Hard drive recommendation for a NAS system

Jerboa

I have a netgear Nas system with 2 x WD 3tb drives, which I've had for some time now, looking to either replace them for larger drives, or buy a new Nas with more drive bays, looking online for compatable drives, at 6tb or 8tb, but from reading some reviews on amazon, they have negative feedback on the new drives, saying the lag and the manufactures have changed them.
Anyone have a recommendation, or a HDD expert? As a drive you might of bought 3 years ago, might not run identical to one bought today, if they have built them differently.

I've got a Synology DS916+ which is a 4 bay with 18tb of WD red drives. I've only ever had one fail and ordered a new one from Amazon. I then sent the faulty one back and got a refund. I don't think they check returns because I never heard any more about it.
If I upgrade a drive, I buy an externally powered caddy for the old drive and plug it into the NAS USB3 ports as extra storage or for backups.
I've got a further 18tb using a USB3 hub plugged into the NAS now.

Ive just got loads of old dvd's im ripping and uploading to my Nas.
I was asking advice mainly on which hard drives to buy, as from reading reviews online, new ones are not rated so highly from customers who had bought the same before, have they changed manufacture and design? If I'm spending a couple hundred quid I don't want mediocre.

I have a netgear Nas system with 2 x WD 3tb drives, which I've had for some time now, looking to either replace them for larger drives, or buy a new Nas with more drive bays, looking online for compatable drives, at 6tb or 8tb, but from reading some reviews on amazon, they have negative feedback on the new drives, saying the lag and the manufactures have changed them.
Anyone have a recommendation, or a HDD expert? As a drive you might of bought 3 years ago, might not run identical to one bought today, if they have built them differently.
Either WD Red or Seagate Iron Wolf both of which are hardware optimised for NAS use. Also recommend that you look at formatting them Btrfs if your NAS device supports that.

nas ? for what. as aplex server cant play 4k generally.
That's entirely dependent upon the hardware and network resources available and nothing to do with 'NAS' generically.

Back