Am I getting the best resolution I can get?

I find the Video settings very confusing in Openatv 7.3. I have a 4k, LG tv with HDMI 2.0a... and a 4k Octagon sf8008. When I watch some 4k IPTV sport or whatever, I see the video content coming in is 4k but output is "video mode 1080p". When I put on a 4k IPTV stream my tv will switch to HDR mode sometimes, so I presume I am getting 4k?
Is there an up to date or an idiots guide, or can someone with more knowledge talk me through the video settings in Enigma 2 / OpenAtv 7.3, to make sure I can get the smoothest, fastest, clearest picture possible? Do I want "automatic resolutions" set to "all resolutions"? Should I use smart 1080p mode? There seem to be various auto options...it would be great just to tick it ALL in one box as auto everything...but life's not perfect, eh? :-)
Thanks.

I do wonder myself if you do get 4K as watching 4K on Prime were only 1080 as quality was bad.
My H7S is at 2160 and refresh rate 50hz.
I dont use IPTV but on foreign sat picture updated to 4K.

Also picture quality might depend on HDMI cable as some are not as sharp or crisp and upgrading has fixed it for me.

There are some IPTV channels in 4k now. One or 2.

As for 1080, it's still quite jerky on some IPTV channels...banners scrolling are very jumpy... on CNN, CNBC and the like. Refresh rate for US tv? Auto doesn't seem to do anything. Can't find an up to date guide for 7.3...

Well, I have used that on older boxes, I was hoping not to need it with this new one. Some streams play perfectly so it's probably the quality from my supplier. Still looking for a perfect supplier!
I will try some of the player options in JediXtream and maybe look at newer IPTV apps. I hear KiddaC has put out a newer one now.
Also I am still struggling with the video settings. I will use trial and error until I get a good set up in 7.3. I reckon they will update them soon with OpenAtv anyway. Very confusing, IMO.

Well, I have used that on older boxes, I was hoping not to need it with this new one. Some streams play perfectly so it's probably the quality from my supplier. Still looking for a perfect supplier!
I will try some of the player options in JediXtream and maybe look at newer IPTV apps. I hear KiddaC has put out a newer one now.
Also I am still struggling with the video settings. I will use trial and error until I get a good set up in 7.3. I reckon they will update them soon with OpenAtv anyway. Very confusing, IMO.
Different plugins probably wont help a lot can just be down to supplier , my basic settings on openatv7.3 I do have service app installed but I just install it I never change the settings just leave them as default
as you will see using xtreamity with just default 4097 it plays 4k stream no problem no buffering but that can be different from another supplier.

also if you want to install service app you can download it from plugins but I honestly do not know if gstplayer is installed by default on openatv I prefer just to install from terminal (putty)

Code:
opkg update
opkg remove enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-serviceapp exteplayer3 ffmpeg
opkg install ffmpeg exteplayer3 enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-serviceapp
opkg remove gstplayer
opkg install gstplayer

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 11
  • main1.jpg
    main1.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for your help. I think my main issue was just the video settings, video output...I set automatic resolutions to All resolutions... and also "always use smart1080p" mode to Off. I changed show 1080p 30fps to 1080p 60Hz hopefully for my US News channels.
I also upgraded from Jedixtream to KiddaC's newer player and bouquet makers which are great...still tweaking settings but now my US streams at least are much smoother. No judder on the moving headline banner thingy. Was giving me headaches!

Thanks for your help. I think my main issue was just the video settings, video output...I set automatic resolutions to All resolutions... and also "always use smart1080p" mode to Off. I changed show 1080p 30fps to 1080p 60Hz hopefully for my US News channels.
I also upgraded from Jedixtream to KiddaC's newer player and bouquet makers which are great...still tweaking settings but now my US streams at least are much smoother. No judder on the moving headline banner thingy. Was giving me headaches!
I still have my stb set to 1080p 50Hz as you will have noticed in the settings image I posted , But I think as you mentioned your problems were just video settings as for KiddaC's new bouquets maker it is not a player just like jedimaker or even if you mean xtreamity they only use default enigma2 player unless you install serviceapp then you have different option but normally that is not needed but can help with some provider streams or vod. Good to hear things are getting better (y)

I will try your settings...it's confusing because some streams are in 4k but are we actually getting full 4k pictures on the screen when output is set to 1080? I'm not sure...

How do I find "Kiddac's new player" I think I found it once, but i've lost it?. Thanks

Does it matter?
If the picture is good enough, who cares?
Of course it matters, dear boy! Were 3 channels in black and white and mono good enough? People want the best possible picture and sound. It makes viewing more realistic and enjoyable...at least for me. Besides, I'm trying to set up a new system and asking for help with alien settings. Isn't that what these forums are for? Information? To help people?

Last edited:
How do I find "Kiddac's new player" I think I found it once, but i've lost it?. Thanks
I downloaded Bouquet Maker Extreme and XStreamity (both are excellent) from OpenAtv 7.3, green button, download plugins. XStreamity is great for watching catchup, movies and VOD type stuff and Bouquet Maker Extreme for making bouquets and viewing live streams. Many thanks again to KiddaC for his great work.

I would have thought box and tv should be 2160 as could upscale when it sees a 4k stream.

How sharp is your so called 4k stream?
The UHD streams now on IPTV are very sharp. Hard to tell though how much of this improvement is from the broadcast side, 4k cameras and transmission and how much of that we are actually seeing if the set top box is set to 1080p output! Seems to me when I set my video output to 2160 my screen just goes black until it times out and goes back to 1080 by default. TV is 4k so I am confused as to what is happening!

Seems strange if it goes blank when box is set to 2160 , my 4k tv still plays 576 from sat without issue.

I do wonder if any YouTube streams are in 4K to check out ?

I assume your hdmi cable is 4K compatible?

Back