cancelled or soon to be cancelled holidays?

My wife said forget about a holiday this year, she's not going anywhere!.....been looking for a cruise next year on RCI and WOW treble the normal price, and they had the cheek to call it early saver!....lo
I'm meant to be going on a cruise round the italian Mediterranean on 6th June royal haven't cancelled it yet cost me 5k the same cruise for next year works out about 3.5k more so I wont be cruising for a few years

should have been in Cyprus now but nothing off tui got another booked for 1st may 8 weeks skiathos email to say that,s been cancelled been on the phone for hours then they just cut you off not looking good for refund

tour operators are behind, got call tonight from jet 2 regards my mates wedding today although I would've arrived on the 8th so 2 days late in contacting me
you should get some comm's at some time soon

We was due to go to Malta this Thursday, we booked through love holidays and they booked a ryanair flight as part of the package. Ryanair cancelled the flight a couple of weeks ago and offerred a full refund or option to rebook. We asked for refund and they have said it will take upto 20 days and will be refunded to the card that made the booking. We had paid for seats directly so hope to get that portion back but I am assuming the main booking will be refunded to love holidays.

LoveHolidays would not do anything until 7 days before the holiday, they,this week, offered us the option to reschedule the holiday or take vouchers, no cash refund was offered but said unspent vouchers could be refunded. The vouchers would NOT include the cost of the flight but if they get a refund from the airline they would pass it on. Assuming from what they said we could opt for the vouchers and not spend them but instead get a refund on them as unspent, but no option of refund on site and near impossitble to get hold of customer services - not taking calls and you have to use live chat - which obviously is a nightmare at the moment.

We have a trip to Mallorca booked for October - will see what happens with that, I booked flights direct on that one and so far only paid small deposit on hotel.

We booked and payed £3700 to for a 2 week holiday to majorca on the 9/5/2020 paid on credit card going with villa plus villa and flights included.
I dont think anyone is going to be going to spain this year so seems silly not to ask for your money to be returned .. And i would not advice anyone to take vouchers or rebook a later date as with the way things are going a lot of these holiday companys airlines may go to the wall. my advice get your money back it may take a month or 3 to do that but i dont think anyones going anywhere any time soon..

And i would not advice anyone to take vouchers or rebook a later date as with the way things are going a lot of these holiday companys airlines may go to the wall.

The thing with rebooking is that you get the holiday at the price you paid... if demand for holidays outstrips supply when all this is over prices will go sky high. But as you say, the gamble is whether the company is still in business.

I have 2 Holidays to Spain booked this year. One in May and one in Sept. Both flight, Hotel and transfer booked independently.
Like most people thought I was safe as I had Holiday insurance.
I found this whilst scrutinising my travel insurance. It was in the T@C’s
“what you are not covered for”
(your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel
Advice Unit of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or the World Health
Organisation has advised against all, or all but essential travel)

Which in effect made my insurance for this crisis useless.
This exclusion is in most travel insurances and only a very few include it.
Now my flight is cancelled I should get back the money from Easyjet although people are struggling to make contact with them which is understandable as they must be overran.
I paid up front for my Hotel and Transfer so a claim for this is excluded in my insurance.
PS: The hotel has contacted me and offered me a rebooking at a time of my choosing when everything is over or my money back.

In light of the huge amount of deaths in the world because of this virus it seems insignificant that we might loose out on our Holiday.
Remember most people should get their money back so please stay safe and when this is all over you can enjoy your holidays again.

Paying by Credit Card gives you extra protection : If holiday company will not refund, you can make a 'Section 75' claim to the credit card company

some more info here -- Section 75 Refunds

I have 2 Holidays to Spain booked this year. One in May and one in Sept. Both flight, Hotel and transfer booked independently.
Like most people thought I was safe as I had Holiday insurance.
I found this whilst scrutinising my travel insurance. It was in the T@C’s
“what you are not covered for”
(your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel
Advice Unit of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or the World Health
Organisation has advised against all, or all but essential travel)

Which in effect made my insurance for this crisis useless...…...

Ashbi

You may not be interpreting that section correctly (I'm not an expert !!!)

But, I think that phrase means that if you travel to a country against the advice of the Foreign Office your insurance will not cover you.
If you booked your holiday before this crisis (mid March?) your insurance should cover you.
Worth contacting them to check (well for the May one anyway)

Ashbi

But, I think that phrase means that if you travel to a country against the advice of the Foreign Office your insurance will not cover you.
If you booked your holiday before this crisis (mid March?) your insurance should cover you.
He is actually correct, the insurance company's arguement is that if the FCO advise against travel then your travel agent/airline should refund you. My travel insurance is the same.

grog -- Ahh, I see. They don't want too pay out, so refer you to the holiday company.. (either way he should get his money back..)

Ashbi

Even before the pandemic a lot of insurance companies had this clause in the in their T@C’s .
When the outbreak started to effect the rest of the world most insurance companies started to add it In.

I've got Vegas booked in september with BA, my concern is that the holiday WON'T be cancelled and we may have to dilemma of whether we risk going and catching it or taking the hit and losing the cash we've paid. It's a difficult choice.

I've got Vegas booked in september with BA, my concern is that the holiday WON'T be cancelled and we may have to dilemma of whether we risk going and catching it or taking the hit and losing the cash we've paid. It's a difficult choice.
There's no flights from Europe allowed in USA so you should be able to claim the money back now?

Not sure as the flight hasn't been cancelled yet. I'll look into it tho, thanks.
The thing is, it's six months away so BA may not be willing to accept a cancellation as it /could/ be all over then. The risk is BA goes out of business in the meantime.
I had two holidays booked, paid in full for a week 28/03 in France fishing, got vouchers for the ferry and lake owner said he'll give us a week next year, but also paid a deposit for a week this October but probably won't get anything back for that and it's unlikely foreign travel will be back to normal by then

Dubai end of May - Haven't done anything yet however Emirates are allowing to change the booking of the flights to ANY date from the date of travel for upto 12 months without incurring a cost. If we cannot travel within the 12 months then it gets extended. I think this is good of Emirates.

Tel Aviv which got cancelled in March - EasyJet are allowing to change date of flights again waiving the change fee

From what i've seen most Airlines are not providing any form of refund.

Dubai end of May - Haven't done anything yet however Emirates are allowing to change the booking of the flights to ANY date from the date of travel for upto 12 months without incurring a cost. If we cannot travel within the 12 months then it gets extended. I think this is good of Emirates.

Tel Aviv which got cancelled in March - EasyJet are allowing to change date of flights again waiving the change fee

From what i've seen most Airlines are not providing any form of refund.

airlines have had a massive hit already so im guessing no refunds as they would most probably be going out of business

i would take the refund and book again as i think prices will go down overall for holidays as a lot of people will hold off for travelling.

I was on lanzarote when this all shut down, I have a week for late May, and 9 nights in early September booked, I don't expect to get away on any of them trips, nor anything until early 2021 at the earliest.

Neither of my flights have been cancelled just yet so I can't claim a refund until then. (Ryanair has only said until mid April there will only be repatriation/ emergency flights on a small number of routes daily) They want me to panic and cancel - then it is my problem and no refund.

Ryanair fecked me around whilst on holiday - they recommended I change my flight to get home before the 19th(I think) yet charged me €450 for the pleasure - yet my original flight actually flew.

Theres a good article in the daily mirror, it deals with these exact issues.

Irish travel expert on when we can realistically go on holidays again

Back