Pub News.

Jethro

TK Veteran
Have the government told the pubs they have to shut, or am they just advising them to, and what's the law if they stay open does anyone know ??.

They have not forced them too, they have asked them to shut from tonight. Spoons dude was on today saying he's staying open

I think the 80 per cent of workers wages being paid by the Goverment will help all the bars and clubs come to the decision to close, although it should take around 4 to 6 weeks to kick in.

They have not forced them too, they have asked them to shut from tonight. Spoons dude was on today saying he's staying open
According to bbc news headlines Boris Johnson has told them to shut, not asked them, plus not to open tomorrow.

I think they are expecting most if not all to close, but there has been no warnings given yet, I cant help thinking its all gonna have a major effect on peoples mental wellbeing, just think of how many thousands of people go out for an escape to the pub for a few hours to get their heads showered, but its going to be the way of things now, hopefully when its all over and things start to get back to normal, we will all appreciate the things that we have been missing more than ever, the boozer, football on TV, sport in general and doing a proper bit of shopping, apologies if I have missed anything.

I've just got to my local.
It shuts at 10pm, direct orders from the brewery.
Not opening again until BoJo gives the nod. , possibly 6 months or longer

Thats it, they are talking September over here, at least, its gonna be a long 6 months for an awful lot of folks.

This chaps talking about doing Sunday dinners delivered rather than dine-in.
Maybe other meals one night a week.
He may make a few hundred quid a month if he's lucky

He's just played "We'll Meet Again" by Vera Lynn FFS.
During the blitz we could still go for a pint

Last edited:
We decided to stay out in our place in Spain.
All shops including bars cafes and restaurants were closed by order of the government last Friday. Which now just leaves supermarkets, pharmacies, petshops and petrol stations open .
Only one person per family is allowed to go out shopping, car or walking.
My friends who elected to go back to southern Ireland today were only allowed one passenger per taxi so it was two cabs at €70 each to get to the airport.
People with dogs officially only one person allowed to walk it, no more than 500 metres and in some areas where they have been sharing a dog for exercise you now have to take your documents to prove that the dog is yours!
The only good thing is that there is no panic buying and supermarkets are fully stocked.
Let's see how the UK survive with just bars shut!!

We decided to stay out in our place in Spain.
All shops including bars cafes and restaurants were closed by order of the government last Friday. Which now just leaves supermarkets, pharmacies, petshops and petrol stations open .
Only one person per family is allowed to go out shopping, car or walking.
My friends who elected to go back to southern Ireland today were only allowed one passenger per taxi so it was two cabs at €70 each to get to the airport.
People with dogs officially only one person allowed to walk it, no more than 500 metres and in some areas where they have been sharing a dog for exercise you now have to take your documents to prove that the dog is yours!
The only good thing is that there is no panic buying and supermarkets are fully stocked.
Let's see how the UK survive with just bars shut!!
I'm rapidly losing the will to live as I contemplate 6 months without a pub, sport, holidays, parties, barbecues and everything else, I might move to America, apparently it's all going to be over in thirty days according to the Trumpmeister.
I've just put this on jukebox as a parting shot

Will have a major affect on jobs and people's life styles with these placing shutting for foreseeable future.

These places always been useful for letting off steam and just meeting your friends.

Pub near me shut at 8. Dead no one insight really seemed odd as pub is near local shopping center which was all dead at 4. Not sure how many months these places will be shut, but will affect everyone in ways that can't be foreseen. At least employees/workers and the employers are going to be protected by government in such a situation.

Last edited:
It had to happen.
All taxi drivers now destitute as almost all are self employed.
All restaurants now closed which will put extra strain on supermarkets for food but this will ease off in coming weeks, people can only hoard so much and then the supermarkets won't be able to sell their stocks as no one buying.
Pubs were more than just pints. Darts and pool teams, quiz teams, social hubs where old people met for coffee and cakes each week and obviously massive employers of part time staff , single mums and young students etc, all gone now

lets just hope these pubs and restaurants don't make their staff redundant but instead make use of the government funding to carry on paying the staff at 80% of wage

You would think workers will keep their jobs with the help from the government.

But people off sick and businesses closing its all up in the air and unfortunately jobs may be lost. Which in turn will severely affect the livelihood of people as no income coming in means bills can't be paid, not able buy food etc

lets just hope these pubs and restaurants don't make their staff redundant but instead make use of the government funding to carry on paying the staff at 80% of wage
I was talking to our pub manager who said they would stay open until they were forced to close by the government. If they closed voluntarily they could not claim funding for their staff. Don't know if it is true but that's what he said.

I was talking to our pub manager who said they would stay open until they were forced to close by the government. If they closed voluntarily they could not claim funding for their staff. Don't know if it is true but that's what he said.
They was told by the government yesturday that they have to close, it couldn't have been said any clearer.

Back