Am I getting the best resolution I can get?

A lot of Tv's will have a HDMI port supporting better 4k fps than others, some may only support 25fps other ports higher.

Check your TV manual.

Seems strange if it goes blank when box is set to 2160 , my 4k tv still plays 576 from sat without issue.

I do wonder if any YouTube streams are in 4K to check out ?

I assume your hdmi cable is 4K compatible?
Didn't realise I needed a 4k HDMI cable. Really? I think mine is a pretty cheap one...
Dear Mr Amazon.... ;-)

Didn't realise I needed a 4k HDMI cable. Really? I think mine is a pretty cheap one...
Dear Mr Amazon.... ;-)
if I play a 4k stream or video via my stb my screen does darken down a bit but if i play same stream or video via iptv app on my tv then it does not darken down but no real complaints it is only a cheap hitachi andriod tv does me fine.

Did you try streaming a 4K video to see?
yes I can play 4k streams, the point is if the Octagon is set to 1080p output then surely I am not seeing 4k on my screen? If I set the output to 2160 then my screen goes black. I have ordered a new HDMI cable but I doubt that will change anything... I will post back when I try it.

Solved... for now. As I said, when I set the box video resolution to 2160p I got a black screen. However if I set it to 2160p30, it works fine. But then I was getting jerky chyrons (painful...nobody wants that!) on US tv which has 60hz refresh rate so in the end I went back to these settings :

Video Output : HDMI
Automatic resolution : All resolutions
Delay time : 500 (not sure about that)
Automatic resolution label : 5 seconds
Force de-interlace : No
Always use smart 1080p mode : No
all the rest as default I think
Allow unsupported modes : Yes (not sure?)

So it seems that either the Octagon SF8008 4k OR my TV cannot handle full 2160p...I will try a better HDMI cable as suggested but I don't believe in expensive cables making any difference. It's digital! Works or it doesn't ;-) Both tv and box are HDMI 2.0a so it SHOULD work at higher refresh rates than 30.
Will report back with new cable but this will do for now. The UHD / 4k streams look beautiful and lower res, US and UK tv looks good and smooth so far.

Thanks for everyone's comments and help. Best get to bed..... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

yes I can play 4k streams, the point is if the Octagon is set to 1080p output then surely I am not seeing 4k on my screen? If I set the output to 2160 then my screen goes black. I have ordered a new HDMI cable but I doubt that will change anything... I will post back when I try it.
Think i mentioned it earlier what FPS are use using at 2160 ?

Try another HDMI port on the TV or a lower FPS setting.

Think i mentioned it earlier what FPS are use using at 2160 ?

Try another HDMI port on the TV or a lower FPS setting.
see my post above, mate. I will try another cable and another port.

By the way everyone....WHAT exactly is Smart1080p mode? Should I use that?

Also is 1080p 50hz BETTER on most tvs than 2160p30, as some say it is?

So confusing... there should just be a 4k button!

Last edited:
well I have different device gigablue uhd quad 4k and i can set my output to 2160 but I do not see the need for using that as even most sat channels and my iptv are fhd

SOLVED !!
A new cable enabled my tv to see 2160p....the old one was very long and not up to the job. This is the one I got and it's on offer at the moment :
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BYJFF8YS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 I got the 2 metre one.

Thanks to the guy who said "try a new cable". He was right.
I have my video settings set to "simple" and everything set to 1080p and multi refresh rate except for "Mode for UHD" which now works beautifully set to 2160p (NOT 2160p30) and refresh rate for UHD is multi.

Initially I was getting jerky Chirons (Oww!) on US tv but a quick channel change and back and it is now smooth as organic, grass-fed butter!
I have already viewed a stream of 2160 at 25 hz... very nice and looking out for anything higher than that.

So the old telly is fine...HDMI 2.0a is enough and the Octagon SF8008 4k was not at fault and is a fabulous box, so far!

Thanks, Folks ! :-)

We got TNT sports when we renewed our VM package in July, it includes the ultimate 4k channel, same thing when I tried to watch I got a darkened screen, change in the settings to HDR vivid, it was then a bit better, but not much, ended up buying a sandstrom 4k hdmi lead and it done the job perfectly, great picture now. lead was a bit pricey but worth it.

We got TNT sports when we renewed our VM package in July, it includes the ultimate 4k channel, same thing when I tried to watch I got a darkened screen, change in the settings to HDR vivid, it was then a bit better, but not much, ended up buying a sandstrom 4k hdmi lead and it done the job perfectly, great picture now. lead was a bit pricey but worth it.
This one is great and only £5.99. They also do an "8k" version for £8.99. Really nice quality and came next day from Amazon.
I like the TNT streams, they always seem to work better than Sly and they have a great, 4k/UHD stream. Yeah...try your HDR settings...they vary a lot! Vivid, normal and user adjustable... A pleasure to watch.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BYJFF8YS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

can your tv handle 2160p or is it 2160p30 (30 hz refresh rate)?
yes no problems with any of those screen sizes or refresh rates but I have just ordered a cheap 4k hdmi cable to see if that does make any difference when watching 3824 that does slightly darken when playing 4k

Back