SF8 installation all-nighter= pounding headache and bleary eyes. FURTHER QUESTIONS..

when you extract from winrar its probably the only folder there to move to usb stick.
it was the duo i was thinking on as that as a sub folder so not for you.
follow the tut for flashing and remember usb in/out when powered off only as box reboots when done then power off and remove usb.
yes as when you opened the box from wos and do it in the morning when bright.
note for future use leave box on standby and dont power off router as that brings problems.
when box is flashed you have wheelos tut he did for octagon.
if you have an nline use his ipk file.

yes you will have to install evreything again.just take your time the thing you must get right is setting up the epg make sure it is saving to your usb or this problem will happen again, as it will just default and save in your root memory.you can check this by using filezilla in media/usb

Last edited:
Thanks guys. That mostly seems okay. I dont have to remove anything first (apart from backing up my mgcamd files), i can just go right ahead and do this?

Also, i'm not sure if i'm getting this but right but are you telling me that the box and router should remain powered on at the mains all day and night when at work and asleep, on holiday etc? That does seem extreme if indeed the case.

---------- Post Merged at 08:49 AM ----------

yes you will have to install evreything again.just take your time the thing you must get right is setting up the epg make sure it is saving to your usb or this problem will happen again, as it will just default and save in your root memory.you can check this by using filezilla in media/usb

I'll take extra care when doing this. However i'm concerned that i was getting sluggish performance and spinning vix for an entire day before buying a usb and installing the epg or picons. What could be the cause of that?

Right from the very start when adjusting my picture to fit the screen i was experiencing a lot of crashes as well. It makes me think somethings not been right from the start.

do not power your router off overnight. it is ok to to power of your sat box. you can use the power timer to wake up the box and do its updates.

We typically have everything in the house switched off at the mains between say 11am- 7pm and then off again between midnight and 8am. This is so we don 't use unnecessary electricity.

Both the router and the box need to be on at the mains 24/7 from now on then? With box in standby mode?

you can download a power timer for your sat box and set it to power off at say 11am and wake up at say 6.30 pm to do the updates required epg etc. then go into standy at 6.45 after the updates have complte however, leave your router on at all times.

Thanks mate. I hope these appliances have a low energy draw. My girl is goin to kick my behind leaving things plugged in 24/7

you can turn your sat box off if you wish just not your router, as you are resetting it evrey time.

Guys tried this tonight and it won't work. Formatted to FAT32 and followed all the steps and followed many different guides including the Openvix gid for the SF8 specifically but nothing works. The light always turns blue, vix loads up and the tv comes on.

The official guide for the SF8 is a bit different, it states that the display will show "usb" but that isn't even happening.

I think i have 7 days to return the box and i'm just about at that stage now. Are WOS generally okay with their returns?

as i stated earlier vu are fussy with usb sticks try another.

dont give up cause of user error as you will get there in the end.

Last edited:
as i stated earlier vu are fussy with usb sticks try another.

Are vu and octagon much the same?

I don't have another to hand mate i'd have to go and buy one and that might not work either. I'm just getting concerned about getting my money back now. I've been at this since Thursday and going nowhere fast. it's crashed since the minute i switched it on basically.

same setup as all are enigma2 boxes,a tut for one will work for other only the image is box dependent,mistakes in setting up happens that is why you start from scratch with a new flash,i know its annoying but you will overcome this hurdle.

same setup as all are enigma2 boxes,a tut for one will work for other only the image is box dependent,mistakes in setting up happens that is why you start from scratch with a new flash,i know its annoying but you will overcome this hurdle.

I'm just concerned that this box came to me with problems straight away, before i even did anything to it the screen was going black with error messages. The website states i have 7 days from purchase to return. I'll drop them a message to let them know of my concerns meanwhile i'll try another usb stick. The stick i've been using is toshiba. Is there any brand that comes strongly recommended for this?

i use a 8gb integral usb as the body of it flashes to show activity,if it was a bad flash the first thing they will say is reflash box again,no problem dropping a message.

i use a 8gb integral usb as the body of it flashes to show activity,if it was a bad flash the first thing they will say is reflash box again,no problem dropping a message.

Hi Mate, i went over to asda and bought the exact same usb flash drive. Have just gave it a whirl and no joy again unfortunately. My power led turns purple for a fraction of a second but then just turns blue and then openvix loads up and the tv comes on afterwards.

I don't think there's a lot more i can do. WOS surely can't expect me to keep buying flash drives in the hope that it will work.

Its simply not working for me mate. The wait for the two red lights bit isn't actually even a "wait" in this case. Both lights come on immediately after switching on the rocker switch at the back, so i press ch+ straight away, led goes purple for a split second then back to blue again (which it does anyway with no usb in the port), openvix then loads up on the screen as normal and on comes the tv as normal...no flash happening at all here unfortunately ...and that's two usb's i've purchased now. (WOS already owe me a tenner for delivering to the wrong address and making me drive 20 miles to collect the box lol).

Also the guide you have posted is different from the guide on the website for the SF8 where it says the word "usb" will appear on the display..., this isn't happening either.

I'm currently trying the USB disk storage format tool 5.0 for formatting to fat32 and if that doesn't work then it's going straight back to the shoppee.

on your usb what is the file called or size and what image are you using

Folder 'xp1000' installed to the root of my fat32 usb. Downloaded from openvix official. Build - Openvix-zeus.023-sf8

Tried the USB disk storage format tool 5.0( as often recommended by a chap called phoenix) on both usb sticks and it still doesnt work.

I'll explain exactly what happens in my situation....

Power off at the back, plug in usb, power on again. Both red lights (both led and record) come on immediately (so i press ch+) main led goes purple for a split second then it goes off, the red record light comes on instead (on its own) for a while (say 10 secs) it then goes off and the main led flicks to purple for a split second again before changing to blue and on comes openvix.

I've tried different techniques for pressing the ch+ button but nothing works. I've read on the wos main forum that a flash can be attempted from the vix image manager menus but quite frankly i've had enough, i've spent hours upon hours at it sitting up late, and everybody in the family is fed up with it lol . I just hope that i get refunded without any hassle.

I very much appreciate all the time spent by you guys trying to help me out here but unfortunately i don't think this is happening. Like i say the reception quality is excellent but 10 seconds to change a channel and out of the box crashing isn't good imo.

patience as your rushing read the tut again.

Wait for both RED REC LED and LED on front standby button to appear RED then press CH+ behind front flap.

Back