and it worked, when I do that does it apply to all playbacks from that point as I went to another recording after and that then played fine by just pressing play button.

The mountpoints have somehow got corrupt. The same storage device is mounted twice with different mountpoints (hdd and sda1). As HDD slots in at back, try following:
Deep standby, remove PSU for a minute
Remove HDD
Connect PSU, Power on
Deep standby
Reconnect HDD
Power on
Check mountpoints again, if duplication is gone, try playback.

Otherwise, you will have to change them in mount manager
Did this after doing @Willo3092 suggestion and it has got rid of the duplicate mount

Not sure which fixed what but playback is now working fine, thanks for the help

Back