new a850 glitching on sd and hd channels

hi, got a new 850 this week with the attenutor fix already applied.

however, i've noticed the following:

- standard definition channels glitch periodically, square blocky pattern effect
- hd channels glitch less frequently than the sd channels but producing a weird pattern affect which i thought was fixed by the psu mod?

firmware is up to date.

i had an a780 before and had no problems with glitching apart from the odd occasion here and there.

any ideas what may be causing this?

tried in a diff room through a diff connection and bbc1 and itv still glitch.

does anyone know where to get the original factory firmware so that i can test to see if its a firmware issue?

Hi Greyphoenix

I have a modded a850 and most of my SD channels are fine. I have a fair bit of glitching on quite a few (but not all) HD channels making those affected unwatchable, others are perfect. I also have periods when the scrambled channel message appears for the problem channels so I'm not sure if this is signal (too much noise even for the modded box) or server related.

If the glitching on your box isn't as bad when connecting via a different room then your problem must be signal related, at least in part. That could be caused by numerous things as you no doubt know having owned the a780.

With regards to the factory firmware it will only get you fta via an aerial so its pretty much useless for testing purposes. It's probably available somewhere though.

At a guess id say the modded box is still having problems with noisy channels and the HD ones are the most susceptible, or the server is having problems with some hd transponders.

Who knows!

Thanks Wellinever.

There goes testing the factory firmware test....

For me the sd channels are worse. I have similar behaviour to you with my hd channels where some glitch and some dont.

Agree that the issue seems signal related.

Going to check tonight to see if its still the same otherwise i'm tempted to send the a850 back...

No problem.

There are so many variables with these boxes it really is difficult troubleshooting problems.

It seems to change all the time though, sometimes for the worse but occasionally for the better so you might want to hang off for a few weeks.

If you do return the box you will need the factory firmware re-installed or you may have problems with warranty, unless the box came with the latest firmware on it already that is.

Good luck.

how are you getting the net id to scan on,people need to tell us what way everything is set up cables lan etc,provider correct?

i found a full list of net ids and double checked, so i have the right one. regardless, i tried manc1, manc2 and manc3 all with the same symptoms as described above, some slightly better than others but all glitched on the fta channels.

setup is:
hdmi from tv to box
lan cable from VM hub to box
coaxial cable from wall hub splitted to box, other coaxial to VM hub

provider is ex c/w

its the same setup i had with my a780 except obviously i was using a scart instead of hdmi

i've tried using 2 diff hdmi cables but gave the same result.

what net id have you got off your vm box?fta dont glitch as its not through your lan cables,sounds as if coaxial feed issue,any boosters or attenuators fitted.need to get more info as i think someone else was manc area.

manc 1 is yours,is it possible to recheck by hooking up to main feed and check the fta only and view to see if it is a bad splitter or bad connections.

no joy :(

hooked up to main feed and fta channels still glitch.
tried factory reset/delete channels and a fresh scan from main feed, still same result.
tried a different coaxial cable still glitches!

hooked my a780 back up - no glitching!

gonna try at my mates house tomorrow, but ive not got high hopes!

Dont give up just yet greyphoenix..!! There are quite a few folks now that have these boxes and after some teething probs and a little mod they seem to be running alot better..your att mod might not be "quite right" as when you plug in 780 the FTA dont glitch so it can only be a fault with your box..! Ted

wondering about that myself. maybe a silly question are you on a basic sub or just bb,trying to understand if its just bb with a possible lower signal or on both?

Last edited:
Well as his 780 works ok it cant be bb fault...FTA and premium channels work so signal must be ok as well... as i am sure there are some 850's out there that dont even have basic subs but box still works....(mine has for last x amount of years) so its still pointing towards a box fault bro as thats the only thing thats changed from his previous set up.

---------- Post Merged at 12:49 PM ----------

just read yours after i sent mine..! but if a fellow 850 bro or gal is out there and has just bb only can they let us know if their box is ok. sweet..

Tried at my mates house but the hdmi on his tv was not bringing up any signal. As I had limited time, tried on another tv in his house, just hdmi from box to tv (no coaxial) to see if i could get to the menu but again was getting no signal. Both Samsung TVs abt 3 yrs old so had to leave it there. So not been able to test from another location.

came back home, tried connecting it up and i get my original issue of glitching. having googled it now, it seems some older samsung tvs are problematic with hdmi cables.

Anyhow, I have tried from a different point in my house already and get the original glitching issue - i'm afraid this box is knackered or the psu mod has not been done.

Does anyone know where i can get the factory firmware so i can send back?

Back