Aligning dish using signal finder

Not that your l.n.b is faulted it could be a bad
L.n.b port Have you tried a different satellite cable In case the cable that came with the meter is faulted

Have you old openbox reciever
You could use to power up your Meter
With in the settings of openbox you can
Easily power on the l.n.b

LNB without voltage 13 / 18V does not work. So if the TV broadcast reception works for you, both the box and the LNB are ok. Maybe the satfinder is broken.

I have measured the voltage at the receiver’s port with nothing connected and there is no voltage

I’ve also check the continuity of the cable that came with the sat meter

In your tunner configuration
Configuration mode Advanced
Have you selected l.n.b1
Universial.l.n.b
Try different voltage mode
And tone mode
Then green to save
See what happens

I have a meter like that and the instructions were to remove the feed to lnb and attach it to the receiver side of the meter, use the patch lead supplied attach to lnb side of meter and other end to lnb. If you use it as in post 23 how are you going to move the dish?

I have a meter like that and the instructions were to remove the feed to lnb and attach it to the receiver side of the meter, use the patch lead supplied attach to lnb side of meter and other end to lnb. If you use it as in post 23 how are you going to move the dish?

I have very long arms

In your tunner configuration
Configuration mode Advanced
Have you selected l.n.b1
Universial.l.n.b
Try different voltage mode
And tone mode
Then green to save
See what happens

done that; still 0V, do you get a voltage on yours? Do you (or anyone else following this topic) have a voltmeter to test it once and for all?

mmmmmm and??

I don’t see the point of your question; I’m testing the sat meter connected to the receiver; I don’t see it working any different if I do it on a ladder next to the dish

Are you still having a few problems? A signal finder is only used to peak the signal and not find it. I can tell you an easy peasy way But first I need to know image you have in box and as far as I can see it only has one feed for satellite.

Last edited:
Are you still having a few problems? A signal finder is only used to peak the signal and not find it. I can tell you an easy peasy way But first I need to know image you have in box and as far as I can see it only has one feed for satellite.

If the receiver doesn’t provide a voltage I don’t see me using the signal finder
I’m currently on Whoosbuild Infinity

OK I know that image, its based on openatv, which I have. The following is the easiest way.

1. Set dish at new elevation BUT mark it first to show correct one for 28east.

2. The elevation for 19e is say for high wycombe is 28, for sky its 25 so dish goes up mark new one. Dish is now ok. Check dishpointer for your exact location.

3. You select 19east and save.

4. Loosen dish fixings slightly.

5. go to signal finder and enter a signal frequency that is a known 19e astra channel, use bbc europe 11229 etc but it has to be coorrect ie dvd-s2, vertical, 8psk, 2/3.

6. For this bit you need either 2 people or be able to see signal finder, move dish slowly to right and in less than one minute signal bars will fill BUT digital has a slight delay so pause.

7. If you have a smartphone you can download an app that will show exact direction for 19e, you leave it on LNB. Did I say LNB!! Ah yes, the skew for 19e is different for 28, but you may get a signal with existing skew. The skew for 28 for HW is 13.5 and for 19e its 7.6.

8. when you get a signal , BBC should be around 80-90, do a bit of tweaking ie move elevation, adjust skew, tighten up you can now scan etc. And you could plug in signal meter and it may now work as it actually has a signal.

I know you said you did it before but can you remember the 28e frequency you were using and did you leave dish as is? And did you just see a signal for 19e or an actual channel?

OK I know that image, its based on openatv, which I have. The following is the easiest way.

1. Set dish at new elevation BUT mark it first to show correct one for 28east.

2. The elevation for 19e is say for high wycombe is 28, for sky its 25 so dish goes up mark new one. Dish is now ok. Check dishpointer for your exact location.

3. You select 19east and save.

4. Loosen dish fixings slightly.

5. go to signal finder and enter a signal frequency that is a known 19e astra channel, use bbc europe 11229 etc but it has to be coorrect ie dvd-s2, vertical, 8psk, 2/3.

6. For this bit you need either 2 people or be able to see signal finder, move dish slowly to right and in less than one minute signal bars will fill BUT digital has a slight delay so pause.

7. If you have a smartphone you can download an app that will show exact direction for 19e, you leave it on LNB. Did I say LNB!! Ah yes, the skew for 19e is different for 28, but you may get a signal with existing skew. The skew for 28 for HW is 13.5 and for 19e its 7.6.

