Recover Dead Skybox Flash Using Serial RS232 Null modem Cable

If you have a pci slot spare just buy a serial card, costs about 6 quid.

Hi NuTTeR

Don't have a tower PC at all so got myself an old Dell of eBay for a tenner (collect from the next town) complete with original Windows XP Pro.
Then purchased a RS232 cable also off eBay for £3 and Bobs yer uncle, all up and running (y)

Got myslef a Rs323 to usb cable downloaded F3 recovery tool from Skybox Skybox website (it worked on my F5s) and Downloaded the latest image file i could find Ran the recovery tool used the file and now in back up and running

hi I have a skybox f5 and got the null cable connected all up followed instructions downloaded the first file tried to install picked the right port and says invalid file tried to download option 2 and it says it doesn't excist anyone help please

Hope this works as my box appears to have powered down for no apparent reason?

---------- Post Merged at 11:48 AM ----------

Will the usb version of this serial cable do the trick?

hi i am a new user and trying to download this file but failed could you plz help me thx

You need to rub your stomach and slap your forehead whilst clicking the download button, if it doesn't work first time keep slapping!

I will try to fix Skybox F6 clone.
Its appears: " S/W authentication failed because the security chip is invalid or empty "

Last edited:
Will the usb version of this serial cable do the trick? Hi Waynebinuk. I would say that the answer to your question is possibly / probably not. Have read of a lot of folk with problems. I've bought 2. Neither worked (Using Win7 64bit if that's relevant). Having said that Padster above got one that works. Please tell us the source Padster and what operating system. I'm willing to try a 3rd.

Last edited:
Back