WiFi Mesh System Query

channelking

Been looking at WiFi mesh system for a long time now and getting some money saved for one due to the dreadful VM hub and WiFi signal/coverage it gives. Even breifly looked at top end third party routers but too expensive for me and alot of features like having vpn on router won't bother with so mesh system is best option for me especially concerning WiFi.

Have looked at some of the best including Orbi being up there but again these are super expensive not affordable for me.

So few questions for those who have mesh system right now.

Which is the best or more accurate great WiFi mesh system that isn't overly expensive that gives all round great signal coverage around the whole house and not giving drop outs or dead spots but also getting close to full speeds anywhere in the house?

I also keep seeing some mentioning the best ones should have tri band and wired or wireless backhaul. But in basics terms what does this mean and is this needed?

Ones which have 1 or 2 ethernet ports in the mesh systems can these be used as a wired connection in devices or is it not as simple as that?

Ones like TP Link M5 and P9 seem really popular but reviews arent great on them which was surprising to me.

Any advice on these queries would be very much appreciated. I'm relying on my mate to sort me whatever model it is for a special price during black friday week I'm hoping anyway.

Any one able to advise please as want to try to get something sorted before black Friday.

Thanks

I use the TP link deco 5.

Been fantastic, it's a 3 hub system, got me consistent speeds through the house and was easy to set up

Ye but old that one I believe but reading reviews seems. Pretty good.

There are too many models and too confusing to know which is right one and quality one.
They are old bud but I don’t have issues with them just plug into existing router and job done no more WiFi drop outs

Is deco 5 the m5?

Would the router have to be put in modem mode?
i'm with sky and you cannot put their routers into modem mode.

the compromise there is you have to plug one of the M5 hubs into the router and turn off the wifi [it was a while back when i set it up, sorry]

but if you can put your router into modem mode i think it's best.

i get the same speed in all rooms [60+] as i do in the room where the router is. before installing, in the bedrooms it was half that.

I use ASUSWRT software on my Asus Routers, my setup is as follows:
ISP - VM
VM hub placed into modem mode
Asus AC RT 88U connected to the VM router via ethernet, this does all of the work
Asus AC RT 86U hard wired and connected via MESH, this just helps the 88U and seemlessly keeps everything connected throughout the house

I'm kinda avoiding reviews now lol

Do you get strong signal and speeds in the garden and garage?

Do you have router in modem off or just WiFi off?
I'm on VM business broadband with a Hitron router. It went into modem mode before the engineer got out of our street!
Yes I get a good signal and speeds everywhere on wifi but each deco is hardwired to the router. Not sure how good it is with them connecting wirelessly to each other.

i'm with sky and you cannot put their routers into modem mode.

the compromise there is you have to plug one of the M5 hubs into the router and turn off the wifi [it was a while back when i set it up, sorry]

but if you can put your router into modem mode i think it's best.

i get the same speed in all rooms [60+] as i do in the room where the router is. before installing, in the bedrooms it was half that.

So wifi off on main router with mesh as main wifi device is not as effective as having in modem mode?

So wifi off on main router with mesh as main wifi device is not as effective as having in modem mode?
Every mesh system is different to each other.
We all have different isp so your gunna get different views and opinions.
my advice would be and I don’t mean this in any bad way bud is just buy a set even if just 2 set them up and see if not suitable 99% of retailers offer a return so your not going to loose out imo

I use ASUSWRT software on my Asus Routers, my setup is as follows:
ISP - VM
VM hub placed into modem mode
Asus AC RT 88U connected to the VM router via ethernet, this does all of the work
Asus AC RT 86U hard wired and connected via MESH, this just helps the 88U and seemlessly keeps everything connected throughout the house

Was looking at third party routers but other than top ones being too much isn't really for me.

As from looking deep into this think mesh systems will do what I want should and hopefully do a great job.

Every mesh system is different to each other.
We all have different isp so your gunna get different views and opinions.
my advice would be and I don’t mean this in any bad way bud is just buy a set even if just 2 set them up and see if not suitable 99% of retailers offer a return so your not going to loose out imo

Get your point mate.

Makes sense some work in modem mode while others work with main router wifi off.

I was just hoping to get one which overall will perform great with coverage and speed all around the house and be good in garage and garden.

Will look at the M4, M5 and P9 ones which seem the more popular ones.

@channelking
Have you anyway of getting a cat5e cable upstairs/to your blind spot,?
I have an old TT router set up as an access point I could stick in the post to you, but it needs hardwired to original router/modem
Don't have spare cable mate and tbh we had house done nearly 12 years ago and still all is in prestine condition so can't lift carpets to take cable upstairs.

So thought mesh systems are best possible option with how highly people talk about them and have no issues really since getting them.

Do appreciate the kind offer mate. Thanks anyway.

For a good set even with black Friday you are looking at a good few quid. Depending where the weak spot is on your WiFi a solution could be a Netgear nighthawk mesh WiFi extender. About £70 on fleebay.

For a good set even with black Friday you are looking at a good few quid. Depending where the weak spot is on your WiFi a solution could be a Netgear nighthawk mesh WiFi extender. About £70 on fleebay.

Not just dead spot get weak signal and poor speeds back room and most of upstairs with the shiite VM hub 3

Back