WiFi Mesh System Query

We have a DECO P9 triple pack, one links to the router then their are two other ones around the house. Each one has ethernet ports you can hard wire to devices, they are also supposed to link to the main base unit via the powerline aswell as wifi.

I am very happy with them, we don't seem to have dead spots around the house no more, well worth the investment. much better than the wifi extenders we tried to use. I think they have been around for a while, so not sure if there are newer/ better models outs there now. for example, they don't support wifi 6.

TP-Link Deco P9 mesh router review: blanket your whole home in speedy Wi-Fi
yes the advantage of ethernet via the mesh is you are not tied to one power circuit like the homeplugs :smiley:

We have a DECO P9 triple pack, one links to the router then their are two other ones around the house. Each one has ethernet ports you can hard wire to devices, they are also supposed to link to the main base unit via the powerline aswell as wifi.

I am very happy with them, we don't seem to have dead spots around the house no more, well worth the investment. much better than the wifi extenders we tried to use. I think they have been around for a while, so not sure if there are newer/ better models outs there now. for example, they don't support wifi 6.

TP-Link Deco P9 mesh router review: blanket your whole home in speedy Wi-Fi

WiFi 6 mesh are super expensive atm.

This one is one I was looking at and seems a great one as its WiFi and Powerline compatible.

I'm looking at the M5 atm and hope signal and speed wise it does the job all around house I want it to.

VPN I add to individual devices mainly.

Not sure about channelking requirements but for normal use the m4 Decos are great if I was just using firestick or androind tv for iptv no problems at all but I do like the option to have all on my enigma2 boxes save switching devices.

So decos don't work well with your enigma box hence you needed a third party router.

Was looking at third party router but I don't want to mess around having multiples cables from outside to upstairs rooms or back room downstairs.

So good quality mesh system for me is best option for my devices to hopefully give me strong signal and great speeds all around the house which is main requirement for me. Vpn rarely use and only need vpn on few devices personally.

So decos don't work well with your enigma box hence you needed a third party router.

Was looking at third party router but I don't want to mess around having multiples cables from outside to upstairs rooms or back room downstairs.

So good quality mesh system for me is best option for my devices to hopefully give me strong signal and great speeds all around the house which is main requirement for me. Vpn rarely use and only need vpn on few devices personally.
No decos work great on enigma devices I have mines connected via ethernet 5 port hub from the deco device upstairs it is the vpn on my enigma2 device that slows my speed down nothing to do with the decos i normally connect at about 187 Mbit/s on gigablue on VM 200 mb account (remember other devices also in use in house)

but with vpn on 35- 45 some times upto 60 Mbit/s I get 87 on zgemma but that is the annoying thing it only has 10/100 mb ethernet build in unlike the gigablue which has 10/100/1000 i,e, Gigabit ethernet built in thats why i was saying must be down to quad chip on the zgemma.

So without using any cables these mesh systems use both the powerline and wifi when plugged directly in the sockets?
Yes they can use both, I have my 86u plugged into a powerline adapter upstairs, but if I un-plugged it, it would connect to my main router via wifi

I have the DSL AX82u set up as my main router with another RX AX82u as a node on a wired Ethernet back-haul, I suffer no drop outs whats so ever, yes it was expensive but it is the bees knees

I have the DSL AX82u set up as my main router with another RX AX82u as a node on a wired Ethernet back-haul, I suffer no drop outs whats so ever, yes it was expensive but it is the bees knees
Yes Asus Routers IMO are very good routers mate, I was forever having issues with my VM Hub 3, until I switched it into modem mode and let the Asus Routers do all the work, no issues ever since.

As with all of these vague "set up" topics, the most important question is how much you wish to spend - then you build your set up around that.
Baz asked at least once in this thread and it still hasnt been answered - How much are you willing to spend CK?

As with all of these vague "set up" topics, the most important question is how much you wish to spend - then you build your set up around that.
Baz asked at least once in this thread and it still hasnt been answered - How much are you willing to spend CK?

Tbh anywhere between £50-£80

But I'm not looking at shops or online places like amazon I'm trying to get one for cost price and see if a deal can be done off the books so can get it even cheaper.

