Virgin Media Multi Room - Homebrew Solution

jingo_man

If I have a legit VM subscription, are there any options to provide my own Multi Room solution?

As I read it, VM boxes use (i.e. are licensed) Tivo boxes. These are the only Tivo boxes available in the UK, you cannot buy them directly anymore.

Tivo boxes can use an ethernet network to stream to additional devices. This is exactly how the official solution works. However this is an extra £7.50/month plus you have to "buy" or pay for the additional boxes which you do NOT even own, which I think is entirely excessive!

So I was wondering if / how you can roll this yourself? From early research, I cannot buy a Tivo box in the UK. I see some listings on ebay for VM branded boxes (of various models, ages) - whilst not strictly legal, could I buy one and simply turn it on connected to my home network and everything would work? Or would I have to register something with Virgin to enable it?

Do any other boxes work? i.e. I presume the Tivo network streaming capability is more than likely using standardised HTTP(S) streaming protocols. Are there known homebrew solutions that use this?

If I have a legit VM subscription, are there any options to provide my own Multi Room solution? no m8

Virgin multiroom uses separate cables doesn't it?

At least when i used to have TiVo multiroom it wasn't via Ethernet.

Back