SF8 installation all-nighter= pounding headache and bleary eyes. FURTHER QUESTIONS..

i note also that wheelo names it as an 'mgcamd.list' file whereas mike calls it a 'newcamd.list file'

there's certainly a newcamd.list.example file in var(user)/keys

---------- Post Merged at 11:52 PM ----------

unsure if you loaded a channel bouquet or scanned the 28.2 for channels,

channel boquet mate, as per point 4 here : http://www.techkings.org/general-satellite-discussion/54103-how-setup-vu-solo-duo-vix-image.html

---------- Post Merged at 11:59 PM ----------

i am pretty sure the first time that i did this i installed an additional file into var(user)/keys

i think it was an mg_cfg file but it isn't noted in either mike or wheelo's guide.

when you load the 1.35 ipk file there will be 2 files in /usr/keys newcamd list with your details and underneath mg_cfg file
unsure if you could delete those 2 files first there on 1.38 before you ftp 1,35a?

when you load the 1.35 ipk file there will be 2 files in /usr/keys newcamd list with your details and underneath mg_cfg file
unsure if you could delete those 2 files first there on 1.38 before you ftp 1,35a?

I've noticed that there is actually an mg_cfg already in there with 1.38. I'll have a mess around and i can at least always reflash now if it gets too messy.

checked on wos no 1.38 anymore only the 1.35 listed,your getting better now lol
reflash may be the better option as its still on usb stick i hope lol

checked on wos no 1.38 anymore only the 1.35 listed,your getting better now lol
reflash may be the better option as its still on usb stick i hope lol

Okay, i'm still using 1.38 at the minute and now have channels. This came about after simply doing an automatic channel scan. (Might be worth adding this to your guides guys). I should note that i haven't got to the 7day EPG part yet as i wanted to get channels first. General observations are that while its not lightning fast it is definitely faster than it was at changing channels.

However, Menu navigation has become a bit stuttery again since the channels have appeared and the occasional spinning vix still appears (but not as much).

I'm going to try both this and 1.35 again ans see what i think.

---------- Post Merged at 12:52 AM ----------

I would also like to know, under autobouquetsmaker>configure when i switchsetup mode to expert there is an option called 'keep all bouquets' shuld this be at yes or no? not too sure what this function is.

Trying the 1.35a and after installing ipk with this version the var/keys folder is sitting empty. Softcam/CI also tells me that i need to install mgcamd file in var/keys.

So is it newcamd.list or mgcamd.list that i need to create and do i also need an mg_cfg file in this instance?

---------- Post Merged at 02:12 AM ----------

MGcamd.list is the file type mentioned to be dropped into var/keys in wheelo's tutorial but i don't think this is correct. I think this should be newcamd.list? I've just used the exact same newcamd.list file that i used for 1.38 along with the same mg_cfg file that i used the very first time around last week when things went pear shaped (this was sourced from the internet somewhere) and it has worked. Not sure if should use this mg_cfg file or perhaps i should make a copy of the mg_cfg that came with softcam 1.38 and drop that in here with 1.35.

1.38c is perfectly stable did you start the camm. and did you remember to tick the box enable on start up. if you want to use 1.35 follow my guide in var/keys the file you are looking for newcamd. list.example.when you install the ipk file it should create the files you need

Last edited:
1.38c is perfectly stable did you start the camm. and did you remember to tick the box enable on start up. if you want to use 1.35 follow my guide in var/keys the file you are looking for is mgcammlist.example.when you install the ipk file it should create this.

Yes mate ticked the box.

Both worked but wouldnt say either is great. I took a video to show you which i will need to figure how to do.

In summary, this is what happens when i install each .ipk:

1.38c ipk - installation of this automatically creates a newcamd.list file and a mg_config fille under var(user)/keys. I simply put my line details into the newcamd.list file.

1.35a .ipk - installation of this .ipk doesn't auto create any folders under var(user)/keys. I thereforehad to use a copy of the same .newcamd.list files as above and also dropped in a pre configured mg_config file that i found online at another forum. (Because i didn't save the file created by 1.38c)

Now, i need to clarify here please as i feel theres some abmbiguity. What exact files should sit under user(var)/keys?

