phoenix hd a850 setup.

I've done the upgrade to 1.06 via USB, set the VM superhub to modem mode and connected the A850 to it directly with a RJ45 cable. The internet upgrade then worked and I'm on 2.04 now. Selecting NTL for a scan seemed to freeze on 2/8 but manual scan worked, looking good so far. Thanks for the help!

excellent news maybe the ntl is not yours ,it could be c&w or telewest,if you got your ned id good,keep us posted on the goings on now as it may help others,i hope you now enjoy it.(y)

Hello all, I posted the A850 to borofc Monday lunchtime and got my box back today am!!!
I am not going to give a public knee jerk reaction to this mod but all I can say it has made a difference to some channels good and not so good.
All in all at the moment and until I have played more I will pass judgement on the mod but will give positive feedback on the service borofc provided.

On point to note, my box is still freezing on the internet update menu, is there an up to date firmware out there which I can install via USB??? (cactikid)?

Thanks again all (and to borofc)

no there is no manual latest update posted anywhere,can i suggest to bring it elsewhere to update as all you need is box,remote,tv and a lan cable hok it up and do internet upgrade,when box reboots unplug it and do a factory reset/rescan from main feed.and did you check for outside issues with vm today?

Hello all, I posted the A850 to borofc Monday lunchtime and got my box back today am!!!
I am not going to give a public knee jerk reaction to this mod but all I can say it has made a difference to some channels good and not so good.
All in all at the moment and until I have played more I will pass judgement on the mod but will give positive feedback on the service borofc provided.

On point to note, my box is still freezing on the internet update menu, is there an up to date firmware out there which I can install via USB??? (cactikid)?

Thanks again all (and to borofc)
Hi jake, would you say the mod is worth it or not, do the hd channels run any better.

Sorry for the delay!!! cactikid I will try what you suggested, do you remember late on a friday night not being able to internet update???, thought I found the answer doing a right arrow click on the remote but that just now takes me to the next menu, pressing OK freezes the box (still) but will try a mates (if I still have any) :-) ... Marcus, difficult question to answer, the mod seems to have had a pos/neg effect!! My real benchmark was sky action HD, it was totally unwatcheable. Now I can watch it. BUT I now get 'channel scrambled' on x - number of channels which was not a problem before. I am in ITV region and cannot get any HD or plus one hour channels now, all HD movie channels work, eurosport/sky one/(HD), sky sports one HD dont + others.

My priority is not sports channels (no I'm not gay), it is HD, so the mod has been a positive from my point of view (films ect) but albeit at a cost, If there is anyone with OCD out there then think twice, its swings and roundabouts! I wanted this box to replace sky to save subs each month, but it is very much ad-hoc as to what channels we can now access.

Technology!!! (especially trying to get it for free)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Nice feedback, I would like some specifics on the ones showing as scrambled if possible this will allow everyone to check if these are down in general by possibly checking on an unmodded box as channels in general appear to be on and off whether modded or not modded and can't quite figure how the nature of the modification would cause a scramble channel to appear.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

just to add you have no attenuator or booster fitted now after the mod was done,if you factory reset the box first then powered off at the rear and rebooted network and then tried an internet upgrade i wonder if it has any bearing on it now would it work.i think last night other owners of 850 and not modded yet said other channels not working.
was a factory reset/rescan done when you got the box back and did they give instructions of what to do.?

Sorry for the delay!!! cactikid I will try what you suggested, do you remember late on a friday night not being able to internet update???, thought I found the answer doing a right arrow click on the remote but that just now takes me to the next menu, pressing OK freezes the box (still) but will try a mates (if I still have any) :-) ... Marcus, difficult question to answer, the mod seems to have had a pos/neg effect!! My real benchmark was sky action HD, it was totally unwatcheable. Now I can watch it. BUT I now get 'channel scrambled' on x - number of channels which was not a problem before. I am in ITV region and cannot get any HD or plus one hour channels now, all HD movie channels work, eurosport/sky one/(HD), sky sports one HD dont + others.

My priority is not sports channels (no I'm not gay), it is HD, so the mod has been a positive from my point of view (films ect) but albeit at a cost, If there is anyone with OCD out there then think twice, its swings and roundabouts! I wanted this box to replace sky to save subs each month, but it is very much ad-hoc as to what channels we can now access.

Technology!!! (especially trying to get it for free)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

jake the problems you have described and the channels you are missing are the same on my unmodded box so I think it is unrelated to the mod. It could be related to the software though.

