Pub News.

There was a very big Porbeagle shark spotted between Whitby and Hartlepool so I rang sports angler Sam Harris to see if he wanted to have a go at catching and releasing it for publicity. Sam has caught big fish all over the world and had some special bait additive sent from Florida. I picked a nice tide and dropped a bag of rubby dubby down the anchor cable and waited. We had four full mackerel baits out at different depths suspended from balloons on barbless circle hooks. We waited and waited for 7 hours and nothing showed. As we wound the last bait in the boatman shouted 'FOOK FOOK Look under the boat'

We couldn't see a thing because of the glare on the water but the boatman had sunglasses on and was jumping around shouting look look and said You are going to need a bigger boat. Me and Sam never even saw it, but in jest the boatman called me Quint the skipper from the Orca and I called him Looky :love:

1584994619958.png

My boatman Clive was a wind up merchant and I never took him seriously. Sam Harris rang me a few days later and said a ten foot Porbeagle was spotted off Blythe beach and we should fish for it there but by then the mackerel were gone. More and bigger porbeagles and Makos are caught now than ever before.

Shark Caught Off Whitby Coast

Last edited:
Back