Rep Of Ireland V Italy

Right lads, over the last few weeks i have found that a lot of people here know their stuff when it comes to the beautiful game, so the Question is, if you had a free hand to pick the team what would your starting eleven be??

Heres mine, my strategy would be to get the opposing team to take their eye off the ball
great%20football%20team.jpg
lol

Ok back to topic :sorry:

Hunt Calls Dunphy "A Skinny Little Rat" lol

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Stephen Hunt has branded Eamon Dunphy a 'skinny little rat' after the pundit described Ireland's performance in drawing with Italy as 'shameful'.

Speaking ahead of the final World Cup qualifier against Montenegro, Hunt was critical of a few pundits who, in his words, 'say stuff for the sake of saying it - to be the bad cop.'

However, most of his frustration was aimed at Eamon Dunphy. Hunt explained: 'People in the press write columns. I know one or two of them do it and they generally don't turn up here.

'That's the truth of it but they say things for the sake of it and you think, what are they doing? What are they trying to achieve? Sell more newspapers or get more viewers? It's ridiculous.

'Where do they get their kicks from? And especially Dunphy, he should know better by now. He's a skinny rat, a skinny little rat.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1013/hunts.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trapattoni Defends "Winning" Players

Tuesday, 13 October 2009

Manager Giovanni Trapattoni has defended his Republic of Ireland team's pragmatic approach to playing football at a press conference in Malahide today.

Ireland came within minutes of securing a victory over Italy, the current world champions, on Saturday night but had to settle for a draw after a late goal by Alberto Gilardino.

Discussing his selection policy and philosophy, Trapattoni said: 'There are players, good players, beautiful players, but they are not winning players. There's a big difference.

'Many Irish people have offered their congratulations on the game and also in Italy, many, many, many people - not just friends - have congratulated us for how we played the game against Italy.

'We have convinced them that we are a team that gets results. We have shown against Italy, and also against Italy in Bari, we can play against any opponent.'

Trapattoni been criticised by numerous expert analysts, including RTÉ panel members Eamon Dunphy and John Giles, for excluding Sunderland's Andy Reid from the squad. He has also pursued a policy of selecting players from the lower reaches of the Premier League and outside it such as Liam Lawrence, Glenn Whelan and Martin Rowlands.

The 70-year-old has also been accused of forcing Ireland to play a negative brand of football.

Trapattoni said: 'In football, there are players who are aesthetically pleasing, and there are winning players. Some players may be beautiful to watch, but it is not enough. You need to win. There is poetry and there are novels. Novels are different to poetry.'

Commenting specifically on the criticism of the team by the RTÉ panel and Dunphy in particular, Trapattoni continued: 'It's his opinion. Many other reporters from other countries say Ireland played well.

'I respect their opinion, but there are other opinions.'

Shay Given, like full-back Kevin Kilbane, will win his 100th cap tomorrow night with the keeper wearing the captain's armband despite having a booking to his name.

But while Trapattoni is confident Given has the experience not to collect a second yellow card which would rule him out of the first play-off game, he will not extend that to midfielders Keith Andrews and Aiden McGeady.

He said: 'We won't take a risk'.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1013/trapattonig.html

I dont know much about soccer but i will agree with Stephen Hunt And especially Dunphy, he should know better by now. He's a skinny rat, a skinny little rat.'that was hilarious LOL good post Noely (y)

have to say that i agree with hom. Dunphy talks for the sake of it, whereas Giles has some cop on and played at a good level and also managed internationally

i watched this game, you can never write off the italians! stepping it up a gear when needed, needed andy reid in there,

also does anyone rate stephen reid? or his he a injured waste of a shirt!

Back