Taking the knee??

DAKTARIN

With the Euros starting and the Recent booing of English players taking the knee before games, i wondered what forum members thoughts on this would be, i think that football does need to tackle all forms of prejudice, racism ,homophobia and sexism, but am not sure that taking the knee has as much impact now as it did when it first started, a lot of the younger players are stll receiving racist messages on twitter and from the stands now fans are allowed back in stadiums, and i think that clubs and social media platforms should be doing more to remove these idiots

Listening to the players talk about it in interviews they still feel very strongly that it's the right thing to do, and that they wish to continue doing it. I think it's good to see that they won't be discouraged by boos.

The only way the racism stops is for all sports starts to boycott social media, I'm pretty sure all the platforms will do something about it once the stars of sports all boycott them, unfortunately racism is always going to continue especially when social media platforms let people join without actually knowing who they are, what I hate is this...... why don't they just boycott the social media?? Do they actually need it in their lives? These are men who are on a hell of alot of money, if it was me I would completely boycott it and all clubs should do the same until social media has done something about it, once you hurt the pockets of all the social giants, something will be done. Some will say, why should they leave social media just because of Select racist scum?? Well I can't see any other way of it stopping until as I said, the pockets of these are affected.

I don't see taking a knee changing anything tbh. Racism has continued and will continue even with them doing this gesture.

Social media is allowing this cancer to pursue and such racist scum bags being able to get away with it without these companies doing anything to stop it. Boycotting these platforms for long periods of time may bring some drastic measures from them but again boycotts for long periods by clubs, players etc can't see happening if I'm being honest.

The racism is disgusting I totally agree, the thing is, sports stars can't moan about it and then post a pic of their steak and chips in dubai in the next breath, unfortunately they will have to leave social media for it to stop its the only way I can see it ever working, hurt the pockets then change will come.

The reason i asked peoples opinion was The chairman of my local club (Gillingham) said he fears the gesture is "irritating" normal, non-racist fans and called for it to be brought to an end.
When fans were in the ground i saw many occasions where fans were racially abusing players or officials,and it seemed the stewards were unwilling to intervene, i have told a few so called fans to shut up in the past,because it is totally unacceptable,taking the knee does not corncern me, but having to try and explain to my 8 year old why people are booing does

the players are concrete that the knee is not a gesture for a political org, but a gesture against racism. and they cannot understand why people would boo that.

the fans are concrete that they are not booing against an anti-racist gesture, but protesting directly against the BLM org.

the knee has become synomous with BLM and TV companies like sku plaster their presenters and coverage with the initials of the organization

the players might wonder why the fans are bringing politics into a stand against racism, the fans who boo would agree that embedding extreme political positions into protests against racism and chastising those that don't fully agree is summat worth protesting against - hence the boos

i have booed the taking of the knee by my local team, and will continue to do so if the silly practice carries on next year.

BLM is a pernicious and dangerous org that should be opposed. the knee has become symbolic with their cause and so players performing that gesture has become a perfect opportunity for people to make their voices heard.

The gesture is toxic and I could list at least 10 reasons why. I cannot understand why players, coaches, sponsors cannot understand why many fans see it as toxic.

Look at what happened at Milwall. Widespread boos at taking the knee. Following game a massive emoji_clap when the team displayed an anti racism banner. So clearly it's not racist! I find it ironic that the people taking the knee are calling boo'ers ignorant and yet they're too ignorant to try to understand why people are booing. No, it's not 'because it's marxist'. That's just what sky news would have you believe.

Without wanting to venture too far towards the dreaded 'B' word. This reeks of brexit. Something people voted for, for a multitude of reasons but they were all just dismissed as racist. What do people do in that instance? Dig their heels in.

The biggest misunderstanding between the two sides is the players saying 'this is why we're doing it so support it'. But what it means to the players and what it means to the fans are two entirely different things.

Why not sure come up with a new gesture or display banners with a clear message? I'm sure 99% of people would be behind that. Then we'd have a united stance on the pitch. Why keep doing something that they know for a fact antagonises and divides people. Furthermore takes the focus away from football.

With the Euros starting and the Recent booing of English players taking the knee before games, i wondered what forum members thoughts on this would be, i think that football does need to tackle all forms of prejudice, racism ,homophobia and sexism, but am not sure that taking the knee has as much impact now as it did when it first started, a lot of the younger players are stll receiving racist messages on twitter and from the stands now fans are allowed back in stadiums, and i think that clubs and social media platforms should be doing more to remove these idiots

The gesture is toxic and I could list at least 10 reasons why. I cannot understand why players, coaches, sponsors cannot understand why many fans see it as toxic.

Look at what happened at Milwall. Widespread boos at taking the knee. Following game a massive emoji_clap when the team displayed an anti racism banner. So clearly it's not racist! I find it ironic that the people taking the knee are calling boo'ers ignorant and yet they're too ignorant to try to understand why people are booing. No, it's not 'because it's marxist'. That's just what sky news would have you believe.

Without wanting to venture too far towards the dreaded 'B' word. This reeks of brexit. Something people voted for, for a multitude of reasons but they were all just dismissed as racist. What do people do in that instance? Dig their heels in.

