Stream to Zgemma from mobile, just like a chromecast?

gosnis

Hi,

I basically want to use the Zgemma as a Chromecast in this instance.

Does anyone know how to send a stream to a Zgemma, from a mobile, just like you do with a Chromecast?

Hi,

I basically want to use the Zgemma as a Chromecast in this instance.

Does anyone know how to send a stream to a Zgemma, from a mobile, just like you do with a Chromecast?
I use an app called dream player on my android phone don't know about iphone for zgemma but will only work on WiFi unless you create your own server and then know how to use port forwarding on router so you can use mobile data whilst out and about

I use an app called dream player on my android phone don't know about iphone for zgemma but will only work on WiFi unless you create your own server and then know how to use port forwarding on router so you can use mobile data whilst out and about

Hi,
I thought that App worked as a player/receiver?

As an example:
Does the App allow me to send a YouTube video, from the YouTube app on my mobile,
to the ZGemma to play it there?

= Share/Cast it to ZGemma

Hi,
I thought that App worked as a player/receiver?

As an example:
Does the App allow me to send a YouTube video, from the YouTube app on my mobile,
to the ZGemma to play it there?
Don't think so sorry I thought you meant so you could just watch the zgemma channels on your phone

Don't think so sorry I thought you meant so you could just watch the zgemma channels on your phone

This is it.
I want to send video at the Zgemma, just like you would do with a Chromecast, from a mobile device.
Either video on my device, or shares from Apps such as YouTube/Mobdro/Terrarium etcetera.
It's basically a share/link isn't it, of either a file on my phone or off the web.

you could download video to the phone and then install a samba server app on the phone and set it up as a network drive on the zgemma but that probably doesn't work with youtube videos.

you could download video to the phone and then install a samba server app on the phone and set it up as a network drive on the zgemma but that probably doesn't work with youtube videos.

I understand.
I was hoping for something different though.

Like this: I see there's a DLNA media server plugin in the ZGemma download section,
which I haven't fully tested yet, but if it's this one mentioned , it might do everything required.
It appears to do UPNP/DLNA Media Renderer, so you can stream to the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I thought about that after posting so thought I would have a try, the DNLAMediaServer is obviously a server, you would need to use the DNLA browser on the zgemma I would have thought, and then a server app on the mobile device. but is a dlna browser also a renderer?

I understand.
I was hoping for something different though.

Like this: I see there's a DLNA media server plugin in the ZGemma download section,
which I haven't fully tested yet, but if it's this one mentioned here, it might do everything required.
It appears to do UPNP/DLNA Media Renderer, so you can stream to the box.

On second thoughts, It Might be kind of the same thing you mentioned lol
Yes, I thought about that after posting so thought I would have a try, the DNLAMediaServer is obviously a server, you would need to use the DNLA browser on the zgemma I would have thought, and then a server app on the mobile device. but is a dlna browser also a renderer?

Sounds overly complicated lol, I'll have another look tomorrow at it tomorrow.

Please don't link to other forums
How come?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm another brand-newbie at this endeavor.
Similar to another member, I'm trying to view live streams, recorded videos, and set timers, etc on my ZGemma H7S (OpenVix 6.2) from my Android phone. Because of security concerns, I don't want to open many ports on my home router (with a static address). Instead, I'm trying to setup OpenVPN to do that.
I believe I have loaded the config files on the ZGemma box and have OpenVPN running - (Setup/Network/Utilities, OpenVPN - Autostart: Enabled; Current Status: Running)
I loaded "OpenVPN Connect" on my Android phone and I believe I have that running fine too (it indicates "Connected") and the number of bytes in and out are incrementing as I use the phone.
I have the "dream EPG Premium" app on my phone and I used to use it reasonably successfully - streaming live TV and video recordings from my previous STB (Tiviar Alpha - running OPenATV 6.3). But as I mentioned, I don't want to continue to use that app, coz I have to open a bunch of ports on my router.
My question is: What App do I use, or how do I safely "tunnel in to my ZGemma" from my Android phone to view live streams & recorded videos, set timers, etc, etc?

TIA

I'm another brand-newbie at this endeavor.
Similar to another member, I'm trying to view live streams, recorded videos, and set timers, etc on my ZGemma H7S (OpenVix 6.2) from my Android phone. Because of security concerns, I don't want to open many ports on my home router (with a static address). Instead, I'm trying to setup OpenVPN to do that.
I believe I have loaded the config files on the ZGemma box and have OpenVPN running - (Setup/Network/Utilities, OpenVPN - Autostart: Enabled; Current Status: Running)
I loaded "OpenVPN Connect" on my Android phone and I believe I have that running fine too (it indicates "Connected") and the number of bytes in and out are incrementing as I use the phone.
I have the "dream EPG Premium" app on my phone and I used to use it reasonably successfully - streaming live TV and video recordings from my previous STB (Tiviar Alpha - running OPenATV 6.3). But as I mentioned, I don't want to continue to use that app, coz I have to open a bunch of ports on my router.
My question is: What App do I use, or how do I safely "tunnel in to my ZGemma" from my Android phone to view live streams & recorded videos, set timers, etc, etc?

TIA
Get a decent router and put your VPN on that

...................................My question is: What App do I use, or how do I safely "tunnel in to my ZGemma" from my Android phone to view live streams & recorded videos, set timers, etc, etc?

TIA

You probably have two options:-
1. (this would be the way that I would do it personally). Suggest that you look at Tailscale. All you would need is to have one device on your LAN that is a member of your Tailscale network (Tailnet) set to act as a sub-net router. This in turn would permit access to your local LAN over your Tailnet from any location without the need for any port-forwarding of any kind.
2. Setup a direct Wireguard connection between your phone and your Zgemma. Whilst this option sounds the easier/simpler of the two, it is not, and would in all likelihood require an element of port forwarding and exposure of a machine running as root to the public internet which is never a good idea.

Back