Ebay advice needed

christara

Hi,a folk
Looking for any advice on my situation.
I sold an item on ebay and delivery of the item reached the person on the date 23rd of november 2020. (Tracking provided that info?)
Now after some time the buyer as posted saying its not working (When I know it was) and filed a refund on the 7 Jan 2021.
I have refused the request and are now awaiting on any info from ebay or the buyer coming back.
Am a little worried on the situation I find myself in and any info from anyone will be appreciated.

just had a quick look on eBay and I can’t see anything mentioned length of time to return something , you have to respond within 3 days though. Was it a new or used item , did you accept returns ? I would say due to the length of time involved you would be ok to refuse a refund if it’s a used item. Follow the procedure , let them take it to eBay .

eBay and PayPal are a bit of a pain for a seller and great for a buyer,They will side with the buyer 9 times out of 10.ideally you should of made a video of it all working for proof,Myself I would not sell anything on Ebay or Amazon that involves PayPal,stick to the free ads and cash payments.

Have you proof it was working in case its a con,or damaged in transit?
No sorry, Just our word for it. :( But the item is sold as used item and believe it not its a vintage game which is approx 30 years old. 1991

just had a quick look on eBay and I can’t see anything mentioned length of time to return something , you have to respond within 3 days though. Was it a new or used item , did you accept returns ? I would say due to the length of time involved you would be ok to refuse a refund if it’s a used item. Follow the procedure , let them take it to eBay .
Yes I have refused the request for a refund and leaving it to ebay to get back in touch?
The item in question is a used item. and I also had in the payment and postage quote "The seller won't accept returns for this item."

eBay and PayPal are a bit of a pain for a seller and great for a buyer,They will side with the buyer 9 times out of 10.ideally you should of made a video of it all working for proof,Myself I would not sell anything on Ebay or Amazon that involves PayPal,stick to the free ads and cash payments.

Yeah am begining to think the same. :)

I'm not sure of this info but working on past experience! If the buyer used PayPal and 30 days have expired on eBay, PayPal will refund up to 90 days from purchase date if the buyer can't get refund from seller! PayPal will take this hit not the seller as part of there conditions!

I'm not sure of this info but working on past experience! If the buyer used PayPal and 30 days have expired on eBay, PayPal will refund up to 90 days from purchase date if the buyer can't get refund from seller! PayPal will take this hit not the seller as part of there conditions!

Fingers crossed that works in my favour. Thanks.

Found some info out, if it doesn,t help me maybe it will help others who browse this post?

Am I protected when selling with PayPal?

What are the PayPal time limits?​

A buyer must open a dispute via the PayPal Resolution Centre within 180 days of making the payment. This is an extension of the 45 days which it was previously. Buyers are encouraged to deal directly with sellers to resolve the dispute.

If a resolution can't be found, the buyer can escalate the complaint - but only within 20 days of opening the dispute. Otherwise, PayPal will close the dispute and the buyer won't be eligible for reimbursement.

During the claims process, PayPal may require documentation to support your position, such as proof of postage and delivery.

Once a dispute is escalated, PayPal will - after surveying the evidence - make a decision in favour of the buyer or seller.

If you've followed all the requirements for your sale to be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection, it's unlikely that you'll lose out.

Thats the worst thing about ebay is them using paypal.

Ebay will generally 9 times out of 10 will always favour the buyer even where the buyer is a lying scum bag. Trust me I know I have been screwed over by both ebay and paypal a few times last few years with few things I sold.

Paypals 180 day to open a case is just open to scams sadly and again paypal will more often than not favour the buyer if you dont have valid proof/evidence.

Hi,a folk
Looking for any advice on my situation.
I sold an item on ebay and delivery of the item reached the person on the date 23rd of november 2020. (Tracking provided that info?)
Now after some time the buyer as posted saying its not working (When I know it was) and filed a refund on the 7 Jan 2021.
I have refused the request and are now awaiting on any info from ebay or the buyer coming back.
Am a little worried on the situation I find myself in and any info from anyone will be appreciated.
Since 2002 I have been a private eBay seller (not a business) selling new/used items, and always accept return of any item - for any reason or none - for a no-quibble refund within 30 days (flexible). I accept returns for refund if the buyer changes their mind or just doesn't like the item. I offer refunds on low cost items that fail, and partial refunds if a spare part such as power supply fails. Unwanted buyers can be blocked from further purchases. My policy is to provide excellent customer sservice and keep the buyer happy. Have now completed over 1k sales all with positive feedback. My best-selling items are refurbished Zgemma boxes and I have many repeat buyers.

Last edited:
Did they leave you any feedback ? - if it was 'good', they now can't say item was faulty

============

I doubt the link provided by 'liamt' applies to second hand items bought from Ebay

So does anyone have any advice as to what is a better option than PayPal for paying for items and accepting payments for items? All opinions greatly received!

Just getting a little confused on info being given.

Going to clear up some info so it might help in the info am getting.
The item in question was a 2nd hand item USED, Am not a big seller its my fifth item I,ve sold since joining in 2013
Am not a retailor it was just an item we didn,t use anymore.
The item in question was a game from 1991 sold as vintage, used and gave a good description.
No feedback was given, But an PM from the buyer asking if it work ok. Which I replied it was fine, Well before purchase.
The item sold on 16 Nov 2020, delivered on 23rd Nov 2020.
Its now 7 Jan 2021 and its took this long for a refund to be asked for, Now if I bought something 2nd hand or used I would of checked it to make sure its fine.
I got an PM from the buyer saying it was for a christmas present for there farther and then even then its a further two weeks to put in for a refund.
I just feel like am being played, Anyway I refused refund and left it upto ebay who am sure will intervene at some point and take it from there.
I just feel its taken such a long time to complain I just think the party involved are just wanting a refund for whatever reason and am sure if was for a present for someone am sure am not the only person who would of checked something with it being 2nd hand/used?

Back