The biggest misunderstanding between the two sides is the players saying 'this is why we're doing it so support it'. But what it means to the players and what it means to the fans are two entirely different things.

Why not sure come up with a new gesture or display banners with a clear message? I'm sure 99% of people would be behind that. Then we'd have a united stance on the pitch. Why keep doing something that they know for a fact antagonises and divides people. Furthermore takes the focus away from football.
Outstanding post @RapidDevil

I don't care if people are black, white, green, pink or blue if they are OK and respectful to me I'm the same with them.
But taking the knee should have been done for a couple of weeks about 12 months ago when it was relevant and had impact, now it just makes people angry and resentful so has shot itself in the foot.
You will never get rid of racism its human nature unfortunately.

I don't care if people are black, white, green, pink or blue if they are OK and respectful to me I'm the same with them.
But taking the knee should have been done for a couple of weeks about 12 months ago when it was relevant and had impact, now it just makes people angry and resentful so has shot itself in the foot.
You will never get rid of racism its human nature unfortunately.

Yep not just a football thing but a society problem.

I still experience racism from time to time myself locally but I have grown accustomed to that.

I do agree you can't eradicate racism from society let alone sports. It's just sadly fabric of the world we live in.

I don't agree with the Knee! I don't think I'm a racist! The principal is fine but it just conjures visions of Statue defacing and Building name changing! I don't have a problem with the booing because fans are getting fed up with it, I know it is supposed to represent a killing of a black male, but to me all lives matter!

I still experience racism from time to time myself locally but I have grown accustomed to that.

I do agree you can't eradicate racism from society let alone sports. It's just sadly fabric of the world we live in.

It saddens me to hear that. There will always be idiots. This is one of the reasons I'm so against taking the knee. I see it as so counter productive. Things like cancel culture, defacing statues etc have really inflamed racial tensions and are associated with the taking of the knee. Then you get race baiters like Dawn Butler and Diane Abbott talking shit, attempting to use BLM for political gain. This is why they should do away with it and come up with something with a clearer, less ambiguous message.

What has taking the knee actually achieved, really?

Are seeing more or less online racial abuse?
Are we seeing more or less racial tension?
Are we seeing more or less of a culture war?
Are we seeing a more or less of a united country?

Going back to football, every single tournament, although we've been accustomed to massive failure it always even if for a few weeks, brings the country together, completely united in their support of the team and the country. This tournament, we haven't even got solidarity between the players and the fans! Never mind anything else.

Divisive = poison.

Love England.
Love people of all colours and creeds.
Hate virtue signalling.
Hate Racism.
Hate the Knee.

It saddens me to hear that. There will always be idiots. This is one of the reasons I'm so against taking the knee. I see it as so counter productive. Things like cancel culture, defacing statues etc have really inflamed racial tensions and are associated with the taking of the knee. Then you get race baiters like Dawn Butler and Diane Abbott talking shit, attempting to use BLM for political gain. This is why they should do away with it and come up with something with a clearer, less ambiguous message.

What has taking the knee actually achieved, really?

Are seeing more or less online racial abuse?
Are we seeing more or less racial tension?
Are we seeing more or less of a culture war?
Are we seeing a more or less of a united country?

Going back to football, every single tournament, although we've been accustomed to massive failure it always even if for a few weeks, brings the country together, completely united in their support of the team and the country. This tournament, we haven't even got solidarity between the players and the fans! Never mind anything else.

Divisive = poison.

Love England.
Love people of all colours and creeds.
Hate virtue signalling.
Hate Racism.
Hate the Knee.

It does seem the knee has become more of a political message than anything else. Whether BLM has a role in it you could say quite possibly.

The taking of the knee is causing more division and isn't doing anything to really solve the root of the issue.

Now as you say other means are available to stand up against racism and discrimination. Even education can somewhat help with such vile abuse from certain people.

But again to rid racism completely unfortunately is never ever gona happen. You have it existing daily in all parts of life hidden or more out in the open. Racists for most parts aren't gona change their ways and this knee message they are promoting its actually fueling even more vile abuse than actually changing things as they would have thought.

The reason i asked peoples opinion was The chairman of my local club (Gillingham) said he fears the gesture is "irritating" normal, non-racist fans and called for it to be brought to an end.
When fans were in the ground i saw many occasions where fans were racially abusing players or officials,and it seemed the stewards were unwilling to intervene, i have told a few so called fans to shut up in the past,because it is totally unacceptable,taking the knee does not corncern me, but having to try and explain to my 8 year old why people are booing does
Unforutnately the normal football stewards are not allowed to do anything as most are not licensed 'security', stewards are told to report anything to the control room where someone makes a decission to send licensed security in. So saying stewards are unwilling to intervene is unfair.

As for taking the knee, I do think it's a gesture like clapping for the NHS, everyone know why it's being done but it has to come to an end before everyone becomes tired of it.

Football is a sport , it shouldn’t be getting involved with political gestures . Before taking the knee there were minute silences or emoji_clap before nearly every game , the game has gone daft, let’s just get on the pitch and have a game of football. I agree with above , just come off social media , dont give the idiots a platform to abuse you with. I hate the taking of the knee , all lives matter , it makes no sense to me for this to continue . This and VAR are killing the game for me.

Back