Wheelos guide is for 1.35a and it states just mgcamd.list is required, however it isnt autocreated when 1.35a is installed, (newcamd.list and mgg_cfg are)

Mike123.guide is for 1.38c and it states to use newcamd.list.example however mike has just posted above that i should use mgccamd.list.example. As above no files are autocreated under user(var)/keys when i install 1.38c

Last edited:
i use the ones that are in my guide it works fine.
in 1.35 i would follow wheelos guide i have never used 1.35 just create the file your self using notepad
in 1.38 my set up works perfectly fine
i dont think it actualy matters because if you download Cccam 2.13 you can put your line in var/etc however, you just copy and paste the line as your supplier sent it.
another thing to think about is the ping rates as i mentioned in a earlier post this may be causing your problem

i use the ones that are in my guide it works fine.
in 1.35 i would follow wheelos guide i have never used 1.35 just create the file your self using notepad
in 1.38 my set up works perfectly fine
i dont think it actualy matters because if you download Cccam 2.13 you can put your line in var/etc however, you just copy and paste the line as your supplier sent it.
another thing to think about is the ping rates as i mentioned in a earlier post this may be causing your problem

I might drop wheelo a line on his thread to confirm but i'd be incline to go with 1.38 as it seems to be preconfigured and there's no noticeable difderence between the two anyway.

Excuse my ignorance mate. Ping rates? Is that to do with internet speed? How would i check this?

ping rates are how fast your server is talking to your sat box. you can check this on your sat box however, i forgot where it is i will have a play and come back.
when you talk about your channel changeing taking upto 15 seconds do you mean
1. it changes channel but takes ages for the programme to display
2. it just takes ages to actually swap the channel. (this should happen in 1 second)
i do hope yoi have stopped turning off your router

Last edited:
ping rates are how fast your server is talking to your sat box. you can check this on your sat box however, i forgot where it is i will have a play and come back.
when you talk about your channel changeing taking upto 15 seconds do you mean
1. it changes channel but takes ages for the programme to display
2. it just takes ages to actually swap the channel. (this should happen in 1 second)
i do hope yoi have stopped turning off your router

Thanks Mike, that would be good. I will check it when i get home tonight. As for router, its not been switched off mate no.

With channel delay it seems to vary. With the longer delay the screen goes black for upto 10-12 seconds before the picture displays. Like i mentioned, i have a video which i will try and figure how to upload from my phone. The video shows some decent switching at the start and then it goes quite bad.

---------- Post Merged at 11:18 AM ----------

The other question i had was again i relation to Abouquets.

Like i mentioned in last nights ramblings, i followed your guide and part of that (no 4) was setting up AB. However after installing cam etc i coukdnt get channels until i ran an autoscan after which they immediately appeared.

The Autobouquet i set up was just for a main regional channel list and nothing else.

When i press down and then blue (favourites) i can see my all channels list which is fine but i also have a 'last scanned' listed as well which appears to list all the channels with some sort of '2' prefix to them.

I just want to establish that everything here is okay.

ok it sounds like it is taking a while for your box to connect to your server. after you have changed the channel. leave it as it is for now on your channel list it is ok my brother has two channel lists for some reason it dose not cause any problems.
1. it could be ping rates
2. pm me the server you use and i will get a test line to see if the same behaviour happens on my box i seem to remember one of the servers i used i had this problem when i first started. i changed server to the one i use now hey presto no problems

Mike123, i still haven't been able to try out your suggestion yet. Havent heard back. Hopefully by tonight.

However..

I believe this issue could have something to do with softcams. Since i have an nline ive naturally been trying mgcamd as per most tutorials. Last night i set up Cccam 2.13 (same as mike uses) and performance has improved significantly it has to be said.

Spinning vix only seems to appear rarely (just on the odd occasion) and sly Channel switches seem to be no more than 4-5 secs.

I notice that non sly channels such as bbc 1 and bbc 2,.itv etc switch between each other instantly now. Just the sly channels have slight delay but nothing like 10-12 secs.

Simple Menu navigation still isn't great. Its blazingly fast prior to install.

Last edited:
it seems to be all working fine. the sly channel change may be just because it is taking time to connect to your server. i use mgcamm now however, it is always easier to set it up using Cccam if you dont experince any glitching just leave it as it is. it is advised to use mgcamm 1..35a on the newer images apparently. but if yours is working dont bother.

Update - Problem fixed completely. Issue was caused by default settings under menu/settings/VFD_SF8. By switching this to off everything is perfect. I read a guy on another forum having the exact same issues and he resolved the problem by himself.

I believe this is related to the display panel on the front of the box which is now off. I believe this panel is the only difference between the SF8 and the earlier XP1000 model.

Cant think why this panel should need to be off to allow the box to work and how it came like this in the first place but quite frankly i dont care if the display is off.

