Time to buy a new phone, suggestions

loncell

TK Veteran
So my Samsung M51's dead and because it was an overseas phone (didn't know at the time) its out of warranty as you only get 1 year. Samsung wanted a fortune to repair with a new logic board I've decided not to bother and start looking for a new one and I'm open to suggestions. I've just done an hour and I've whittled it down to about 43 f**kin phones !.

Things I liked about the M51:-

Super AMOLED Plus screen
huge 7000 battery definite big bonus
8gb ram never lagged
earphone socket (a must)
128gb storage + SD card slot

I think I paid at the time £320 Nov 2020 so any phone say up to £350 would be handy. I have looked at the M62 which is at £338 but there's a sh*tload of Androids out there it beggars belief

Oppo are a leading brand in phones nowadays the battery isn’t as big as your old phone.
There’s also the redmi range by xiaomi but depends if want to stick with android or move to iOS.
The huawei p30 range are good phones also the p30 and the p30 pro are still supported by Google upto now.
If you like Samsung the look at the a53 5g phone not all phones will have the headphone jack as most have moved to type c headphones.
Have a look at tech spurt on YouTube he gives reviews on all different brand phones

thanks, I looked at the M62 but again I think its overseas so I'd be stuck in the sh*t again if anything goes wrong. Why Samsung phones especially from India are far better specced than the UK versions beggars belief

I look at the phones then everytime I compare something has to give either way say a smaller battery, less ram, no ear socket (prefer wired) no SD card slot and some get abit to warm for my likings. I'll keep comparing and as for 120hz to 60hz ? ffs with these eyes I see everything Andy Warhol style

I look at the phones then every time you compare sometihng has to give either way say a smaller battery, less ram, no ear socket (prefer wired) no SD card slot and some get abit to warm for my likings. I'll keep comparing
A phone that does have good specs is the oppo find x2 pro it has 12gig ram 512gb of memory and a 42000 battery but roughly £600 to buy I’ve just sold mine lol and gone back to ios

If you are paying that much for a phone surly a contract is a better option and get a free top end phone
Honestly I've had contracts and never again tbh, never again, been thumb bummed on them. I've a simple Voxi sim 30 day job. I normally keep the phone 18 month in v.g. condition (bar last one that died) then flog on buy another. I hate seeing £30+£40 a month coming out the account, its like looking at the car sat on the drive costing an arm and a friggin leg doing ball all.

the less that comes out monthly the better

Those old Nokia phones were bloody classics. Brilliant phones back then and so durable and versatile.
I remember some years back having I think it was a Nokia 6230 had a rubber split case and so called "WATERPROOF" at something like 5metres. So anyway I shows a m8 in the pub who quickly snatches up off the table and dropped it in my ale then rang it, Froth fookin everywere. I looks at him and laughs:- "Ha !!.. its waterproof !!"

I opened up the split case and half a gill of lager p*ssed out

it never worked again

I remember some years back having I think it was a Nokia 6230 had a rubber split case and so called "WATERPROOF" at something like 5metres. So anyway I shows a m8 in the pub who quickly snatches up off the table and dropped it in my ale then rang it, Froth fookin everywere. I looks at him and laughs:- "Ha !!.. its waterproof !!"

I opened up the split case and half a gill of lager p*ssed out

it never worked again
Tbh had both the 3210 and 3310 (have the latter lying about somewhere just need new battery for it) and were fantastic phones.

3310 had for MANY years before the evolution to smart phones. Man forgot how many times I dropped that phone and still worked no issue lol.

Cause they're not free,
If you work it out you can usually buy the phone for less over the period of the contract, that's taking into account a PAYG SIM for the same relative mins/txts/data deal
Totally agree.

Don't get why people go with long expensive contracts thinking they are getting a deal with the high spec phones.

You can easily get high end phones in mint condition for so much less on online market places.

Then get sim only rolling contracts and your sorted.

Totally agree.

Don't get why people go with long expensive contracts thinking they are getting a deal with the high spec phones.

You can easily get high end phones in mint condition for so much less on online market places.

Then get sim only rolling contracts and your sorted.
That's what I do, buy a half decent phone, look after it, flog it. High spec half decent phones are only a couple of hundred quid. The Voxi SIM 30 day job gives you all your social media free and Netflix streaming without eating into your data. £12 a month.

But worse your tied in for 18 month 2 years.

Personally, I prefer to buy a euro spec phone for about 150 euro , and change every couple of years, if it lasts that long, I'm fairly hard on phones due to work.
Why a euro spec,?
Dual SIM,
most UK spec phones have the 2nd SIM slot disabled, unless you go very high end.

Back