Taking the knee??

They'd say they feel strongly about something or other but in reality, 99% of the time it's for publicity.
Like Rashford with his free meals "quest" - he seen a bandwagon and jumped straight on it.

I'd accept that seeing your fellow professionals racially abused by thousands of people whilst going about their work genuinely evokes some pretty strong feelings tbf.

Might be better using some of their wages to pay for an investigation into any abuse and start prosecuting people
Wow! Really. Regardless of how much money they have are they not entitled to do their job without abuse? The same players were subjected to monkey chants and black players booed when they had the ball in qualification. There were also a whole load of people doing Nazi salutes. Why are people so about players taking the knee, you don’t have to watch it if it gets to you.

Attachments

• 66E7F8C7-A334-40D2-895C-8E215E8744AA.jpeg
    66E7F8C7-A334-40D2-895C-8E215E8744AA.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Really. Regardless of how much money they have are they not entitled to do their job without abuse? The same players were subjected to monkey chants and black players booed when they had the ball in qualification. There were also a whole load of people doing Nazi salutes. Why are people so about players taking the knee, you don’t have to watch it if it gets to you.
I agree with you to a point. However, it is not upto players to get involved. The FA should take firm action on these matters after all that is what they are there for.

It is quite simple to deal with any club or international team who is responsible for making racist gestures there fans should be banned from games.

It won't happen because there is to much money involved.

You don't see these problems in other sports e.g. Rugby, Cricket and Boxing to name a few. Football has always had problems with it's so called fans.

I agree with you to a point. However, it is not upto players to get involved. The FA should take firm action on these matters after all that is what they are there for.

It is quite simple to deal with any club or international team who is responsible for making racist gestures there fans should be banned from games.

You don't see these problems in other sports e.g. Rugby, Cricket

Yes agree with the banning of fans but would go even severe and ban the clubs and international teams from competitions for a period of team.

But as you rightly state unlikely to happen as too much money is involved in the game.

Agreed UEFA, Fifa, the FA should do way more but at the end of the day the players can do whatever the hell they like (they’re obviously United in that) and if it offends you either stop being a snowflake or turn it off.

If some were prosecuted others would think twice before posting their nastiness.
I think they should take a 2nd knee to show solidarity with all the ex white male footballers who can’t get a job in punditry

Not sure why people keep saying turn it off, or just don't watch.
The TV viewers at home aren't the ones who are booing.
It's the ground spectators, these people can't turn it off but they can stop going, and when enough of them stop going and grounds are half empty, the club owners will stop employing players who insist on continuing this pointless gesture.
I've never seen a postman or bus driver taking the knee, do these people not have views on racism?

Not sure why people keep saying turn it off, or just don't watch.
The TV viewers at home aren't the ones who are booing.
It's the ground spectators, these people can't turn it off but they can stop going, and when enough of them stop going and grounds are half empty, the club owners will stop employing players who insist on continuing this pointless gesture.
I've never seen a postman or bus driver taking the knee, do these people not have views on racism?
Maybe because I’m not talking to somebody who is booing at the game, just crying about it online, which in my opinion is daft on another level. But you are right, if you don’t like it turn it off, cut up tickets, cancel season tickets, etc. Not that anybody will, they will just cry about it online and boo the players they are going to cheer for in the 90 minutes that follow if they score the sad bunch of .

Maybe because I’m not talking to somebody who is booing at the game, just crying about it online, which in my opinion is daft on another level. But you are right, if you don’t like it turn it off, cut up tickets, cancel season tickets, etc. Not that anybody will, they will just cry about it online and boo the players they are going to cheer for in the 90 minutes that follow if they score the sad bunch of .
Not me mate. Not really a football fan. I will watch the odd game. Rather watch F1,Tennis,Snooker, Boxing or Cricket and the odd Rugby match.

It's the point sport and polotics is not a good mix. Sport is about entertaining the fans.
You’ve decided you don’t like it, they’ve decided they do. It doesn’t really matter, especially to you as you are not a fan. There are far worse things going on in the world that a grown man deciding he wants to take the knee at a bloody sporting event.

you ask the Raheem Sterling, Markus Rashford (multimillionaire, from a council estate) if he thinks he is supporting a Marxist political group by taking the knee. It’s at complete odds with his lifestyle.

I can’t stand the royal family, but I don’t cry about it every time they sing about the monarchy before every international game ffs.

the outrage over this is so silly just leave them to it or turn the channel/season ticket over.

the BLM initials are shown on every sky broadcast and have been pitchside for a lot of the season.

this is not something many fans want.

like it or not the knee was aligned to BLM and the players taking the knee is the perfect time for fans to vent re their views on that awful organisation and its close association with football.

the players are simply going to have to live with that.

the boos have had an effect, this week i've seen more dissenting voices in mainstream media regarding BLM than I have for 12 months. Even mr nice, martin lewis, had to catch himself after he slipped and criticised BLM on the BBC

so the protests are working and the narrative is shifting from the rather silly notion that the boos are driven by racism

The bottom line is if the sports governing body's are not going to act nothing will change.

The players can take the head,toe or what ever body part they want nothing will change. The players would be better off putting pressure on the governing bodies. Instead of annoying fans.

i'm not even sure what they are protesting for, like actual practical solutions or goals.

there is no stated aims other than um, like, ending all racism... in the universe, man.

we live in one of the least racist societies, during the absolute least racist of times and in a country with no racist laws.

sure individuals are still dragging behind, but there is no structural racism in the UK, or certainly no robust evidence of it.

i mean i am sorry that a few boos are getting in the way of footballers solving a problem as old as civilisation, but society somehow has made great leaps in the right direction without the aid of this brave gesture, and i am sure it will continue to long after the silly practice has stopped and been forgotten about.

i'm reminded of this quote:

"Any society racist enough to warrant woke policies is too racist to implement them. And any society woke enough to implement them is not racist enough to warrant them."

we live in one of the least racist societies, during the absolute least racist of times and in a country with no racist laws.

There are actually racist laws but only against white people. I don't say that as some kind of right wing commentator, I've made my views clear on what I think of racism but it is a fact and prevalent to the debate. Supporting your theory that they don't actually know what they're protesting for. They don't know what 'change' they're trying to create.

I would also respectfully disagree with one of your points, we USED to live in the least racist of times but that was before the division caused by BLM. Unfortunately tensions have been stoked and racism is now on the rise. Sadly ironic.

Back