Flash VIX via command line from the creators GrogBuild FreeRange - Leading the way to simplicity

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
as a spin off from http://www.techkings.org/threads/fl...eerange-leading-the-way-to-simplicity.144717/ I've now put together a little script to flash open vix from the command line.

Please note this will only work for officially supported boxes and as long as the Vix team don't change the html code in their web pages where the script gets the brand and box names from.

Ever done a software update and found the box won't boot?

Ever turn your box on and found it only boots up so far?

Every tried to flash online to flash online and found that your build is so old you don't have the option to flash the latest version of VIX via the Flash Online system?

Ever wanted to flash your box but have not got another spare USB stick?

Well I've now got a simple solution for you. It will find the latest nightly build of the current stable ATV and then flash your box. All you need is :

your existing USB/HDD mounted on /media/hdd, this should be the case for recordings etc, you do not need any additional usb stick formatted fat32

you need to be able to connect to your box via putty (or any other shell terminal program) or the openwebif terminal.

This tool does NOT backup your settings so make sure you do (if you can) before using.

SSH to your box using a terminal program such as putty, or using the terminal option of openWebIf in your browser and log in using the username root

Now paste all the code below into the terminal window. (right click on the terminal window to paste)

Code:
wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc2cdr116lvx3dj/install_vix.sh?dl=1 && bash install_vix.sh

after a few seconds you will be asked to select the brand of your box by entering the number next to the brand of your box, you will then be asked to select the actual box you are flashing from another list, again enter the number next to your box.

Now you are prompted which partition you want flashed, this is for boxes with multiboot, if you don't use multiboot or your box doesn't have multiboot facilities just hit the enter key, if you are using multiboot enter the partition number and then press enter key. (Thanks to @Willo3092 for suggesting and testing Multiboot flashing)

The latest stable build will then be downloaded to /media/hdd and your box flashed.

I am sure this will be copied, made into a plugin of some kind or added to another build but remember you saw it here first :)

in the script where it runs the ofgwrite command whats the option it takes?
ofgwrite -r -k root_cfe_auto.bin kernel_cfe_auto.bin

is that the command it actually runs?

if you google ofgwrite you should find a list of all the options, -k is kernel, -r is rootfs it also uses -m if on a multiboot box.

Please forgive me as the script probably needs updating with some new box and also paths to vix image that have changed recently, I've just not got around to doing it yet

@grog68 8, is there a way to flash by your script if current image is PLI?
I don't know to be honest, never used PLI, would just need to know how to detect box model so it can determine the image to fetch
Nice work grog and are you seeing the light and coming over to the vix gang ??
No it;s too dark over there mate, I like using ATV as it gives me something to moan about when they release their dodgy updates LOL

sorry to but into thread , but is vix better than openatv ?
thanx
It's personal preference, but NO is the answer to your question

Hi, I have flashed my Solo2 with the latest openatv using the terminal and script as below. But, I have tried to do the same for my H2s but I have encountered a problem with the rootfs is full and won't load the tools to fix the USB formatting problem. The coding as follows:

opkg update && opkg install dosfstools # to install the FAT file-system formatting tools

umount /dev/ sda1 # unmounting the USB storage device
mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sda1 # usage of the FAT32 formatting tool
mkdir -p /media/myusb # make a temporary dir
mount /dev/sda1 /media/myusb # mount the USB storage device again to this temporary dir

wget -O /media/myusb/ openatv-6.4-zgemmah2s-20201128_usb.zip --no-check-certificate " http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/nightly/zgemmah2s/openatv-6.4-zgemmah2s-20201206_usb.zip"
unzip /media/myusb/ openatv-6.4-zgemmah2s-20201206_usb.zip -d /media/myusb
rm -f /media/myusb/ openatv-6.4-zgemmah2s-20201206_usb.zip

reboot

I get a failure for this code as:

zgemmah2s login: root
root@zgemmah2s:~# opkg update && opkg install util-linux-fdisk
Collected errors:
* opkg_lock: Could not create lock file /run/opkg.lock: No space left on device

Looking at the memory using df command I get:

root@zgemmah2s:~# df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

ubi0:rootfs 222144 222136 8 100% /

devtmpfs 156140 4 156136 0% /dev

tmpfs 64 0 64 0% /media

tmpfs 156284 1304 154980 1% /var/volatile

/dev/sda1 14997176 139384 14857792 1% /media/hdd

root@zgemmah2s:~#

Could anyone advise on how I can clear unwanted files in the rootfs so that the coding can work, or a piece of code that would overwrite what is currently in the filesystem.

as a spin off from Flash ATV via command line from the creators GrogBuild FreeRange - Leading the way to simplicity I've now put together a little script to flash open vix from the command line.

Please note this will only work for officially supported boxes and as long as the Vix team don't change the html code in their web pages where the script gets the brand and box names from.

Ever done a software update and found the box won't boot?

Ever turn your box on and found it only boots up so far?

Every tried to flash online to flash online and found that your build is so old you don't have the option to flash the latest version of VIX via the Flash Online system?

Ever wanted to flash your box but have not got another spare USB stick?

Well I've now got a simple solution for you. It will find the latest nightly build of the current stable ATV and then flash your box. All you need is :

your existing USB/HDD mounted on /media/hdd, this should be the case for recordings etc, you do not need any additional usb stick formatted fat32

you need to be able to connect to your box via putty (or any other shell terminal program) or the openwebif terminal.

This tool does NOT backup your settings so make sure you do (if you can) before using.

SSH to your box using a terminal program such as putty, or using the terminal option of openWebIf in your browser and log in using the username root

Now paste all the code below into the terminal window. (right click on the terminal window to paste)

Code:
wget --no-check-certificate -O install_vix.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc2cdr116lvx3dj/install_vix.sh?dl=1 && bash install_vix.sh

after a few seconds you will be asked to select the brand of your box by entering the number next to the brand of your box, you will then be asked to select the actual box you are flashing from another list, again enter the number next to your box.

Now you are prompted which partition you want flashed, this is for boxes with multiboot, if you don't use multiboot or your box doesn't have multiboot facilities just hit the enter key, if you are using multiboot enter the partition number and then press enter key. (Thanks to @Willo3092 for suggesting and testing Multiboot flashing)

The latest stable build will then be downloaded to /media/hdd and your box flashed.

I am sure this will be copied, made into a plugin of some kind or added to another build but remember you saw it here first :)
I have just changed my box to a Octagon SF 8008, and I cannot get the terminal window to open so that I can install grogbuild, can you help.

Thanks.

I have just changed my box to a Octagon SF 8008, and I cannot get the terminal window to open so that I can install grogbuild, can you help.

Thanks.
what is installed on the box at the moment?

Are you trying via openwebif or putty?

what is the problem you are getting when trying to open the terminal?

Back