Disgusted today...

People are stupid for paying such high prices but if desperate they will resort to it.

Get businesses/companies got to make profit but not profit with jacking up prices to no end where there is tragedies in the midst of a crisis.

How can there me moral justification for that?

It's getting stuff to the people who need it most.

How much does a toilet roll cost in a shop that has no toilet rolls?

If prices were allowed to float then we'd see plenty of stuff on the shelves and, ironically, fewer people able to charge the more extreme prices.

Prices simply gather information.

I value essential good X at £1. You have more need and value it at £2.

Who should get it? You should.

But at an enforced 0.75p price point neither of us get it as people stockpile it.

If the price was £1.10 I'd leave it in the shelf and you would be happy to pay for it.

How is that less moral?

Note when you buy something at any price it is because you value it more than both the money in your pocket and the next best thing you can buy with it.

So people aren't stupid for paying high prices.

Say something costs £1.

And you value it at £1.50

You are 50p better off when you purchase that good. This is consumer surplus.

At the moment some things are more valuable to people. A man with 4 girls and a wife may value toilet roll at £20 per pack no he's down to his last roll and shops have none. If he sees toilet roll on sale for 18 quid is he a mug for paying it?

No he's £2 better off.

I went to my butchers for a T-bone steak, they were £5 each but he'd run out.
I went over the road and asked that butcher for a T-bone, he charged me £8.
I said to him, 'the butchers over the road sells them for a fiver but he has none in'.
He replied, 'when I've got none in they're only £3'

I get the supply demand issue but what about people who don’t have much money to spend on essentials compared to others who can happily throw £20 at bog roll.

Does that mean the richer person ‘needed it most’?

To ignore there’s a greed element here is a bit silly.

Again how much is toilet roll in an empty shop? Are you worse off in a world where you have the choice of the higher priced item or in a world of empty shelves. Thinki of the town of Raleigh that cheered as the only ice in town was taken from them at gun point.

If you have ample supply why would you pay the higher price when there is plenty on the shelves and the price is fluctuating.?

You simply would not see the extreme prices as there would not be empty shelves. The £20 bog roll only exists in a world where 99% of shops cannot let prices rise 20-30 %

The current shortages are not down to supply. They are due to demand and people having garages full of cheap toilet rolls.

The demand was ramped up by the first empty shelves. A terrible snowball effect. If demand was quelled early on people don't panic buy as they do not see empty stores. There is no snowball effect

The current shortages are not down to supply. They are due to demand and people having garages full of cheap toilet rolls.

The demand was ramped up by the first empty shelves. A terrible snowball effect. If demand was quelled early on people don't panic buy as they do not see empty stores. There is no snowball effect

That demand is created by selfish people storing tons of bog roll in the first place.

What about old doris down the road who struggles to even leave the house, is on state pension and when she gets to the shop is faced with that issue. Pure selfishness created it and that’s what we’re faced with now.

Inflate prices massively to make sure the people who really need things get them??? What absolute twaddle :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Sell everybody a limited amount of each product that's in demand and everybody who needs it will get it - there aren't shortages on the whole, just restocking issues.

If a young single Mother can't afford to pay 5 times the usual price of a tin of baby milk formula, by your logic she doesn't need it as much as a well off professional couple who send their Nanny out to buy as much as she can lay her hands on, regardless of the cost. Every baby needs milk and the inflated price prevents the poorest from being able to enter the market to buy it.

Inflate prices massively to make sure the people who really need things get them??? What absolute twaddle :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Sell everybody a limited amount of each product that's in demand and everybody who needs it will get it - there aren't shortages on the whole, just restocking issues.

If a young single Mother can't afford to pay 5 times the usual price of a tin of baby milk formula, by your logic she doesn't need it as much as a well off professional couple who send their Nanny out to buy as much as she can lay her hands on, regardless of the cost. Every baby needs milk and the inflated price prevents the poorest from being able to enter the market to buy it.

You don't need to inflate prices massively, indeed that can only happen when there have been empty shelves everywhere. When prices remain low people return multiple times, go to multiple shops, bribe, cheat etc etc. And those measure often come after the fact. The snowball negative feedback loop has started.

When prices adjust, you don't see shortages or massively high prices, especially when there are no supply issues, merely excessive demand (caused ironically by high demand meeting unchanging prices)

As for this:

A young single Mother can't afford to pay 5 times the usual price of a tin of baby milk formula, by your logic she doesn't need it as much as a well off professional couple....

Well how is that working out for her at the moment? Price tags show a great price, but there is no supply in shelves. The price may as well by £1,000,000 per tin.

Actually there is supply but it's locked up in people's garages and sheds. If people where allowed to profit without stigma they'd be very incentivised turn that back into supply.

If supermarkets were allowed to modestly increase prices there would be less stock in sheds and there would be no problem.

Say baby milk costs £1 per tin.

The couple value the milk at £1.50. they already have ample but at £1 they are 50p better off buying the extra milk.

The woman with none likely values that pack at £20-30 maybe more. She should get the next tin sold.

Currently she won't as people who value it at £1.50 have stripped the shelves. If the price rose to £1.51 that would not happen.

This is pretty basic stuff.

By all means get morally outraged and shame people, but know you are sending the effective price all the way up to infinity.

That hasn’t answered the question of the poor at all. I’ve seen it with my own eyes this week, working class people hoarding and elderly people struggling to get anything.

In my opinion and many others that’s morally wrong.

That hasn’t answered the question of the poor at all. I’ve seen it with my own eyes this week, working class people hoarding and elderly people struggling to get anything.