8. when you get a signal , BBC should be around 80-90, do a bit of tweaking ie move elevation, adjust skew, tighten up you can now scan etc. And you could plug in signal meter and it may now work as it actually has a signal.

I know you said you did it before but can you remember the 28e frequency you were using and did you leave dish as is? And did you just see a signal for 19e or an actual channel?

The dish was pointed at 28.2E and I could scan and see some channels
The zgemma built in signal finder page would show signal bars, but not always, which I didn’t understand; maybe I have to also be on a receivable channel for the bars to show up?

I first tried and find 19.2E before buying the sat meter; what worries me is the lack of voltage on the receiver port, or does this only appear when I’ve roughly pointed the dish at an actual satellite?

Its a signal finder!! So no signal finder = no readings, that's the idea. The best signal finder is an actual picture. Are you using a sky dish and that can be a zone 1 or a zone 2, zone 2 is 60cm and zone 1 is about 43cm. Can you say why you want 19e and did you have all the free to aur chanels on 28e.? Can you move dish and see TV on your own? Where roughly are you?

Its a signal finder!! So no signal finder = no readings, that's the idea. The best signal finder is an actual picture. Are you using a sky dish and that can be a zone 1 or a zone 2, zone 2 is 60cm and zone 1 is about 43cm. Can you say why you want 19e and did you have all the free to aur chanels on 28e.? Can you move dish and see TV on your own? Where roughly are you?

Hi, you didn’t answer my question, which I‘ll reformulate

I cannot get a voltage on the sat meter so it never lights up; with this I mean that it has some LED that are supposed to be lit when it’s connected, regardless of signal; is this normal? Will the zgmemma only provide a voltage when the dish is aligned?

I want to see Movistar+ and I’m in Warwickshire

Well you missed a few of mine as well!! but I forgive you. I install sats ie fixed and motorised and I dont use a signal meter, I use the picture and the built in signal meter in the various boxes but I have a small tv that I can take on roof etc. To test your meter is working keep dish on 28 east select a sat that know say BBC1 HD wait until you have a picture. Now at box disconnect sat cable and plug into signal meter box end, then plug i dish cable to lnb end. As BBCHD is vertical the red light should appear at 13v. now switch to a horizontal channel say CH5 and horizontal should light. If they don't meter is faulty or the little cable that came with it has broken in thee middle as they sometimes bend it to fit in box. Make up your own cable if you can but try it first.

Movistar + I'll check frequency but its encrypted? I got it but signal not as powerful as say das erste. I get 82 and 99. Thats why dish size is important.

Now asnwer my few Q's after you check meter I take it you cant see TV and move dish?

Last edited:
Well you missed a few of mine as well!! but I forgive you. I install sats ie fixed and motorised and I dont use a signal meter, I use the picture and the built in signal meter in the various boxes but I have a small tv that I can take on roof etc. To test your meter is working keep dish on 28 east select a sat that know say BBC1 HD wait until you have a picture. Now at box disconnect sat cable and plug into signal meter box end, then plug i dish cable to lnb end. As BBCHD is vertical the red light should appear at 13v. now switch to a horizontal channel say CH5 and horizontal should light. If they don't meter is faulty or the little cable that came with it has broken in thee middle as they sometimes bend it to fit in box. Make up your own cable if you can but try it first.

Movistar + I'll check frequency but is is encrypted?

Now asnwer my few Q's after you check meter I take it you cant see TV and move dish?

I currently have a scaffolding that I can use to get to the dish and I could bring the receiver and a monitor, but first I want to be 100% sure the receiver is working as expected
It has a label just below the satellite input reading ‘13-18V DC’ and this should power the sat meter and it just doesn’t happen, so is the receiver faulty? Yes, I’ve checked the cable and it’s fine

you said you had it tuned to 28.2e and it worked so why would you think its the receiver?
take the meter out of the mix and just use your tv to tune it mate

you said you had it tuned to 28.2e and it worked so why would you think its the receiver?
take the meter out of the mix and just use your tv to tune it mate

because it doesn’t output any voltage, should it? After 57 posts nobody has answered this yet

If you have the option to connect a wifi router to the box, then I recommend you to use the SignalMeter application in your Android or Apple - phone or tablet.
I used this as a beginner. Great tool.
SignalMeterE2SatFinder

Last edited:
Back