Should i report this to anyone?

well done mate. you could create a seperate thread and hpefuly they could make it a sticky to help prevent other people pulling their hair out.

ask on wos as the max only has a colour button and the sf8 has a display,they may had other reports.

oops found my bit of paper with notes enigma2 ipk file 1.35a is loaded by filezilla into tmp folder and installed by install local extensions,it should show it loading and when done reboot box.
going back to filezilla look in /var/keys you should now see those 2 files listed mg_cfg and newcamd.list.

sorry about mix up easier to think when awake:(

same on wheelos tut.

Last edited:
what an mg_cfg looks like.

# EMM messages
# 00 don't show any EMMs (default)
# 01 show only valid EMMs
# 02 show valid and bad EMMs with complete data display
M: { 01 }

# ECM messages
# 00 don't show anything about ecm
# 01 normal mode, show pids processed, decoded ecm and cw
# 02 verbose mode, show valid and bad ECMs with data
C: { 01 }

# AU
# 00 disable, no emm pids processed
# 01 enable, emm pids always processed for soft-au and shared cards
# 02 auto, emm started only if channel cant be decoded
# 03 process emm pids for network cards update only
A: { 01 }

# key update (sum 01 or 02 with 04)
# 01 update only new keys, default setting
# 02 update all keys (used for valid PMK checking)
# 04 enable TPS au
# + tps SID, which pmt pid contains au pid
U: { 01 } 0x12c0

# config files folder (softcam, autoroll, ignore/priority)
# 00 files in /var/keys
# 01 files in /tmp
T: { 00 }

# network mode, use summ for several clients
# 00 no network (default)
# 01 newcamd netclient
# 02 radegast netclient
# 04 camd3 netclient
# 08 gbox netclient
# 32 cccamd netclient, card list saved as /tmp/cccamd.info
# (ECM only, supported server version up to 2.1.1, later not work)
G: { 01 }

# network retry, use summ for several options
# 00 disable
# 01 retry every new ecm
# 02 try to connect to offline shares every Q: seconds
# 04 try to detect and fast reconnect to lost (and not used atm) server
# + XX messages number and YY seconds to reconnect
# mg will reconnect to server, if no answer to last XX ecm/keepalive or
# if no answer for last ecm or keepalive sent for YY seconds
# set to 0 to disable
N: { 07 } 5 30

# network ecm timeout in seconds
K: { 05 }

# newcamd dead routes connect retry, sec
Q: { 600 }

# network shares priority
# 00 gbox, newcamd, cccamd, radegast, camd3 (default)
# 01 camd3, radegast, cccamd, gbox, newcamd
# 02 cccamd, newcamd, camd3, gbox, radegast
P: { 02 }

# on screen display type
# 00 No OSD (default)
# 01 neutrino
# 02 enigma
# 03 relook
# + user password for http auth
O: { 02 } username password

# on screen display Options, summ of:
# 01 show emu ecm
# 02 show network shares messages
# 04 show decoding failed / fta
# 08 show emm keys update
# + web port to use for osd
S: { 00 } 80

# Log option, summ of:
# 00 off
# 01 network udp log
# 02 log to console
# 04 file, appended ! delete it by yourself, before it eat all your hdd
# + IP udp-port log-file-name
L: { 03 } 172.16.1.1 28007 /tmp/mgcamd.log

# keep ecm cache, seconds
# every cache entry takes 28 bytes, so 24h cache will take *only* 240-400kb of memory,
# for openbox/elanvision users with remote shares make sense to set it higher than default value,
# to not hammer cards while timeshifting or playing crypted recordings.
E: { 15 }

# cache option, summ of:
# 00 Off (default)
# 01 Ecm pids cache, store pids used to decode in /tmp/ca_cache.list at exit, load at startup, same syntax as restore.list
# 02 Ecm data cache, remember CW for (E:) time
# 04 Emm cache for network cards, do not resend the same emm twice, cache not cleared until restart
H: { 07 }

# reread files, summ of:
# 00 No (default)
# 01 reread config file on channel change (including priority and ignore, but not replace/cache)
# 02 reread SoftCam.Key on channel change
# 04 reread SoftCam.Key if file changed
R: { 00 }

# debug, summ of
# 00 off (default)
# 01 debug ecm
# 02 debug emm
# 04 debug network ecm
# 08 debug network emm
# 16 debug network login
# 32 show mem/cpu stats every 1 min
# 64 add timestamp to log messages
D: { 00 }

# box type
# 00 autodetect, change only if you think wrong type detected.
# 01 dbox2
# 02 dreambox
# 03 triple-dragon
# 04 relook
# 05 openbox
# 06 dreambox/mips
# 08 stapi/kathrein
# 09 stapi/ipbox
# 11 stapi/openbox
B: { 06 } note this number as yours maybe wrong applies to vu and sf8

# map all 180x nagra caids to 1801
# default is 01