SF8 installation all-nighter= pounding headache and bleary eyes. FURTHER QUESTIONS..

i still dont think there is a problem with the box. however, linux based boxes are not for beginners if i where you i would look at a blade box these are very easy to setup and should give you no problems. or even a skybox if you just want to watch tv without recording too much it will more than suit your needs.

Last edited:
i still dont think there is a problem with the box. however, linux based boxes are not for beginners if i where you i would look at a blade box these are very easy to setup and should give you no problems. or even a skybox if you just want to watch tv without recording too much it will more than suit your needs.

But after installing as per instructions it takes 10 secs to change a channel and that just cant be right. And as much as i'm a noob im certain that the guides were followed to the letter even if it did take me 6-7 hours to learn ftp and where to find config files etc. its definitely not related to epg etc as this sluggishness was happpening before i installed 7day epg picons etc. The only thing i possibly did wrong was install two sets of bouquets but that was done per the WOS pdf instructions for setting up bouquetsmaker.

In terms of the reflash it simply isn't working and it should work exactly as the tutorials say so but it isnt. I shouldnt be expected to do any more than that really.

The ironic thing mike is that my thread before this one was titled 'blade5000 or octagon sf8' lol. I managed to set up a blade pretty well but was persuaded by the sf8. Lol

Win some lose some i guess.

cactikid seems to think you have not read the re-flash instructions properley. i think your earlier problems were due to your epg flashing to the root memory or it happend at least once so it will cause problems. if you think you installed two channel lists that could be a problem with the epg aswell.

cactikid seems to think you have not read the re-flash instructions properley. i think your earlier problems were due to your epg flashing to the root memory or it happend at least once so it will cause problems. if you think you installed two channel lists that could be a problem with the epg aswell.

Lol i sense that but i've actually tried all the guides, theyre actually the easiest instructions to follow but the box isn't responding as it should.

In terms of the epg that you have mentionedon a few occasions you think i've flashed to the root memory...i just want to clarify something in case ive missed something here.

Before installing 7 day epg, picons etc. I set up my softcam and mgcamd files and installed autoboquets. At this point i only had the basic 'now and next' epg. Are you saying that Is it possible this basic now and next epg being on the root memory is causing an issue? I just want to clarify on this please mate since you keep ststing how you think it may be the problem. It was at this stage on Thursday night/fri morning that i experienced the sluggishness and reported it on here.

It wasnt until friday night before i bought a usb and installed the 7day epg.

the problem is they flashed it ok there end so there is no problem getting the image onto the box. this is why it is difficult to pin point the problem for a fact i know you did not flash the new image correctly as cactikid pointined out. i dont know what you have done wrong. however, once you have done the basic setup there are only two steps before you should be able to get all your channels 5 mins max. this is what i would do
1. reflash the image it obviousley works as it has already been done
2 get Cccam 2.13 use this for your n-line install the cam in the normal way
3 copy and paste your line as provided by your supplier to var/etc in the Cccam.cfg file
once you have this working then look at other things.

did you set up mgcamm like this
http://www.techkings.org/vu-solo-su...-camm-vix-image-vu-solo-vix-using-n-line.html.
just had a thought the reason your channels may not of come on straight away is down to the ping rate this is how quick your server is talking to your sat box.

Last edited:
I assure you that i have followed the instructions exactly mate. Cactikid actually posted the wrong guide. The sf8hd one is different and csn be found on the wos website bit it still doesnt work. Unless the tutorial is wrong or my two usbs arent compatible. But how many usbs do i need to buy before enough is enough.

I'll see if i can take a video of me doing a reflash for you. Im that confident ive followed the steps exactly.

---------- Post Merged at 10:54 AM ----------

Oh asfor mgcamd yes i did that but the was no .list file present which was the biggest problem i encountered. A qyick google search reveals this is common. I actually found a .list template from a guy on another forum where people were having the same issues. I edited it with my own nline details dropped in the 'user/keys folder' as var/keys was aitomatically moving it there anyway (again apparently common)

---------- Post Merged at 10:58 AM ----------

Aplogogies mike. The file in the link is different. I used the mgcamd file 1.35a from the openvix softcams section.

Is this a problem?

mgcam file 1.35a has known problems. that is why it is recomended to use 1.38c if all your settings are still on the box just delete 1.35a in softcam/ci and reinstall as my instructions. you may find it fixes your problem make sure you restart after the install. all octagon sf8 are HD

I TAKE IT THIS IS HOW YOU ARE DOING IT
– Fully power the receiver down via the rocker switch at the rear of the receiver.
– Insert the USB stick containing the image files into the rear USB port on the receiver.
– Power the receiver on from the rear rocker switch
– Wait until you see USB appear on the receivers display, once you see this you must press the
CH+ located behind the flap on the front of the receiver to initiate the flashing process.
– Wait for the image to flash to the receiver. when the flashing process has completed the
receiver will automatically reboot.