So really you should have said " my mate stocks - X, Y, AND Z" systems which would be best, no?
Theres no point in people recommending anything if your mate doesn't stock it?
£80 sounds a little low for a system, surely you'll need at least two units, one up and one down stairs?
If your mate imports and supplies these things, surely he should be your go to guy.

Have you gotten a list of what he has that's within your budget?
If so, what has he got?
If not, wait until he gives you a list, then post and people can give you informed opinions.

If hes an importer, there is no way he needs to wait until black Friday to give you a deal, his cost price is his cost price, regardless of this week or next!

So really you should have said " my mate stocks - X, Y, AND Z" systems which would be best, no?
Theres no point in people recommending anything if your mate doesn't stock it?
£80 sounds a little low for a system, surely you'll need at least two units, one up and one down stairs?
If your mate imports and supplies these things, surely he should be your go to guy.

Have you gotten a list of what he has that's within your budget?
If so, what has he got?
If not, wait until he gives you a list, then post and people can give you informed opinions.

If hes an importer, there is no way he needs to wait until black Friday to give you a deal, his cost price is his cost price, regardless of this week or next!

Company that he is part of does importing and exporting but its not easy sorting prices for me on things.

Gotten alot of things from him over the years but pricing hasn't been "legit" so to speak.

Paid him silly low prices for many things that's because of him doing something on his end which doesn't show in the books..

In regards to the mesh he can get stock of any of the models for example that are on amazon for example but he doesn't carry everything.

Yes as I said he is the guy I use if I ever need anything just check what I need and prices on different retailers and then see if he has it or can get it.

I know he is busy especially this week so don't want to pressurebor bug him too much but he has said he will sort me lower price for the model I have mentioned than the price on amazon. Let's see. He hasn't let me down in all these years and hope it doesn't start now lol.

Nah he doesn't do anything that dodgy.

Just does something with pricing. His choice as he does same for his family and few other mates.
well you can forget going the Asus route even one new router over your budget without having to buy second Asus one to get AliMesh.
I maybe wrong but do not remember or may not have noticed what speed your isp package is that may also determine what type of mesh devices you need.

But as I did say the deco m4 does me fine on 200mb connection with VM and only £69.99 fro twin pack from argos but there are also other offers online.

well you can forget going the Asus route even one new router over your budget without having to buy second Asus one to get AliMesh.
I maybe wrong but do not remember or may not have noticed what speed your isp package is that may also determine what type of mesh devices you need.

But as I did say the deco m4 does me fine on 200mb connection with VM and only £69.99 fro twin pack from argos but there are also other offers online.

No idea about alimesh or what it is. I don't see point of third party routers be it one let alone two. Those who have it and that setup fair enough.

I think mesh would be fine for me as I haven't got patience to go complicated route with multiple routers and cables coming from outside.

I get people want best possible connection but I ain't really bothered about perfection as long as can get strong connection and speeds across the house I will be happy.

Worst comes to worst if he can't do the mesh system I want or other models will just settle with the VM pods which seem to be good overall.

No idea about alimesh or what it is. I don't see point of third party routers be it one let alone two. Those who have it and that setup fair enough.

I think mesh would be fine for me as I haven't got patience to go complicated route with multiple routers and cables coming from outside.

I get people want best possible connection but I ain't really bothered about perfection as long as can get strong connection and speeds across the house I will be happy.

Worst comes to worst if he can't do the mesh system I want or other models will just settle with the VM pods which seem to be good overall.
Was not sure about vm pods was just reading up on them I was going to buy VM homeplugs type wifi extenders at one point ,nearly bidded £50 for them (missed the final bid because someone mentioned deco m4 ) but from what I have read it will cost you an extra £5 a month for the pods but it does not say how many units , so your choice mate at the end of the day members can only advise with their experiences :smiley:

Was not sure about vm pods was just reading up on them I was going to buy VM homeplugs type wifi extenders at one point ,nearly bidded £50 for them (missed the final bid because someone mentioned deco m4 ) but from what I have read it will cost you an extra £5 a month for the pods but it does not say how many units , so your choice mate at the end of the day members can only advise with their experiences :smiley:
Get that mate and not meaning to put yours or others experiences down.

Just trying to explain what is less hassle and ease of use to someone like me.

Your right about the pods being £5 a Month. But if your a volt customers or on their highest package possible then pods are free and believe you can have up to 3 pods off them for free which is good but only 1 pod at a time from reading.

Back