EUAFA CLAMPING DOWN WITH CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

bazcfc1

VIP Member
Kodi crackdown will see millions of Champions League fans blocked from watching tonight
The Champions League round of 16 gets underway tonight, with a string of English clubs still competing for the trophy
A crackdown on top-set box Kodi will see millions of football fans who illegally attempt to live-stream matches blocked from viewing.

firestick.jpg

But to combat illegal viewers, UEFA has created a new block and is implementing it tonight.

It aims to stop matches being to beamed to TV Players, such as Kodi, without permission.

FC Basel v Man City and Juventus v Tottenham Hotspur, matches scheduled for 7.45pm kick-offs tonight, will be the first affected.

"The Uefa competitions are very popular with television viewers in the UK. This year's Champions League final attracted several million viewers," the court ruling warned.

PROD-Man-watching-football-on-television.jpg

"Uefa's evidence establishes that it owns the copyright in television broadcasts of all matches in the Uefa competitions, and in films (particularly replays), artistic works and musical works which are incorporated within those broadcasts."

"The rights are very valuable.

"BT currently pays approximately £360 million each season for these rights together with the rights in respect of the Uefa Super Cup."

Kodi app launched on XBOX One - how to use it and what you need to know

Detective Sergeant Kevin Ives, from the City of London Police’s Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU), added: “Now that the Premier League and UEFA have both secured high court blocking orders allowing them to shut off illegal streams at source, it has made it more difficult for the public to find illegal streams of premium sport online.

“This is just one of many developments that have made it much more difficult for those who try to watch sport illegally online.

"Consumers are putting themselves at unnecessary risk of fraud by purchasing and using illegal streaming boxes, even more so if the content they try and watch is being effectively blocked.”

JS95605047.jpg

(Image: Daniel Law/PA Wire)
Thousands are turning to Kodi for their streaming of sport, TV and films.

The boxes have proved a huge hit with people desperate to watch PPV events, movies - and even the top football matches of the week, on the cheap.

But, worryingly for users, a trader is being hauled to court in a landmark case over their legality.

And many are wondering if the boxes will be legal for much longer.

It turns out there is confusion surrounding the legality of selling the devices, and it depends how they're used, GazetteLivereports.

Is Kodi legal now?
It’s a big grey area.

The confusion around the legality of the boxes is so great that it could take a court case involving Middlesbrough resident Brian Thompson to help settle it.

Mr Thompson is thought to be the first man brought to court to face allegations of selling pre-loaded Kodi or Android boxes.

The boxes themselves are, effectively, legal.

But realistically, the only reason you would ever want one is it if was bought either pre-loaded or altered in order to watch PPV content.

This content can range from Sky Sports to films currently in the cinema.

That, claims prosecutors, is illegal.

amazon-fire.jpg

(Image: Martyn Landi/PA Wire)
The increased use of Kodi-style boxes are sparking a crackdown from a variety of organisations, the FA and TV bosses are keen to stamp it out as quick as possible.

The widespread emergence of Kodi - or certainly those who use it illegally - is now the top priority for rights-holders, it has emerged.

The boxes have proved a huge hit with people desperate to watch PPV events, movies - and even the top football matches of the week, on the cheap.

Many are selling "fully loaded" boxes, which come pre-packed with these additional apps and their popularity is causing concern for UK authorities.

The Kodi software itself is not illegal, nor is it illegal to sell devices with Kodi pre-installed on them.

However, many of these Kodi devices come pre-loaded with third party plug-ins and add-ons that allow users to stream pirated content to their TV.

Selling these "fully loaded" TV set-top devices is a breach of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988.

Kodi has moved to assuage fears among its customers that the service will be blocking apps which lets them view material for free.

Kieron Sharp, FACT Chief Executive, told the Express: "You'll be aware of the Premier League case which has led to the blocking of streams by ISPs.

"With these in place what you'll find is the effectiveness of the add-ons within the boxes is being affected and there could be more in the way of blocks in the future.

"We also know the government is consulting on changes in the law around this type of activity.

"It's high up on their agenda and I think they realise this is an important issue.”

"I can see quite an escalation and a response from government that's going to compliment the measures that a lot of people across the industry are doing.

"There's a lot happening and the landscape will look quite a bit different over the next 12 months."

Gettin beyond a joke now with legalities around watching football ffs and the sale of kodi streaming boxes its like saying you cant buy a car because if it goes more than 70mph on motorway your breaking the law aswell so we will have to ban the sale of cars aswell makes my blood boil ffs

'Propaganda and scaremongering' a typical tactic when a law is almost impossible to police. This press release is intended to frighten the majority of potential 'illegal viewers' from investing in a streaming box and it will work. The details will become distorted as they are passed around and before you know it someone in the pub will know a man who has been arrested for watching 'Champions League' on a kodi box!! I recall many years ago my local trading standards put it out in the local newspaper that people buying copy DVD's and CD's were helping fund the IRA!! - RUBBISH!!

The real criminals are sly with there ridiculous sub prices it’s not the consumers fault their paying stupid money for the premier league rights which is re-couped with the constant price hikes, maybe the government should be clamping down on them, if prices were more affordable then maybe so many people wouldn’t be forced to look for cheaper alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gettin beyond a joke now with legalities around watching football ffs and the sale of kodi streaming boxes

Of course they'regoing to try protect their product. What do you expect ghem to do?
It's illegal streaming - plain and simple. We are all part of the underworld that watches pirated TV, and we have to accept the challenges that TV companies, and football governing bodies put in front of us!

Of course they'regoing to try protect their product. What do you expect ghem to do?
It's illegal streaming - plain and simple. We are all part of the underworld that watches pirated TV, and we have to accept the challenges that TV companies, and football governing bodies put in front of us!
Yes, agreed, according to the law that defends the rights of multi national corporations against the football fan on £7.50 an hour (in April going to £7.83 - great!) it is illegal........but 'THEY' know it is impossible to stop us. At best, they hope to keep unauthorised streaming to a minimum i.e. to those people who are prepared to be 'inventive in the technology by which they view their sport' and once again, yes enjoy a challenge!

The real criminals are sly with there ridiculous sub prices it’s not the consumers fault their paying stupid money for the premier league rights which is re-couped with the constant price hikes, maybe the government should be clamping down on them, if prices were more affordable then maybe so many people wouldn’t be forced to look for cheaper alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and how is supply and demand a criminal offence.?
if nobody paid stupid subs to watch 'their' team, then no-one would pay stupid money for the rights to charge you to watch them,
go watch pub league football, its generally free to watch, even LIVE at the ground
its the supporters that support the prices the clubs and TV companies charge, no one to blamer but the supporters themselves,
how much is a T shirt worth, especially if it has someone elses advert on it,?
if someone wants me to advertise something for them, they pay me, I DONT pay them,,,,, common commercial sense that a lot of people dont really grasp, yet football supporters the world over pay ridiculous sums to advertise someone elses product

Back