VPN on a Zgemma H9S

In the zgemma in network menu
Thankyou.

I've just done this in the Zgemma and it still freezes. Once I connect to the server you can see the data transferred, it gets to about 5mb and then the screen freezes and I'm unable to do anything.

Please any help is appreciated.

@dsayers2014 I think I've got it going? I put the autostart setting to on, I've jsut rebooted and it looks like it is running still?

How can I tell now if I am actually going through my vpn?

Cheers

@dsayers2014 I can see the ip address in the top right hand corner of the open vpn manger screen and I think I'm connected that server but not sure how to check this. Can I check where my normal ip address would of been?

The IP address should change to yours when you turn off vpn.

You can also Google what's my IP address and check if it's different to what is showing on screen

The IP address should change to yours when you turn off vpn.

You can also Google what's my IP address and check if it's different to what is showing on screen
Or you can do speed test before activating your vpn and another speed test after to check if you've got different ips.

@dsayers2014 I'm probably being a bit stupid, but I don't quite understand.

I've got the ip address of my zgemma (the normal ip in the network settings), and the ip in the top right hand corner of the open vpn screen showing me connected to the server and that ip address. What do I check against now?

The vpn is purely only connected to the zgemma and nothing else in my house, the ip of my laptop I'm on now doesn't change as it is not on the vpn.

Last edited:
Also guys how do i turn it on and off for my zgemma? Is that just by pressing the red button in open vpn screen?

I'm a newbie to vpn's and just got this one today.

Also I'll try doing the speedtest thanks dammy.

Thankyou for all of your help as it as got me going and almost there now.

Last edited:
Also guys how do i turn it on and off for my zgemma? Is that just by pressing the red button in open vpn screen?

I'm a newbie to vpn's and just got this one today.

Also I'll try doing the speedtest thanks dammy.

Thankyou for all of your help as it as got me going and almost there now.
Yes. Just press the red button, it will stop the vpn.

@dsayers2014 I'm probably being a bit stupid, but I don't quite understand.

I've got the ip address of my zgemma (the normal ip in the network settings), and the ip in the top right hand corner of the open vpn screen showing me connected to the server and that ip address. What do I check against now?

The vpn is purely only connected to the zgemma and nothing else in my house, the ip of my laptop I'm on now doesn't change as it is not on the vpn.
The IP address in settings is your box IP address. If you Google what's my IP address from a device connected to your network that should give you your house IP address.

This should be different when running VPN on VPN manager and same when VPN is stopped.

Or as in previous replies speed test will show the IP address.

Hi All,

Thanks for all this info is very helpful. I've managed to get the OpenVPN plugin up and running on my ZgemmaH9 using a Nord client. However whenever the VPN client is enabled the IPTV feed dies. Client is definitely active a public IP changes as expected but pings to 8.8.8.8 go from sub 10ms with VPN client off to 4000 to 7000ms when client is active.

Connected my android phone with Flix app to same nord server as the zgemma and IPTV works fine with the VPN client to my provider. Ping latency only goes up to 50ms or so with the vpn active. Same latency with and without VPN to same server on my laptop as the android.

Any ideas on why the zgemma feed dies and the ping latency rockets despite using the same server, dns etc across the different devices VPN clients?

Appreciate any help.

Try different VPN countries. I don't know if it will be better using Nord DNS in VPN manager

Code:
https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/1047409702/What-are-your-DNS-server-addresses.htm

So 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100 I think you can only add one in VPN manager

Thanks for the response dsayers.

I've set 103.86.96.100 and 103.86.99.100 as the primary/secondary DNS in the openVPN plugin. When the VPN client connects it confirms these are the DNS servers in use. Have tried servers in Belguim, France, Holland, UK and Ireland. All seem to hugely increase the ping latency and drop the IPTV feed. When I use the same VPN server the Zgemma is connected to on my laptop or android the ping latency increases by just a few m/s and the android hold the IPTV feed. Appreciate there is a differnce in power but it's only a ping packet and the only difference I can see between the devices.

Not sure where to go from here

Hi all,

Thanks all to everyone who's helped me here, I'm up and running. I've done the speedtest option and can see the ip address there accordingly.

Thankyou @dsayers2014 about the ip address, I understand now and I have done this and it does change, I can see it differs when I have the VPN on.

@alsugemma I'm not sure if your zgemma is still freezing? I had this when I turned the vpn on, check the setting 'Openvpn autostart' in the open vpn manager is set to yes. Mine was set to no, once I changed this it connects no problem and no more freezing etc since doing this.

Hi mate,
I have done all this then I just can't get the servers to load into the box, it's just blank? Any ideas, I have mine working but it's my Dad's H9s, set up exactly the same way as mine except I can't get the different options to load into the box??
Have you set all configs to one folder yes?

Back