Covid-19 the second wave

Sorry, yes , ignore the "rocket science" bit , but I didn't misquote yoy where I responded to your comment that "local lockdown is pointless" , am I missing your point ?

Yeah I was talking about the local lockdown (rather than the national one) that is being speculated about for Leicester only, where the spike was recently - it hasn't been implemented. My point is that they've missed the spike there so local lockdown at this point would not achieve the aim they wish ie nipping it in the bud in each small area they see new cases

the best analogy i've read is one relating to forest fires.

eg in austrailia when much of the forest is burned there are no flames to put out, but if some embers hit an untouched area then you get a localised fire that needs to be dealt with fast before it takes hold of the surrounding area.

certainly, hotspots such as hospitals and care homes are going to be places where outbreaks can quickly take hold.

the outbreak is in east leicester which has a large asian population with multi-generational households and a close community. it's exactly the type of setting where a spike can occur - the untouched land in the forest fire analogy.

if we have quality testing these fires can be put out. not sure a two week lag cut it though

if we have quality testing these fires can be put out. not sure a two week lag cut it though

Quality testing and compliance... I'm not sure people will buy into "local lockdown" as much as they did the national one. Not least because of the lack of protection for people's income if it's local lockdown as opposed to the national one with it's generous furlough system.

it's also so hard with the demographics

multi-generational households in close-knit communities must be the hardest places outside of institutions such as care homes to prevent the spread and shield at risk people.

having at risk people shield from people capable of being asymptomatic carriers was the cornerstone of pretty much every country's strategy.

It's all kicked off big time in Blackburn and Darwen. Again, another large Asian community town has been hit with the second wave.
Large Asian families totally ignoring social distancing once again putting their elderly at risk.

"Prof Dominic Harrison said the majority of new cases were in the south Asian community.
We have we had 114 cases in the last two weeks and 97 are south Asian which is why we want to minimise household contact," Prof Harrison said.

He said it was causing "rising tide events that they are mainly in south Asian areas and areas with a high number of terraced houses and occupied by four or more five people".

Faz Patel MBE, who is a local adviser on community cohesion in Blackburn, said he was worried young people were ignoring advice on social distancing.

"What is happening since the easing of lockdown, we are seeing a lot of young Asian men and other young people spending time with their friends and going to their homes where they might spread the virus to their parents or grandparents," he said.

These idiots are totally ignoring social distancing.
They"ll only realise when they start burying family members

It does seem large Asian communities in cities and towns like Rochdale, bury, Oldham, Wolverhampton, Bradford, Birmingham are simply not following the rules set which is and will lead to local lockdowns.

It's the large families and family gatherings within the the UK's Asian communities that are at fault plus large Asian based businesses. The younger Asian generation are not adhering to the social distancing rules and advise.

Trust me I know, my damn relatives were having parties, going out without any PPE. Guess what happened, all were positive for covid 19 and one of them is still seriously unwell.

Asian people dont give a bloody toss they will use religion to say its Gods will. God doesnt say to just catch serious viruses where it can be prevented. Stupid moronic people in these communities.

Give an example I go few times a month to asian supermarket to get few things for parents. Wear mask and gloves but owner of shop is proper good guy. He gets all the things and puts in the boot, give him the money via card payment and then leave. Drove by in asian areas in my city people are cramming asian supermarkets, shops and restrautns and takeaways. They are all packed out. No social disantanced. Nothing. Zilch.

Wonder why local lockdowns are happening, blame tools like these morons who clearly dont care about their own other peoples lives.

What's the rule now if you go into a bookies, face Covering rule.
Face coverings are currently mandatory on public transport, and in shops, supermarkets, indoor shopping centres, banks, building societies, post offices, and indoor transport hubs.

From 8 August, you will also be required to wear face coverings in a greater number of public indoor settings such as museums, galleries, cinemas, places of worship, and public libraries. Relevant guidance on face coverings is available here.

People are also strongly encouraged to wear face coverings in any other enclosed public spaces where there are people they do not normally meet.

You do not need to wear a face covering if you have a legitimate reason not to. This includes (but is not limited to):

• children under 11
  • because of a physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability
  • to communicate with someone who relies on lip reading
  • to avoid harm or injury; to identify yourself
  • to eat or drink if necessary
You can carry something that says you do not have to wear a face covering for medical reasons. This is a personal choice, and is not necessary in law - you should not routinely be required to produce any written evidence to justify the fact you are not wearing a face covering.

Just had an email from TUI, holiday has been cancelled. We booked for Lanzarote early January well before Covid was on the radar, we were going for the Christmas period.

The only explanation given in the email was either the flight or hotel has been cancelled so we are unable to offer you a suitable replacement.
It's more than likely the hotel's decided to shut for Christmas due to Covid. There's no way I'm booking again now France and Portugal are on the rise

Holidaymakers will face "chaos and hardship" if coronavirus quarantine measures are reintroduced for those arriving to the UK from Portugal, a travel industry leader has warned.

Portugal has recorded 21.1 virus cases per 100,000 people in the past week.

The UK considers imposing 14 days of isolation on travellers when a country's infection rate exceeds 20 cases per 100,000, over seven days
'Chaos' if Portugal goes back on quarantine list

Tbh I'm not too fussed, a few people I know said it's a bit crap with everything that's going on. Then you have the idiot flight from Zante.
At least we'll get our money back as we'd paid in full unlike lots of others who'll be obliged to go unless the Gov say different

I'm just wondering, if there is a big rise in Covid cases then why isn't the hospitals and morgues filling up ?.
I read an article were someone mentioned that the tests are flawed and it's over sensitive. This means that dead Corona virus cells are been detected.
On the subject, my wife has just been tested for anti bodies and was positive. She was ill boxing day lost her voice (brucie bonus) flu like and lost sense of taste.
She said "I bet you have caught it off me through close contact". I said I doubt it :)

My lad got sent home from school yesterday with cough high temp and only found out 3 teachers that teaches him are off work waiting on results of covid 19 tests.

The main reason Hospitals and morgues are not filling up is because 80 0/0 of infections are young stupid people! Birmingham and area Hospitals are starting to fill up with Covid cases and it probably won't be long before there morgues follow suit! Perhaps if we think it won't happen to us we can ignore it!

The main reason Hospitals and morgues are not filling up is because 80 0/0 of infections are young stupid people! Birmingham and area Hospitals are starting to fill up with Covid cases and it probably won't be long before there morgues follow suit! Perhaps if we think it won't happen to us we can ignore it!

Frightening how blasé people are about it "only" being young people who are getting it, as if our vulnerable can be adequately shielded from them.

Back