Disgusted today...

I agree with some of what you have said mate.

Alot of local shops around the country are of this races and background and should be treated with respect irrespective of how they are making money and taking advantage of people in this climate.

Its not about the colour of the skin its about those who are taking advantage of people and how they are going about it. Whether they are black, brown, white, pink, orange should not be looked at imo.

I have few local shops near me. One is romanian and a few others are asian. Nice people tbh, can have a chat to them and they can speak english. Even if they couldnt speak english wouldnt bother me at all.

Seen alot of hate towards asian people from certain groups out there. Blaming it on them the virus that has spread. Hate just seems to take over people and its just not on. Trying to blame the virus on people who are difference race and ethnicity to that other person is just f*cked up and seems certain people will exploit that situation as "normal"

I agree, but the OP's second sentence of "There were no eggs, bread, nappies, hand sanitizer, milk etc because they had all been bought by non English speaking convenience store shopkeepers." implies that it is just somehow a certain group of people responsible for the appalling behavior we are seeing right now. Yes it is a certain group of people and they are called C*NTS, they come in all colours and speak many lanaguages.

I haven't noticed price hikes in my local shops and they seem to have stock unlike supermarkets. They have always been a higher price on none priced products but nothing dramatic and understandable as they can't compete at supermarket prices.

It's idiots online on Facebook, Ebay etc that are buying in bulk and charging ridicules prices.

I've read loads of posts like this across the internet and it's disgusting that people are profiting to such levels I agree. Whether they are talking about Booker, Costco or Makro or any other wholesaler. Having said that these "non English speaking" individuals (keen to
see your proof of this other than your ignorant assumption, English might not be their first language but that doesn't mean they can't speak it) have a businesses to run. Some people rely heavily on these small shops. The only place I have managed to get any bread and milk this week has been from my small independent "Euro" market (no inflated pricing). It's actually run by a nice Polish guy, rarely speaks English but certainly can if he wanted to.

Your comments are offensive I've seen plenty of white/brown/black english speaking people take advantage of current climates. Unfortunately, this isn't about ethnicity or race the people taking advantage are awful regardless. This entire situation is bringing out the worst in people and it's clearly brought out some of your $hittyness. It's funny whenever $hit hits the fan people look to blame or moan at those who are different to themselves.

I'm disgusted by your thread more than the "non English speaking convenience store shopkeepers" behaviour.

Best post ive read in years on this forum. you my mate speak the truth!

prices should be allowed to rise

when people shame others who have sourced supply and are increasing prices they are laying the foundations for severe shortages.

when someone is willing to pay £4.50 for a carton of eggs they must value the eggs MORE than they value the £4.50 in their pocket and they must value the eggs MORE than the next thing they would spend that money on, say chocolate.

the shop down the road may have never put prices up, but they have no eggs. if the profiteering [strange to expect shops to be anything other, but hey ho] shop held it's prices then they would have no eggs. the cost would essentially be inifinate: bill gates cannot afford eggs at shops with empty shelves.

when the price hits £4.50 people who would have bought extra eggs @ 3.50 now do not buy them, as they would prefer chocolate to £4.50 eggs. but the chap with a couple of kids and no eggs can, if he chooses, to buy the eggs. he values the eggs more than others, so he should get them

if there was a way of communicating to others our need or valuation then things would be simple. there'd be a screen saying teddybloat really needs eggs, his need is 10/10. mr full shelves would see the sign and say 'i only have moderate need for eggs, 8/10, so i'll leave them on the shelves for teddy'

the beauty of the price mechanism is that it communicates that. mr full shelf wont pay £4.50, so he leaves the eggs. i will, so i take them

mess with the price mechanism at your peril.

a telling story from a town hit by a hurricane:

raliegh, an isolated californian town, was hit by a hurricane in sept 96. the power went down, the trees cut off the roads and people's freezers started to thaw. some had food in there. others beer. some had insulin and baby formula. no contact no sign of help, and the shops empty of ice within hours. the temp on the ground was now 92 degrees.

raleigh had strict anti gouging laws enforced by california. so no suppliers from neighbouring towns were bothering to try to get through the destruction as they would likely make a loss on the delivery, if they could get through at all.

a bunch of rednecks saw an opportunity. they hired a refrigerated van and chainsaws. cleared the main roads and set up stall on the corner of a main street. people queued around the block. $12 was the price and people were outraged. yet they queued and bought the ice. someone called the police and the rednecks were arrested. people cheered. the police impounded the van and the town went back to having no ice.

