[SOLVED] Firestick 3rd Gen - Freezing

I'm trying to isolate the issues I've been having since starting my IPTV journey recently.
My hunch is that my Firestick is just underpowered as my network appears to be fine and I can stream UHD channels fine on my iPhone (on the same network).

My bind is I don't want to drop the money on a new streaming stick and waste the money if it doesn't fix the issue.

What is happening:
  • My Firestick 3rd Gen (not 4k version) is freezing on certain sports channels using Tivimate
  • I have the GSE IPTV app on my iPhone and there is no buffering on 4k UHD channels or the 1080p channels - so it's not my network.
  • Both are on the same wifi network
  • Analiti shows 300/100 speeds on Firestick.
  • Running speedtest on iphone shows 300/100 too.
What I've tried:
  • Restarted/Reset Firestick. No change.
  • VPN on Firestick, no change in behaviour.
  • MPEG TS to HLS. No change.
  • Playing with buffer size, small, none, large, etc. No change.
  • Xray mode - seems like when the input bitrate goes over 8000 is when it buffers on 1080p.
  • I can play movies at high bitrate on my plex (over 8000) with no lag or issues but hardware acceleration is on... so maybe that's why?
  • I setup VLC as an external player and still getting freezing/buffering when bitrate is high. Hardware accelerated is YES too.

Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

Maybe a ram issue.
Not sure how much spare ram there is on the Firestick but I did some testing on my device and to run a UHD iptv channel using Tivimate took about an extra 500mb of ram.
When the device is just running the OS and only running background apps the ram used is 1.75gb of ram and I have 4gb of ram.
Probably 2gb of ram are being pushed to the limit when viewing UHD channels.

Try another app like smarters , see if you get the same issue.
Sorry should've said - have tried different apps including smarters and the custom one they provide. Same freezing result.

Maybe a ram issue.
Not sure how much spare ram there is on the Firestick but I did some testing on my device and to run a UHD iptv channel using Tivimate took about an extra 500mb of ram.
When the device is just running the OS and only running background apps the ram used is 1.75gb of ram and I have 4gb of ram.
Probably 2gb of ram are being pushed to the limit when viewing UHD channels.
Interesting. So my firestick is 3rd gen non 4k. It only has 1gb of ram. But in saying that when I turn on the xray functionality on the firestick which shows memory usage, etc, there's about 200MB left when streaming 1080p on the channel that freezes.

I've only got a 1080p TV - too broke at the moment to buy an upgrade so not too concerned with UHD at the moment. But when I do try it, it can't play it. I assume because it has to stream it and process it back to native resolution (1080p).

It’s clear that the issue belongs with the stick you need to buy another device. Try the device on another tv see if you the same problem. Try a different provider?

Sorry should've said - have tried different apps including smarters and the custom one they provide. Same freezing result.

Interesting. So my firestick is 3rd gen non 4k. It only has 1gb of ram. But in saying that when I turn on the xray functionality on the firestick which shows memory usage, etc, there's about 200MB left when streaming 1080p on the channel that freezes.

I've only got a 1080p TV - too broke at the moment to buy an upgrade so not too concerned with UHD at the moment. But when I do try it, it can't play it. I assume because it has to stream it and process it back to native resolution (1080p).
You have no issues viewing your sub on your phone, so that means it’s not a provider issue.
Running a VPN does not improve the issue.
The next thing is connect the Firestick with a Ethernet adapter if you haven’t tried that.
If that does not help the issue.
The only other option is to try a different device.

Ok - It looks like I will need to go source a 2 in 1 micro usb OTG cable according to this video:

I already have a USB hub with ethernet.

Will report back how that goes.

Or you can try to factory reset your firestick and then try because I done a friends firestick few weeks ago and his stick was pretty old than the 3rd gen stick and it worked fine no freezing at all.

Or you can try to factory reset your firestick and then try because I done a friends firestick few weeks ago and his stick was pretty old than the 3rd gen stick and it worked fine no freezing at all.
Yeah I tried this - didn't make a difference.

So if it's a 3rd gen none 4k stick it ain't gonna work ?

4k channels on a none 4k stick I don't think it will work

So if it's a 3rd gen none 4k stick it ain't gonna work ?

4k channels on a none 4k stick I don't think it will work
Most devices should just downscale the image like a TV would.
But not sure how good Firesticks are at doing that and it’s just taking up limited processing power and ram from the device.
The OP should just stick to watching FHD 1080p channels unless a UHD channel is his only option which I doubt.

Sorry, think there has been some confusion. Obviously on a 1080p TV it's not gonna go well to stream 4k on a streaming device not even rated for 4k.

I ended up buying a firestick 4k max - has fixed the freezing I was seeing.
Now that Firestick has a better cpu and more ram. Also it can display 4k content.
All your 1080p TV will be do now is downscale the 4k content
1080p.

Last edited:
Back