phoenix hd a850 setup.

No not got the superhub.
Got HD in every room via a Proline 8way HDMI over Cat5e distributer.

Any HDMI source in > Cat5e > HD on any/Multiple (up to 8) TV's. Remote IR control via a Global TVlink plus/'magic eyes' (I hate that name)!!!!

Any thoughts why A850 won't work straight into modem?? that does not compute with me, is it almost an attenuation issue?? ie signal too strong or am I being a d1ck ed!!!!!!!

I have had issues with my a850 since I got it, a cable booster seemed to help but box has gone back to the way it was last week, hd channels are unwatchable & all MTV music channels are all pixelating, don't know where to go with this box, I have tried absolutely everything, to me personally it seems to be that some channels are picked up perfectly when you scan the box and others are not quite tuned in, I remember years ago with an old eurovox that you could tweak the frequency up or down slightly and that would cure the problem of channels that were pixelating, here's hoping that a fix comes out for this box soon, please no more comments about cables, routers ect as I've had the box since last August and its turned out to be the most expensive waste of a cable box I've ever bought.

remember old pre n3 boxes only had 1 cable,it will never be the same as it was,maybe the new board that barry has mentioned will fix the problem.
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

jake i take it you have a splitter before your modem??

remember old pre n3 boxes only had 1 cable,it will never be the same as it was,maybe the new board that barry has mentioned will fix the problem.
.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

jake i take it you have a splitter before your modem??

Yep cable in > splitter, > one to VM Vbox, the other to modem

I only want the box to be at least as good as the a780 cactikid, I know that these type of boxes will never be as good as the pre n3 boxes but the box should perform better than it is doing for the price i paid, it's like paying extra for a hd box with hd channels that are unwatchable, nobody minds the odd blip or scrambled channel occasionally but this has gone beyond a joke and I don't or cannot think of anything else to try with this box.

oops yes you are right sorry. (Marcus I sympathise mate, I'm in the same boat, did it EVER work properly)?

Cable in > f type splitter > one to VM Vbox, other via longer low loss sat coaxe to ftype splitter, > one to modem, one to A850.
But initially as described Fri evening it was cable in > splitter > one to A850, other to modem. ie I disconnected the vbox.

What I would really like to know and would appreciate feedback from you other guys reading this is: is there anyone out there who's A850 WORKS?????

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast (for me especially) - which is, I only turn to forums when I have a problem. i am not hearing from people who have an A850 that works fine??
As I said earlier, Marcus has it EVER been OK, is it the box itself (barryboom says it is)

The next question (bearing in mind I am on an A850 thread) Is IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE BOX WHICH IS BETTER??????????????????

---------- Post Merged at 05:19 PM ----------

cact ikid, do you have an A850? if so does it do the job for you?

Tempted to take it to a mates to find out if it works elsewhere.

Is it my set up?
Is it the A850's in general?
Is it only my A850?

I think I need a pub again!!!!

Last edited:
Cactikid - THINKING ABOUT YOUR QUESTIONS:

I have tried two locations for the A850.
First - guaranteed good cable/maybe not so good lan.
Second - guaranteed good lan/maybe not so good cable.

i now need to find a solution to try the best of both worlds!!!

we dont have working cable boxes over here which is a let down, i also want a result for you to get a better service.one of the reasons i said earlier even before you got your box working was a bad lag on your internet while posting.
out of interest can you put the kv after you factory reset in before the splitter and try scanning a different provider and as you say you have a vm box to get the right net id off [ i presume you have done that and not guessed ]
wonder if some of your lan cables are iffy,no other things on internet drawing bandwidth like torrents downloading.

Before I try that rescan etc, I want to source a Cat6 lan cable then I can narrow things down. No - no torrents running, I have cctv which I can access remotely sat on there, a four room sonos system, god knows what else at any one time with the wife and kids!!!

I will order a decent lan cable and shut everything else down before I try that rescan ...watch this space!

the coaxial cable before splitter is only where the box is scanned from . the lan cable at this point will be disabled because of no connection,i would also think of running a speed test just to see if any issues happen with everything connected and disconnected.its a case of eliminating things.

the coaxial cable before splitter is only where the box is scanned from . the lan cable at this point will be disabled because of no connection,i would also think of running a speed test just to see if any issues happen with everything connected and disconnected.its a case of eliminating things.

19777 kbps download speed and upload 1049. That was with one laptop on + the cctv, two mobiles and an ipad, A850 and v box on?
When you say before the splitter do you mean Cable in > vm splitter (THIS ONE) > one to tv one to modem?? ie do you want me to try cable in > straight to A850???

Cheers

yes to scan only just remove first splitter and scan from that,reading barrys post earlier sounds very good.

Sorry cactikid, barrys post????? about the board in the A850?

this hopefully will only happen tomorrow evening now, but can you confirm what you would like me to try next:

cable in > A850... do a cable scan on another provider (any one in particular) yes I do know my network ID from the Vbox.
Once scanned I need to reconnected the lan? (still not got a cat6 one) could try in the two locations I have.

Well well, did an internet update last night and everything went even worse ...now this evening there is a marked improvement in some channels, so much to say from the little I have seen they might even be watchable. Sky Action HD seems to be one of the bad ones but switching to SD is then watchable!!!!! Discovery HD is alot better, no History though only History +1

Last edited:
yes main cable into 850 for scanning,if you scan wrong provider you get no channels or net ids so you scan on another provider having done a factory reset first 0000 to delete,when you get a list of channels and chosen your net id when finished exit out and reconnect splitters.
is it not a cat 5 lan cable you use to connect to your router and not a cat6 [unsure about that ]
i thought cat 6 was used for distribution around house like a big hdmi cable but cheaper.

hi folks just new here
i would agree in the past the phoenix a850 hasnt been as reliable as the kv 780
im not sure if a lot of people are aware of a recent modification on the phoenix a850.
after doing this mod on a number of boxes a few days ago i can confirm so far it has made a major difference and an attenuator is no longer needed and it seems to have really improved the tuner.
im sure this will be confirmed and spoke about in the near future..its not for me to say what or how this mod is done but i would expect that as from the near future any new phoenix boxes bought will have the mod already done.
i no its early doors yet and maybe wait till other members confirm this but it does seem to be a massive improvement for the phoenix hd box
and i am not connected or involved in the people who run the kv / phoenix boxes

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 PM ----------

barryboom
sorry
just read your post and you are 100% correct..
i would not advise non qualified people to carry this out but will confirm what barry boom wrote is correct

so as you have that box you are very happy now with the outcome and enjoyment of that box and would recomend it now?

i dont own that box myself no
i have one running on test yes and more then well aware of the issues in the past.
and i will say the use of boosters and attenuators will not be needed as much after the modification is done and im sure any new ones will have the fix already done.
what i will say is it looks like the phoenix just got a whole lot better.
because the fix is hardware and not software it could be dangerous for your average non qualified person to do it.
im an electronics engineer and the change does effect how the tuner reacts.
i would check the forums over the next few days before posting for other people to confirm this

sorry cactikid.
didnt mean dont post i ment posting the fix 100% works as its always best to let a few people confirm it especially as i have only made 2 posts on the site before just wanted to confirm what barry boom said was correct

Back