Covid-19 the second wave

Sadly my brother tested positive few weeks ago and was unwell and was just stuck at home for few weeks. Didn't even know he had it just until a few days ago when he told me. Didn't want parents to worry as he knows what they are like.

He's been in isolation in his flat from us since march. He's so cautious every day so it's surprising it happened. Never know who can get it.

Testing isn't working it's causing more unpredictably with tests.

Add to that any successful vaccine is many years away if ever comes to fruition.

Sadly my brother tested positive few weeks ago and was unwell and was just stuck at home for few weeks. Didn't even know he had it just until a few days ago when he told me. Didn't want parents to worry as he knows what they are like.

He's been in isolation in his flat from us since march. He's so cautious every day so it's surprising it happened. Never know who can get it.

Add to that any successful vaccine is many years away if ever comes to fruition.
I hope he's ok m8, it's as much a mental fight all this isolation for those who can't get out

We needn't worry now because Trump has found a cure!! It's a mixture of antibodies and random rheumatism drugs!! It's taken 10 years off his age!! You couldn't make this up ( or could you )

On the subject of Trump, did anyone watch a World War II Discovery documentary the other night on Hitler and his uprising ?.
There was a section were it talked about Hitlers rise through politics and the tactics he used to gain followers Nazi youth and power.
I kid you not it was so similar to Trumps rise to power it was scary.
Hitler basically denounced every challenge to him as lies/propaganda and fabrication and if they stood in his way he removed them.

Yes I noticed similarities months ago.
His followers are like rabid animals, I've seen journalists trying to interview them and they're the weirdest bunch of misfits you've ever encountered.
I see this morning sixteen of them have been arrested for plotting to abduct a female politician who is an opponent of Trump.
He's already stated that he won't stand down when he loses the election in November

It is scary how he is dividing his own country. His followers seem to be part of some cult in that they would do anything for trump.

IF he loses the election big if he can't lock himself in the white house and refuse to leave. Oh sorry this is trump we are talking about.

But the most scary part is both here and in the US (covid and politics) there's a large section who don't believe and won't accept when they lose the vote or are proven wrong.

Trump like Hitler dictates and if any hurtful / truthful remarks are put to him he just says its lies.
It happened here with the Brexit vote people willing to spend millions challenging the vote.
Now we have idiots not prepared to isolate or wear masks claiming its some nutmeg hierarchy superpower conspiracy theory boll#cks.
There's some guy who's made a tonne of money with conspiracy theories on social media especially YouTube.
So everytime (and I mean everytime) there's a major event he pops up with the usual bull crap arguing blacks white whites Black and people buy into it while he rakes it in.

People need to get real, there's a virus out there killing and we need to find a balance on controlling it and learning to live with it.

For me the answer doesn't lie in lockdown sadly that's been proven it doesn't work once we come out.

I personally feel we should be protecting those who it will affect the most. Most of the population have probably had it don't even know they've got it so let's concentrate all our efforts not in the schools and the younger generation but the old, vulnerable and those we know it can possibly hurt the most.

The youth of today know that on the whole their safe as age is on their side. Look at the video's from Saturday 100's playing cricket in Piccadilly. I went out Saturday 3 mates for a game of pool and social distancing was no were to be seen.
I also feel a vaccine flu type jab to prevent is our best bet. If we don't then I'm afraid the virus is here for the foreseeable future.

Thats awful, best wishes to him and your family. What is the way forward in your opinion ?

But the most scary part is both here and in the US (covid and politics) there's a large section who don't believe and won't accept when they lose the vote or are proven wrong.

Trump like Hitler dictates and if any hurtful / truthful remarks are put to him he just says its lies.
It happened here with the Brexit vote people willing to spend millions challenging the vote.
Now we have idiots not prepared to isolate or wear masks claiming its some nutmeg hierarchy superpower conspiracy theory boll#cks.
There's some guy who's made a tonne of money with conspiracy theories on social media especially YouTube.
So everytime (and I mean everytime) there's a major event he pops up with the usual bull crap arguing blacks white whites Black and people buy into it while he rakes it in.

