The Optical Disc Drive Discussion.

7thsinger

VIP Member
Pretty simple, let's talk everything ODD here.

Currently, i'm using two Samsung burners and one LiteOn to handle all of my burning needs.

So, what's your favorite ODD to use?

Last edited:
I have a Samsung DL dvd/rw and a LiteOn dvd/rom on my desktop. My laptop has its toshiba branded DL dvd/rw (with 7th's help, recognized as a Samsung) and I have an LG Lightscribe DL dvd/rw external drive for it.

Last edited:
I currently have 2 Lite-On iHAS120's and a Plextor PX-800a to handle my reading and burning needs. :)

It does fine, although it is not a true plextor just rebadged, the problem is I can't seem to figure out from what. So it doesn't scan with Nero or PlexTools and there are no firmware updates, I guess its just a freak of nature. But it does read and write very smooth and quiet. I like my liteys, especially with the modified firmware, they just keep getting better.

It does fine, although it is not a true plextor just rebadged, the problem is I can't seem to figure out from what. So it doesn't scan with Nero or PlexTools and there are no firmware updates, I guess its just a freak of nature. But it does read and write very smooth and quiet. I like my liteys, especially with the modified firmware, they just keep getting better.

fergus that Plexy should use the Plex-tools utility. That is it SHOULD. lol. The reason I say this is Plextor "re-badges" have been programmed by them. hmmmmmmm.... Is it a SATA or IDE model??

I have to many to mention or name. NOT all brands and NOT all models but I have around 15-20... I know people with more.. but they test and I just am "touched". ROFL. :)

....gm

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

I just looked up the drive and it seems you have a AD-7170 or AD-7173, both Sony/NEC/Optiarc drives. ;) That may be the reason they don't do the tests. Assuming they don't btw. :grin:

You've been to the Plexy website to "update" your f/w right? I don't think anything will be better than that.. You know how I like to "cross-flash" ODD's but Plexy's and Pioneer's I normally leave alone. DON'T know that much about them that's why. ;)

good luck...

...gm

add: found this and forgot to post it. lol. link to CDF on PX-800a I clicked on the link and read some there as well. Weed thru the B$ and you'll get some good info. ;)

Last edited:
Hey hey GM...we were hoping you'd show up in this thread. We need a guru for the optical drives.

When he gets here lemme know.. ok? ;)

I'll help where I can but remember this is on what I've done and read about NOT always what my experience dictates. I'm sorta out of buying ODD's for now and with as many as I have on the shelve me bride is against purchasing any more. LOL.

Some ODD's that I have or have worked with:

BENQ
LITEON (duh!!!!!)
LG
Sony/NEC/Optiarc (never had the pleasure of owning a "real" NEC)
ASUS
Pioneer
Samsung

Geez.... is that it?? ;) :leaving:

...the GM

That's it GM? Pfffttt.
;)

That's quite a few different drives my friend. I'm banned from buying anymore for the time being. The better half says the ones i have are sufficent.

That's it GM? Pfffttt.
;)

That's quite a few different drives my friend. I'm banned from buying anymore for the time being. The better half says the ones i have are sufficent.

LOL... I know the feeling.. mine didn't have to say anything. ;) She just looked at me and that's all I needed. Mama didn't raise NO fool. :amen:

...gm

im using an external lg GE20 DL with lightscribe, dont know too much bout ODD so dunno if its good but it does what i need it for anyway but any tips (GM) will be appreciated :)
its attached to a crappy dell inspiron 1721, poor system slows way down with encoding :(

im using an external lg GE20 DL with lightscribe, dont know too much bout ODD so dunno if its good but it does what i need it for anyway but any tips (GM) will be appreciated :)
its attached to a crappy dell inspiron 1721, poor system slows way down with encoding :(

I don't know what tips you would like but the LG GE20UL10 is a good drive from what I could find. ;) Here's "review" that is short and sweet. ;)

LG GE20 review

If you're getting Verbie DVD+R DL discs for that amount of money I'd just look at getting a bulk pack and saving money. It's NOT like you won't use them up at some time. I've seen 15, 20, 25, & 50 packs here in the states. Gimme link or two where you buy discs in bulk there in Ireland and I'll find you the best deal. ;) good luck to you. ;)

I don't know what tips you would like but the LG GE20UL10 is a good drive from what I could find. ;) Here's "review" that is short and sweet. ;)

LG GE20 review

If you're getting Verbie DVD+R DL discs for that amount of money I'd just look at getting a bulk pack and saving money. It's NOT like you won't use them up at some time. I've seen 15, 20, 25, & 50 packs here in the states. Gimme link or two where you buy discs in bulk there in Ireland and I'll find you the best deal. ;) good luck to you. ;)

cheers gm, ill look up a few links during the week but ive only got two packs of ten so far from local shop as i was dying to give it a whirl(tis only new outta the box)and as that was all i needed at the time i said to hell with waiting for shipping, will definately shop around online for the next batch, i'd use ebay alot but ill look elswhere also, i believe verbatim have lightscribe discs in dl type so i may aswell use the feature as its available to me

you said a mouth full there. with me haveing a old HP system it dont matter how good of a ODD you put in it,the limits of the system will hold you back not the ODD. plus the ODD isnt really gonna spead any encoding process up much. a 20x drive will be a good fast reader/ripper

anyone here burning blue-ray yet? if so do you have a link to a cheap burner? this is the best i found...

10.jpg

Last edited:
I was just about to mention that one from newegg.

:) man, i wish they would just drop down to around 150$ and i would buy one up, but i still feel that is too much to pay. I have been watching, and they have been going down in price about every 2 months.

Also sign up for their alerts.....I've gotten a few good deals on their early-bird specials...and a couple times they had a code for like $15-20 off with free shipping.

Homesick,

Thanksgiving's Black Friday and Christmas sales !

it's sooo far away though.....

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Also sign up for their alerts.....I've gotten a few good deals on their early-bird specials...and a couple times they had a code for like $15-20 off with free shipping.

good suggestion rtm, thanks

Back