In my opinion and many others that’s morally wrong.
Food banks without food ?
Children who go to breakfast clubs, some instances, it's the only meal they will eat for an entire day. Measures are been implemented to help, but it's sad.

Last edited:
Poor always end up suffering. Can bet rich are living it a large during the crisis. They have nothing to worry about when it comes to supplies.

People seemingly have money to burn if they are naive enough to pay such extortionate prices being set by smaller shops. Supermarkets are not doing this they are keeping it fair with pricing.

But stupid idiots are hoarding all the essential products for them self instead of taking what they need.

Really you need whole trolley full of toilet roll and hand sanitiser. Really.

There has been an amount of skirting the original issue (even though in my opinion, it was poorly worded and seemed very close to racism). Can we please stay away from that side of it and more aim at the real issue which is profiteering.
Thank you.

So how has your brain jumped from non English speaking convenience store shopkeepers to racism. :unsure:
They could be French, German, Italian, or Polish convenience store shopkeepers who don't speak English and are the same race as me. It was skillfully worded to avoid what race or Ethnicity they were. :love:

So how has your brain jumped from non English speaking convenience store shopkeepers to racism. :unsure:
They could be French, German, Italian, or Polish convenience store shopkeepers who don't speak English and are the same race as me. It was skillfully worded to avoid what race or Ethnicity they were. :love:
You can be racist against French, germans etc. Even the Irish (and I experienced this myself in Birmingham in the 90's) so your point is moot.

I have said what I said and it stands from several of yours and mbaths posts which I removed, trust me on this, there will only be one winner, so please don't argue with me.

In my opinion, your 'skillfully worded' post was nothing of the sort, and guess what? - on this, my opinion is the only one that counts.

A lot of your threads would seem, to me at least, be set up to cause a row, and I won't (nor will the TK team as a whole) allow people to sow discord and acrimony around here. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum on the net, full of useful, helpful, and friendly information and members, and we will do our utmost to defend that position.

MESSAGE TO ALL - PLAY NICELY, OR PLAY ELSEWHERE!!
We all like a spirited debate, but let's not allow it to become personal, bigoted, or unfriendly!

Last edited:
In my original post I maybe did not emphasise what happened. The shopkeepers took every single item of the following from a store bigger than a football field. None of these were left:
Eggs, bread, nappies, hand sanitizer, milk.

In a co-ordinated move nothing was left.

@wheelo feck those c*nts from brum town not all are like that lol.

Trust me I know how it feels mate when you get racist abuse due to a handful of dumb asses for what they did.

Wheelo-1 basejumper - 0 lmfao off subject did you see on news lastnight that nurses outrage at all panic buying and very emotional cause she couldn't get essentials she needed
Baz, I absolutely did, it is disgusting that those who are working extremely long shifts under enormous pressure cant, at the end of their shift just go to their local Tesco or whoever, and pick up the few bits they need.
Stuss told a story about two OAP's who resorted to a food bank because they couldn't get anything in the shops, but the food bank had run out.
Stuss's wife did a 20 mile round trip to get them their few bits

Disgusting behaviour by some selfish ..?...(insert any expletives you prefer) emptying shelves with no thoughts for others. Many supermarkets over here open the stores to a 2 hour OAP ONLY session. The logic being that the shelves have been restocked overnight, so they have the pick of things, then the over shoppers can come in - and repeat. Bravo, I say.

@wheelo feck those c*nts from brum town not all are like that lol.

Trust me I know how it feels mate when you get racist abuse due to a handful of dumb asses for what they did.
It was Handsworth/West Bromwich, early 90's - I got over it, but I appreciate your sentiments.

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish
Was very common in the whole UK in the 70's.

Convenience stores are a major part of our country. There are no trading restrictions on the opening hours of shops under 280 sq m. They may be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Christmas Day and Easter Sunday. That is why all supermarkets are closed on those days - they are too big.

The British people love them, but it is the British people who are now being robbed by some of them and there will be a backlash to the ones who are profiteering I hope. :love:

@wheelo not been around west brom and handsworth area for some years.

But when I was down handsworth it was quite a multi cultural area than ever before.

Know there were riots in that area quite a few years ago.

Baz, I absolutely did, it is disgusting that those who are working extremely long shifts under enormous pressure cant, at the end of their shift just go to their local Tesco or whoever, and pick up the few bits they need.
Stuss told a story about two OAP's who resorted to a food bank because they couldn't get anything in the shops, but the food bank had run out.
Stuss's wife did a 20 mile round trip to get them their few bits

Disgusting behaviour by some selfish ..?...(insert any expletives you prefer) emptying shelves with no thoughts for others. Many supermarkets over here open the stores to a 2 hour OAP ONLY session. The logic being that the shelves have been restocked overnight, so they have the pick of things, then the over shoppers can come in - and repeat. Bravo, I say.

It was Handsworth/West Bromwich, early 90's - I got over it, but I appreciate your sentiments.

No blacks
No dogs
No Irish
Was very common in the whole UK in the 70's.
Completely agree its fekkin disgusting what the majority of the public is doing especially when people have come off long hours and need a few essentials and stuss told me about what caron did which was an incredible thing to do all supermarkets need to change their times of opening to accommodate NHS/long houred workers and especially the elderly folk

Last edited:
Completely agree its fekkin disgusting what the majority of the public is doing especially when people have come off long hours and need a few essentials and stuss told me about what caron did which was an incredible thing to do all supermarkets need to change their times of opening to accommodate NHS/long houred workers and especially the elderly folk

They have done baz where I am Tesco now open from 7am - 9am for nhs staff and elderly.

Back