People need to get real, there's a virus out there killing and we need to find a balance on controlling it and learning to live with it.

For me the answer doesn't lie in lockdown sadly that's been proven it doesn't work once we come out.

I personally feel we should be protecting those who it will affect the most. Most of the population have probably had it don't even know they've got it so let's concentrate all our efforts not in the schools and the younger generation but the old, vulnerable and those we know it can possibly hurt the most.

The youth of today know that on the whole their safe as age is on their side. Look at the video's from Saturday 100's playing cricket in Piccadilly. I went out Saturday 3 mates for a game of pool and social distancing was no were to be seen.
I also feel a vaccine flu type jab to prevent is our best bet. If we don't then I'm afraid the virus is here for the foreseeable future.
Good post , whilst I agree that lockdown may not be the answer , I dont think there is a better short term measure . As you say it all depends on getting a vaccine asap. To me there's nothing more frustrating than seeing so called "academics" protesting in London , without masks or distancing. All of em declaring that their "legitimate rights" are being eroded , but none of them can offer a solution. As for the nutjobs on social media calling for protest and quoting BS about government big brother crap. FFS, do they really think , the governments of virtually every civilised nation have banded to gether to deliberately ruin their own economies so they can control what the populace can and can't do ?
The last few days there's been a lot of numptys who have conspiracy theories and nonsense such as only 0.01% of people are dying from Covid but it's all irrelevant.

Lockdowns are here to protect the NHS and the number of people going into hospitals - it's nothing to do with people dying directly from Covid but from other diseases as well ,if you have no hospital beds then simply put , people die from anything regardless to how minor or major it is.

Below is the number of people in hospital in the UK weekly from Covid from the last 4 weeks:
9th October3,090
2nd October2,088
25th September1,622
18th September988

Comparing that week to week the number of hospitalisations is increasing by 1.4 - 1.6 roughly depending on the week. Notice that number before? There's your R number and if you compare the same stats round of the start of the lockdown it gives an increase of around 3, the number which was the R number then and compare any week for hospitalisations it matches up with the R number so it seems that's where it's coming from mainly.

Anyway to why we need a lockdown keeping at a trend of an R number of 1.5 which is the middle this is the numbers going forward and remember the NHS only has 100k beds for everyone in the UK for every treatment (excluding Nightingale but we don't have staff for that anyway).

16th October4,635
23rd October6,952
30th October10,429
6th November15,643
13th November23,464
20th November35,197
27th November52,795
4th December79,193
11th December118,789

At the current number we have 9 weeks until we're way over capacity and in serious trouble but just 5 weeks we're in a worse place than we've ever been in - the peak we ever got to in the first lockdown was 17k. This is if the R number stays at 1.5 and currently it's getting worse not better so will likely happen quicker than the above.

This is why's there's restrictions in place it's nothing do with the 0.01% rates, vendettas against pubs, Russian spys, 5G masts, Chinese taking over the world and whatever bs people come out with. Leave it a couple weeks and we'll be in full lockdown which tbh I think we will be over Halloween now anyway - it's always been rumoured.

Lockdowns work only by pausing the spread.
They don't do anything to stop the spread - as soon as lockdown is eased it carries on where it left off. Wasting a billion pounds a week while doing nothing to stop the virus is next to useless.
Other countries like Vietnam and lots of other Asian countries have practically eradicated it by testing and better tracing techniques. Their restaurant's and bars and economy are all doing very well and life continues normally for the vast majority. Backward countries like UK and USA aren't capable of organising anything along these lines and have gambled everything on a vaccine that may never materialise, so lockdowns will continue to cripple the economy for years to come until, bankrupt, we come to the conclusion that it's here permanently and instead of learning to control and live with it like hundreds of other countries, we have left it too late to put these strategies in place and by then there won't be enough money to do anything

