Should Gary Linekar be sacked by the BBC for his latest political comments?

If it’s in his contract to remain impartial then they have every right to suspend / terminate the contract , if he wants free speech then he needs to find another employer. As for everyone else refusing to work , their Gonna look sheepish when Lineker leaves and they still want the contract.

If it’s in his contract to remain impartial then they have every right to suspend / terminate the contract , if he wants free speech then he needs to find another employer. As for everyone else refusing to work , their Gonna look sheepish when Lineker leaves and they still want the contract.
The BBC will have to sack or suspend most of there staff then from the Director down! Not really about free speech it's a bout a opinion he shared on social media that probably half the country agrees with!

The BBC will have to sack or suspend most of there staff then from the Director down! Not really about free speech it's a bout a opinion he shared on social media that probably half the country agrees with!
Which means the other half don't.

BBC might be using this as an excuse to get rid of the sport side, drop MOTD and Final Score completely and put the half billion quid to better use.

Ready made reason, "we've lost all our presenters but we may look into getting it up and running again in a few years time"

And that's the last you hear about it.

They paid £400m for highlights :cautious:

Total waste of money when everyone has internet access and can follow live scores and see highlights on youtube

Seriously,?
You think half the country wants economic migrants coming to the UK to claim benefits and be a drain on the NHS and system ?

Will be less than half , that’s why people voted for brexit . Whether people agree or not , if its written into his contract the bbc have a right to do what they have done. Lineker might not have wrote that if they were all gonna come and live next door to him

Seriously,?
You think half the country wants economic migrants coming to the UK to claim benefits and be a drain on the NHS and system ?
No but they probably want a solution to the problem that may work or get off the ground!, not pie in the sky schemes like Ruanda or paying France to watch them leave in dingies

When I started the thread I asked the question - Should Linekar be sacked?. I used the word 'sacked' in its broardest sense. I am fully aware he is on a contract, to me if you have your contract terminated its the same as being 'sacked' it is to most people. Shoot me for the inaccuracy!
As for my 2nd point certain members have taken issue with my (and many others) interpretation of Linekar's quote - "not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s" to me that is a reference to the Nazi era 1933-1945, an historical fact. By inference Linekar compares the language of the government with the Nazis. People can use semantics all day long but that is my opinion and it will not change

Last edited:
well its going to be an interesting format tonight as the MOTD commentators have also 'step down' from tonights show although they can use other commentary feeds

As commentators on MOTD, we have decided to step down from tomorrow night’s broadcast. We are comforted that football fans who want to watch their teams should still be able to do so, as management can use World Feed commentary if they wish.

I wonder how many people it takes to agree with Lineker for his opinion to be seen as the widely held view and not controversial.

It’s only controversial because of the way the bbc is funded and therefore has this impartiality thing. If he didn’t front motd his opinion would not have even got a thread on this forum

well its going to be an interesting format tonight as the MOTD commentators have also 'step down' from tonights show although they can use other commentary feeds

I'd say a lot of fans will be happy not having to listen to some of the so called commentators,
I know I sometimes watch Motorsport and wish some of them would just STFU

Back