I think there is tinkering going on by either vermin or kv as on fri night boxnation and sky sports 1 hd were on and off all night.

kinda backs up what i was assuming the modification is not going to cause channels to go off only really going to improve the ones that where breaking up before IE SS4. i would guess more to do with KV guys and them messing about on the server trying to "optomise" output such a good Buzz word :fartlight::fartlight::smoke rings:

I found that some days that i turned the box on some channels might not be working, for example sd movie and sports working fine, all hd movies off, sly sports hd off. If i were to turn box off at the back and unplug modem and router, leave it for a minute and turn modem and router back on, then turn on box the hd channels would come back, very strange, people who have certain channels missing should try this because sometimes the channels that are not working will come on.

Hi again, just to make things even more complicated I managed to take the box to a friends (who is on a superhub) did an internet update which cactikid advised, DID NOT FREEZE the box but just said the software was up to date.
#
In my menu I see:

Hardware: HV1.0.00.00
Software: SV1.02.04
Software Date: June 4 2013
Boot V: H3.55x

not that this means owt to me.

Marcus I have tried the turn off (all) thing but still the same.

I think base line is, the 850 is a wayward thing, if you just want all the channels go for a SD version of the KV, if you want HD consistently then pay your subs :-(
Again I will keep on reading and trying, if I get anywhere near I will share, but I am still depending on the experts on here!!!

Barry, I will go through a full list of ons and offs when I get chance and post them, what I need to understand is like I said above, I expect to get all channels available but I am fast realising this will prob never be the case.

Last edited:
wayhay lol,you are on the current update latest firmware ** 1.02.04 june 4 2013.,ok half way there,attenuator removed and boosters removed,now we start from beginning factory reset 0000 to delete and rescan from main feed,try c&w/t.w and ntl and see what pulls in channels and give you your net id,for testing purpose and feedback needed.

scanning on wrong provider or net id may reduce your channel listing

Last edited:
Hi again, just to make things even more complicated I managed to take the box to a friends (who is on a superhub) did an internet update which cactikid advised, DID NOT FREEZE the box but just said the software was up to date.
#
In my menu I see:

Hardware: HV1.0.00.00
Software: SV1.02.04
Software Date: June 4 2013
Boot V: H3.55x

not that this means owt to me.

Marcus I have tried the turn off (all) thing but still the same.

I think base line is, the 850 is a wayward thing, if you just want all the channels go for a SD version of the KV, if you want HD consistently then pay your subs :-(
Again I will keep on reading and trying, if I get anywhere near I will share, but I am still depending on the experts on here!!!

Barry, I will go through a full list of ons and offs when I get chance and post them, what I need to understand is like I said above, I expect to get all channels available but I am fast realising this will prob never be the case.

A780 and A850 both run from same server for SD channels so will be interesting to see if when reported channels not working on one after a reset and rescan off course does or does not on the other.

One thing I can tell you is that a new linux server was setup and recent updates moved folk from using old server to new one with the idea being new setup would be more stable. Since then service seems to be degrading but sceptical as to it being one box over the other and likely to find both the same.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

interesting as both houses have a super hub and in one box cant update,and in other it does,can you confirm previous firmware was the 1.06? which i was told could not but others did,if that is the case are both superhubs the older one and possibly on different firmwares i would think?.

could they be updating the firmware when the mod is done? curious of how it was done when thinking of it now lol

Last edited:
I suspect it was updated after mod. I certainly do makes sense to have latest firmware when people are going to be looking for faults. But does not explain why he gets freezing and other gets ad expected already updated.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Hello all again, I am not on a superhub, i have a virgin supplied modem and a (mine) netgear g router.
I must have been on the up to date firmware from the start (ish) but I am still unsure why it let me do it that one time.
The only feed that pulls in the lists of network ID's is telewest, I don't get any scanning other feeds.

When its a little later I will look through the channels to see what I can now get. i know I now get sky sports 1 hd which I didn't yesterday. So that confirms Barry's logic about the mod. At this moment I would say go for the mod guys, you ain't got nothing to loose.

When wife/kids have left me in peace I will try to find time to flick through!!!

Thanks to everyone again, fingers crossed we may be getting there (or at least a little closer).

possibly as you say barry the mod was done and checked and it was updated there in test mode,as we assuming it was not but it does make sense.
if anybody else gets the mod check the firmware date first before doing anything else just to confirm please.

sorry jake thought you were on the hub lol.

Back