Lockdowns work only by pausing the spread.
They don't do anything to stop the spread - as soon as lockdown is eased it carries on where it left off. Wasting a billion pounds a week while doing nothing to stop the virus is next to useless.
Other countries like Vietnam and lots of other Asian countries have practically eradicated it by testing and better tracing techniques. Their restaurant's and bars and economy are all doing very well and life continues normally for the vast majority. Backward countries like UK and USA aren't capable of organising anything along these lines and have gambled everything on a vaccine that may never materialise, so lockdowns will continue to cripple the economy for years to come until, bankrupt, we come to the conclusion that it's here permanently and instead of learning to control and live with it like hundreds of other countries, we have left it too late to put these strategies in place and by then there won't be enough money to do anything
So what's your solution then , given that we haven't got an adequate testing and tracing regime ? and according to figures , over 80% of people contacted and advised to self isolate, have been ignoring the call and carrying on as normal ?
I did say, "Lockdowns " probably don't work long term , but we have to try and protect the NHS , given what I have written in the previous paragraph.

I think people are ignoring the advice because they can see that the whole thing is shambolic and having two weeks off work every time someone farts in your direction on a bus was doomed to fail from day one.
You hit the nail on the head with your opening statement, we have no adequate testing/tracing system and they've had since January/February to get something up and running and are no nearer nine months later because it's too much like hard work. They'd rather throw money at it until it goes away but it's not going to go away. They're hoping and praying that a vaccine will save us but there's little possibility of this so we're knackered really. Another six months of furlough coming up, closely followed by a few weeks of summer and next September we'll begin another six month lock down until eventually Africans will be sending us food packages

Thats awful, best wishes to him and your family. What is the way forward in your opinion ?

Honestly mate I really have no idea.

As things are changing literally on a daily basis.

What has been implemented like track and trace ain't working. Some people ignoring rules with no mask wearing despite the consequence of fines who knows any more.

Even the threat of prison time don't think would work where large amounts of people are ignoring such rules. You can't full prisons with covid rule breakers.

They keep banging on about a vaccine being close but will need major testing which will take years to find out if it's effective or not. We still haven't a vaccine for other viruses and diseases and sadly I don't think we will for this virus.

Following rules every day when your out and about and protecting yourself and others can only help suppress the virus imo. But a lot don't give a toss so things will just be status quo.

Just announced they putting 4x Nightingale Hospital Units on standby , second wave coming big style.

Honestly mate I really have no idea.

As things are changing literally on a daily basis.

What has been implemented like track and trace ain't working. Some people ignoring rules with no mask wearing despite the consequence of fines who knows any more.

Even the threat of prison time don't think would work where large amounts of people are ignoring such rules. You can't full prisons with covid rule breakers.

They keep banging on about a vaccine being close but will need major testing which will take years to find out if it's effective or not. We still haven't a vaccine for other viruses and diseases and sadly I don't think we will for this virus.

Following rules every day when your out and about and protecting yourself and others can only help suppress the virus imo. But a lot don't give a toss so things will just be status quo.
Its a shame we couldn't take ID's from all of these "KARENS" , marching every weekend in London ignoring public safety guidelines and then if any of em catch it , they can be refused hospital care. Just a thought.

Although someone on here claimed 1000's have reportly caught covid twice (as it stands not true) its still super rare with only a couple of cases worldwide.

But , lets hope its not of things to come:
Covid reinfection: Man gets Covid twice and second hit 'more severe'
And its worse 2nd time round. Those labs better get their heads together and find a vaccine to prevent it asap or:

"Captain Mainwaring, Were doomed !!!"
The government and Labour are using it as a political tool.
Northern Commy city mayors are having their arses kicked by tories for not enforcing restrictions and allowing it to spread.
Now all pubs are closed, will the knuckledragging labour voters blame their bolshy overlords? Nope they'll blame conservatives

It will all end in tiers.

Back