now imagine you needed that ice for insulin or your baby. you'd pay $100 for ice. and here is someone selling it for $12. a huge mark up on a $2 bag. but when that van was impounded the price went back up to infinity. whats more when word spread you'd be arrested and have your van impounded - no more supply. if they were allowed to sell likely word spreads and more entrepreneurial rednecks hire vans and competition drives down price.

mike munger who tells the story ends with this quote:

And now we are back to where I started: the citizens, the prospective buyers being denied a chance to buy ice… they clapped. Clapped, cheered, and hooted, as the vicious ice sellers were handcuffed and arrested. Some of those buyers had been standing in line for five minutes or more, and had been ready to pay 4 times as much as the maximum price the state would allow. And they clapped as the police, at gunpoint, took that opportunity away from them.

increased price does two things : allocates goods to their highest value use. and encourages more supply.

don't **** with it.

don't shame people who increase prices, we all lose out

Last edited:
I will not use any local convenience store there all thieving bar stewards virus or not, the only plus side to them is if your a smoker where there all knocking out cheap cigs.I am in the town center so super markets are everywhere and plenty of choice.I called in a shell garage today for petrol and they where chargeing 9.99 for a box of disposable gloves,the same b&m where knocking out for £2 a few week back what i used to keep the gloss off my hands when painting the house.

did you buy the gloves, mr pie?

or did you leave them on the shelves for someone who does value them more than a £10 note and other things it could buy?

you haven't lost out. crucially neither has the person who really needs them

Hope things are ok, & not as bad I have been reading. Lucy (daaughter)emailed me earlier, she said mum came home last night crying..

I asked what was wrong, as caron didnt say anything this morning after my shift..
Caron helps out in a food bank, every Wednesday afternoon..
By 2.00pm yesterday the food bank ran out of food,
There were a couple of older generation people who simply couldnt find essentials . So caron drove 20 miles with the couple to find a store that would help this couple with basics.. caron came home exhausted and upset..
I am so annoyed, greedy feckers.
The shop caron found supplies was Asian..

Hope things are ok, & not as bad I have been reading. Lucy (daaughter)emailed me earlier, she said mum came home last night crying..

I asked what was wrong, as caron didnt say anything this morning after my shift..
Caron helps out in a food bank, every Wednesday afternoon..
By 2.00pm yesterday the food bank ran out of food,
There were a couple of older generation people who simply couldnt find essentials . So caron drove 20 miles with the couple to find a store that would help this couple with basics.. caron came home exhausted and upset..
I am so annoyed, greedy feckers.
The shop caron found supplies was Asian..

to me corner shops are providing a valuable service.

big stores are a no no for many people. they are too far away and as the prices are not moving the shelves are bare. some are offering early morning shopping for the elderly, but before people can use bus passes.

i have enough tinned goods and toilet paper for the next week. i don't have pasta but would rather wait than pay corner shop prices.

but for someone who cannot get to the supermarkets the fact that corner shops are more expensive andi am not going near them helps them. if only people who value goods more than i do are using them, and they are the only places with goods on shelves then that is a valuable service.

shame them into selling you toilet paper at supermarket prices and guess what - empty shelves and people who need stuff the most face an infinite price point again

Have you heard about how much them "Asians" over at Jhoots pharmacy are charging for Calpol and Paracetamol? Wonder if the CEO can speak English? If he does speak English does that make him a better or worse human being?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200319-223057_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200319-223057_Chrome.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 19
This thread has taken a complete uturn.

It actually has become an entertaining read lol.

I get where @mbath and @grog68 are coming from I thought I had "friends" but in fact I knew people who had racial and prejudicial views about people from my group of ethnicity.

They used to hang around with me quite a bit and alot of time used to say when I was with them "sorry dont take it personally" and then went on about how foreigners were taking over the country and were bringing terrorism in the country.

From that day onwards I knew friends are not really friends and that true friends are hard to come by.

There has been an amount of skirting the original issue (even though in my opinion, it was poorly worded and seemed very close to racism). Can we please stay away from that side of it and more aim at the real issue which is profiteering.

Thank you.

Speaking of local shops they have bread and milk which is like gold at the minute.

Mind you I prefer my Cravendale best milk imo which they dont sell.

I think we can all agree that those profiteering from this crisis are simply awful people regardless of anything else

Like it everywhere no soon as they see a margin for profit they make it happen it was put to dorris Johnson about retailers/cash and carry adding prices on but you will get some people that will be daft enough to pay the prices

People are stupid for paying such high prices but if desperate they will resort to it.

Get businesses/companies got to make profit but not profit with jacking up prices to no end where there is tragedies in the midst of a crisis.

How can there me moral justification for that?

Back