Last edited:
mgcam file 1.35a has known problems. that is why it is recomended to use 1.38c if all your settings are still on the box just delete 1.35a in softcam/ci and reinstall as my instructions. you may find it fixes your problem make sure you restart after the install. all octagon sf8 are HD

I TAKE IT THIS IS HOW YOU ARE DOING IT
– Fully power the receiver down via the rocker switch at the rear of the receiver.
– Insert the USB stick containing the image files into the rear USB port on the receiver.
– Power the receiver on from the rear rocker switch
– Wait until you see USB appear on the receivers display, once you see this you must press the
CH+ located behind the flap on the front of the receiver to initiate the flashing process.
– Wait for the image to flash to the receiver. when the flashing process has completed the
receiver will automatically reboot.

Ahh i wasnt aware that the file was problematic. It was the only one available on the site for mgcamd. My entire installation procedure matched that laid out in your instructions apart from having to source the .list myself (apparently they dont include in the ipk on the website).

Yes mate , that is indeed the flash instructions for the SF8 that i have been following. I dont get the usb light appearing on the display. I have also tried cactikids as wel which i believe is for the xp1000+( the earlier model)

Last edited:
if you are not getting the usb light it means that the box dose not like your usb. try using my mgcamm like i said you may see an improvement.theu normally have to be a good branded usb same as the vu range.

Last edited:
Yeah thats what i thought as well. I could buy another one and it might not work either and before i know it ive spent 20-25 quid on usb flash drives that i dont need. I'm supposed to be reducing costs lol.

I didn't know that about 1.35a mike. I'll try tonight as a final attempt with 1.38 as per your tut. Ive logged the box for return anyway now.

Why do they only have 1.35a on the openvix site though for mgcamd?

i got 1.38c off the world of sat it was a while ago. like i say i have flashed it on loads of boxes never, had any problems. i use a scandisc usb seems to work on all models of sat box

Last edited:
i got 1.38c off the world of sat it was a while ago. like i say i have flashed it on loads of boxes never, had any problems. i use a scandisc usb seems to work on all models of sat box

Okay well i'll see if i can talk the shop into taking the other usb back and try a sandisk and 1.38. If that fails then i give in lol.

I presume when you get something that works then you should stick to it and dont do any updates etc in case it all goes to sh*t?

i have not even updated to the latest zeus as mine still works fine. if it is not broke dont fix it.

Seems like sound advice to me. I was always ubder the impression that enigma 2 owners are always updating and tinkering to the latest bits and pieces.

I'll report back with how i get on with 1.38 later mate. Thanks again for all the advice given.

Update, i installed 1.38c and no major improvements at all, still spining vix and sluggish (approx 10 secs to change channel).

Went to argos and picked up a Sandisk cruzr 8gb usb to try and reflash once again. Low and behold the usb light came on and it is now re- flasing as i write. So for anyone who has the misfortune to read this thread in future wondering how to flash an Octagon SF8 HD. Get yoursef a SANDISK CRUZR 8GB.

Lets hope the installation works out a little better this time now.

---------- Post Merged at 10:50 PM ----------

Just going through the basic setup and switching between menus and navigation is far far better this time.

back to original problem trying to set up epg to box with no usb will give problems as it goes to flash not good,all my boxes are on the 1.35a and no problems,if you use nline use the 1.35a it suits them,dont start putting nlines in with cccam.a different usb means make not its twin as you are now rocking on the cruzer.

the tut was from wos for the max1000 and its newer model octagon sf8

Last edited:
back to original problem trying to set up epg to box with no usb will give problems as it goes to flash not good,all my boxes are on the 1.35a and no problems,if you use nline use the 1.35a it suits them,dont start putting nlines in with cccam.a different usb means make not its twin as you are now rocking on the cruzer.

the tut was from wos for the max1000 and its newer model octagon sf8

I'm getting quite confused mate? are you saying to use 1.35a and no 1.38c as shown by Mike123?

Also i dont know what you mean about flashing epg to the box with no usb as i've never done this.

I'm currently having problems getting a picture on the 1.38c. I'm using Mikes guide - http://www.techkings.org/vu-solo-su...-camm-vix-image-vu-solo-vix-using-n-line.html

I've edited the newcamd.example file with my line details restarted my cam in softcam manager but no channels are appearing this time.

---------- Post Merged at 11:26 PM ----------

I have - CWS = myline myline myline myline 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 server 1

I've saved the file as newcamd.list obviously 'myline' is my private details. The softcam 1.38c has been installed to the tmp file before this and installed via local extensions and softcam restarted with a tick shown.

wheelo has your box and is on the 1.35a and no problems he has the nline also.
rephrase that when setting box up for epg did you say download at a set time if so default is sent to internal flash as no usb in rear

I might switch over to it again as 1.38c doesn't appear to be working. Does the information in the newcamd.list file that i've provided look okay? I've taken this from mikes guide. If it looks okay i can just apply it to the 1.35a cam.

Also if i switch to 1.35 do i need to delete anything from the tmp or var(user)/keys folders? i'm a bit weary of leaving stuf on there that i shouldn't

Back