Covid-19 the second wave

Unfortunately plenty want to delay this.

Might be understandable, but it's misguided.

I'm inclined to think that many of those who wish to delay a return to normality are people who've been furloughed/had hours vastly reduced whilst being paid a full time wage. I think the government have been over generous in many instances.

After all the noise you made a month ago about any kind of return to normality and now you're attempting to say it was all in jest or similar.

I stand by all I said. The situation has developed since then. My view has changed as the circumstances have.

It's hardly a surprise when you said in the other thread that of all the humans in existence you'd like sit down with Jeremy Corbyn.

As an aside, can you imagine if Corbyn was Prime Minister and was doling out money like Johnson has been? He'd be painted as a lunatic who was bankrupting the country. People would say Diane Abbot must doing the sums for him.

I'm inclined to think that many of those who wish to delay a return to normality are people who've been furloughed/had hours vastly reduced whilst being paid a full time wage. I think the government have been over generous in many instances.

Yes I think that is a lot to do with it.

There is also a lot of people who believe the state should be making decisions for them, or, worse, protecting them from risk. It's a very strange mindset to encounter in the wild - covid has really brought them out of the weeds. Fascinating.

Also parents. They have such a skewed sense of risk, and are obviously hyper vigilant. But the risk to their minions is tiny.

Also parents. They have such a skewed sense of risk, and are obviously hyper vigilant. But the risk to their minions is tiny.

I think a big thing for many parents was that teachers (directly to parents in phone calls, not through TU press releases) were telling them that it wasn't safe for children to return. As a parent, if somebody tells me that they can't guarantee the safety of my child then there's no way I'm entrusting them with the care of my child. As it happens, I've never had a decision to make as the government decided pupils the age of my boys won't be returning till September.

As an aside, can you imagine if Corbyn was Prime Minister and was doling out money like Johnson has been? He'd be painted as a lunatic who was bankrupting the country. People would say Diane Abbot must doing the sums for him.

This is very true.

Not just the money - a national crisis is where state backing is needed - but the power grab and state interference in individuals lives. We were a police state at one point with people being told to go in from their front gardens.

If you had told me last year that 2020 was going to see food shortages, queue to get in supermarkets, people being paid not to work, mass unemployment and a socially enforced weekly round of emoji_clap for the NHS I would have staked my house that labour had scored a landslide

This is very true.

Not just the money - a national crisis is where state backing is needed - but the power grab and state interference in individuals lives. We were a police state at one point with people being told to go in from their front gardens.

If you had told me last year that 2020 was going to see food shortages, queue to get in supermarkets, people being paid not to work, mass unemployment and a socially enforced weekly round of emoji_clap for the NHS I would have staked my house that labour had scored a landslide

And £15 to pay for a meal for 5 days for a child to eat at home is also a really un-torylike, over generous amount imo. Strange times politically. There's some weak leadership of a party who seem to be straying far from their usual stance.

I stand by all I said. The situation has developed since then. My view has changed as the circumstances have.
I see.
The situation hadn't changed whatsoever in Tue previous few weeks/months before your poat so so there was no positivity it could change again.
Jeremy Corbyn you say?

The spellchecker made a balls of it.
What I'm saying is that 3 weeks ago when you were saying such things, and now you're saying "that was then this is now" as if no one knew that things would change,
- it was obvious things were going to change.
Things will change a hundred times again in next week or two

80% of ppl who contract Covid19 will never know they had it. No one know's who is susceptible to Covid19 or who it will cause long term problems or even death. The only way you'll know is when you show signs then you can see how bad you get it otherwise, like I said you will know even know you had it, it lies dormant but infectious. A small percentage and I mean small have been children. To me it's all down to the individual. One lady I know in her early 40's took it bad. She was fit and able no underlying and they gave her a 20% chance of surviving. A week later she's up and ready to leave hospital.

Covid19 reacts differently in every person so the only way to stop it is to social distance for as long as possibly to stop the spread. How the F can an app help if 80% don't even know they had or got it and are unknowingly been spreading it ??. My biggest fear is when the next pandemic comes and it will it will be far far more deadlier. Lets hope it isn't at some scientist are predicting a mutation of say Covid with either Mers Sars or Ebola. all 3 are less contagious but far far more deadlier. If any of those 3 cross pollen we are well f88kered as it will kill all ages no matter if you are susceptible or not.

18 years on we've no vaccine for Sars and Covid's cousin the common cold lets hope (was going to say prey but ....... ) Covid never joins hands and says ATTACK !!.

Common sense is the only way to beat this, wash your hands, protect your self masks etc and ,

KEEP YOUR F**ING DISTANCE !!!

The spellchecker made a balls of it.
What I'm saying is that 3 weeks ago when you were saying such things, and now you're saying "that was then this is now" as if no one knew that things would change,
- it was obvious things were going to change.
Things will change a hundred times again in next week or two

Of course everyone knew things would change. But you're saying it as if I've been proved wrong... I was of the opinion it wasn't time to throw caution to the wind and make massive changes to the restrictions - it seems the Government were of the same opinion as they've taken a more cautious approach to easing lockdown than you were insisting they should.

Relative risk adjusted for health conditions by age.

The problem is, the Government massively over exaggerated the risk in order to scare people into complying with the level of restriction that they insisted the nation needed to adhere to. They were very clear that it was not safe to leave your home unless absolutely necessary, not to mix with other households - heck, they had people so paranoid that they were disinfecting food that was delivered to their houses. They made people believe this virus was everywhere and on everything we touched. The blame for all the resistance to coming out of lockdown lies not with the people, but solely with the Government. They wanted people to be massively over paranoid and they succeeded.

Just wait till 2nd peak comes along just like in China ect. Plus meat factory workers have covid so just go careful next time having a ham sandwich at lunch lol

the one thing i loved about the rashford timeline was half the tory party having absolutely no clue who he was.

and football social media melting down about it.
Good old Daniel rashford I mean come on how can they get his name wrong lmaoo f**kin embarrassing, he's learnt sign language and all sorts, fairplay to him i say, least he's having a good go at helping, he was 80/1 with the bookies to win SPOTY b4 he did all this, bet them odds are next to nothing now

It was a publicity stunt.
Govt wanted to appear to be "listening to demands" and the fact he is black did no harm neither given the current BLM protests.
They'd already decided to continue with school meals before Rashford was put on the bandwagon.
Pubs are going to open soon and the ridiculous 14 day quarantine rule will be scrapped too, this is because I put pressure on govt via this forum but will I get the recognition - no, that will be given to children/minorities/LGBT because it looks better on the front page of The Telegraph

Still a nice thing raising over 20 million quid and learning sign language to judge a poetry competition, well done Marcus rashford I say

Rashfords a good egg by all accounts.

Had zero clue about his campaign until people started posting the "Daniel rashford" clip, though.

So can see why half the cabinet didn't even know who he was

Rashfords a good egg by all accounts.

Had zero clue about his campaign until people started posting the "Daniel rashford" clip, though.

So can see why half the cabinet didn't even know who he was
Yeah totally agree, i think he did it purely out of kindness and hope because he was one of them kids growing up, deffo not a publicity stunt imo

Back