Amazon Firestick new OS Vega no more sideloading apps IPTV

There will be a way to sideload apps, it may not be as easy as previous with downloader but there will be a way.
If you look at apple, they are now forced to allow sideloading of apps after a recent court case. So the same law would apply for amazon too

The simple solution is if it happens and there is no workaround, just buy a different brand of device.
Buy for now they work as they should and probably someone will find a solution eventually.

The simple solution is if it happens and there is no workaround, just buy a different brand of device.
Buy for now they work as they should and probably someone will find a solution eventually.
Turn off all updates and privacy settings they should be fine as long as apps are installed.

Turn off all updates and privacy settings they should be fine as long as apps are installed.
I don’t use them but I have read that the only way to block OS updates is to install a DNS Server application on your LAN that would block the Amazon update websites on your home network.
By the way looks it’s a bit of a ball ache to do.

Last edited:
Yeah, If it’s true then it will be like the Roku devices all over again, the general user won’t have the
ability to block the update or install a third party app to do so before it’s too late. If it happens users will be annoyed but will end up buying a different device anyways. Amazon will just be losing out on a shit ton of money.

If someone figures out how to gain root access, it will never been a simple as it is now to do, so the there will just be another preferred device the users will turn too.

Always a cat and mouse game.

@jigger121 the Apple sideloading stuff only applies to the EU, so the UK devices can’t benefit, so if Amazon need to comply everyone will start buying their sticks from somewhere in the EU 😆

Yes perhaps everyone is panicking with reguards to older firetv devices , but we will never know sometimes some may need to reset firestick and they may just do firmware update. So moshi i did go for the dcolor not the gigablue and so far quite happy with it but twice it has rebooted when I was trying to fast forward in smart tube I may go back to smart tube beta.

Could also be I did use firestick power adapter at first to try out then bought cheap ebay power adapter to free up firestick one will see how thing progress but at least no need to side load any apps at the moment most are available on playstore (if you have a google account) :)) and just noticed another email offer from AliExpress from 19/03 even though I have bought one :))

And I do have real android tv google but I thinking probably better on the dcolor perhaps more memmory.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
I don't think you can stop the OS automatically updating. You used to be able to stop it via 3rd party apps or via your router but they are making it harder to do.
Yes you can disable updates on firestick but I do think if amazon really wants to they could override that and possibly push new os any apps not from amazon disabled and ones from amazon will just be updated to new os . But we will just need to wait and see.

Yeah, If it’s true then it will be like the Roku devices all over again, the general user won’t have the
ability to block the update or install a third party app to do so before it’s too late. If it happens users will be annoyed but will end up buying a different device anyways. Amazon will just be losing out on a shit ton of money.

If someone figures out how to gain root access, it will never been a simple as it is now to do, so the there will just be another preferred device the users will turn too.

Always a cat and mouse game.

@jigger121 the Apple sideloading stuff only applies to the EU, so the UK devices can’t benefit, so if Amazon need to comply everyone will start buying their sticks from somewhere in the EU 😆
I do think on xda a while back there were discussions on firestick root access

Yes you can disable updates on firestick but I do think if amazon really wants to they could override that and possibly push new os any apps not from amazon disabled and ones from amazon will just be updated to new os . But we will just need to wait and see.
I know you used to be able to stop OS updates but I thought that was stoped last year with an OS update. What solution do you use and what OS version are you on?

I have a feeling that this is only going to apply to new devices (with the different OS) -
Older devices will be unaffected as the current OS cannot be changed........ (I'm Not and Expert !!!)

==== the following was poste by @linesman66 last month =====

"...Plans to roll out the new software may come as early as next year starting with the release of a new Fire TV device. We don’t expect current Fire TV models to receive this OS update plus they should still support their current lineup with updates for years to come.

Vega is based on Linux OS and uses a “more web-forward application model” with a focus on the React Native software framework.

The biggest thing to note here is that in all likelihood, the Vega OS will eliminate the ability to sideload apps on Firestick & Fire TV devices.

This would make it a “closed-source” system similar to that of Roku and Apple TV devices which do not have any 3rd party app capabilities.

Fire OS has been very accommodating for app developers in allowing them to run Android Apps that work on phones, tablets, and more.

The integration of Vega to replace Fire OS would also occur on Fire HD Tablets which means these devices would also no longer have access to Android Apps...."

Last edited:
I have a feeling that this is only going to apply to new devices (with the different OS) -
Older devices will be unaffected as the current OS cannot be changed........ (I'm Not and Expert !!!)

==== the following was poste by @linesman66 last month =====

"...Plans to roll out the new software may come as early as next year starting with the release of a new Fire TV device. We don’t expect current Fire TV models to receive this OS update plus they should still support their current lineup with updates for years to come.

Vega is based on Linux OS and uses a “more web-forward application model” with a focus on the React Native software framework.

The biggest thing to note here is that in all likelihood, the Vega OS will eliminate the ability to sideload apps on Firestick & Fire TV devices.

This would make it a “closed-source” system similar to that of Roku and Apple TV devices which do not have any 3rd party app capabilities.

Fire OS has been very accommodating for app developers in allowing them to run Android Apps that work on phones, tablets, and more.

The integration of Vega to replace Fire OS would also occur on Fire HD Tablets which means these devices would also no longer have access to Android Apps...."
that would certainly be a better outcome all round, there is also chromecast as an alternative option, if all this comes about.

I think the latest is fire os 8.
Looks like you have the block in place that stopped future updates. Which I don’t think could be used after a certain fire os.
well update os option is still availabe in settings but reading elsewere that seems to be last update available for my firestick 4k model perhaps someone else can answere if they have 4k firestick. Aint used the device in months only changed hdmi port to firestick to answer your question :laughing: and powered off firestick after that :ROFLMAO:

well update os option is still availabe in settings but reading elsewere that seems to be last update available for my firestick 4k model perhaps someone else can answere if they have 4k firestick. Aint used the device in months only changed hdmi port to firestick to answer your question :laughing: and powered off firestick after that :ROFLMAO:
That’s all I can see when I search for latest fire os is that states os 8.
I think as soon as they connect to the internet they try to update.
So you never installed any app or made any mods to block future updates?

Last edited:
Back