HDD/SSD PASSWORD

pbeatts

Desperate for some help here, I have a toshiba satellite c50d-B-120, and I cannot get past the hdd password.
I have been through all the posts on here and just about everywhere else on the net, and cannot find the answer.
I followed all instructions to pipe the supervisor password and such, but I just cannot get into the hard drive at all without the password.
I have tried all the backdoor passwords that I can find, but this password was never set, it just came up itself one morning.
I’ve tried all the tools I can on usb drive, no cd drive, but if the hard drive is in place, I cannot get access to anything, even when I manage to put the hdd last in the boot sequence. It still asks for hdd/ssd password.
I think this problem is specific to Toshiba, but they want more than the laptop cost, to fix it.
Please please please, can someone help. I had a full head of hair at beginning of week, now I’m nearly bald, strewth, it’s hard going.
Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to remove the password?

If so, try this

"1. The HDD password cannot be removed using Security Assist.
2. Using SETUP BIOS (i.e. start machine; Hold Esc; Press F1), Tab to the HDD Password section which should be displayed as follows:
HDD Password
HDD = Built-in HDD
HDD Password Mode = USER Only
User Password = Registered
3. Tab to the "User Password" field and simply enter the old password and then a new one twice (once to verify) as one would do normally. If you don't want a password, just press "enter" twice

copied from here
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2967833/hdd-ssd-password-toshiba.html

Thanks for very prompt reply, but I have tried this previously. The HDD password doesn’t highlight so I can change it, unfortunately I don’t know it, as it was never set in the first place, and just popped up one day for no reason.
I have downloaded hirers boot and installed on usb drive as laptop does not have cd/dvd drive.
I still cannot use it, as when the drive is in place, when booting up, the first thing it asks for is HDD/SSD PASSWORD. It won’t let me into bios with hard drive in, I can access it with drive out though, but as soon as it reboots, it’s just the same.
I think it has something to do with toshiba and them putting a little software to do this after a certain time, just to make money. Laptop only two years old, and in very good condition before this.

If I was to remove the hard drive and attach it to my pc, could I search the drive via my pc, and if so, where would I look.????
Again, thanks in advance.

Thanks Christara, but I have been through this tutorial, and it only removes the user or supervisor passwords, not the HDD/SSD password.
The toshiba tutorial only goes along the same lines with the user and the supervisor passwords.
At no point do they ever say that there is an HDD password, and if you tell them that there is one on the machine, they insist you send it to them for repair, and it is very costly.
As I said previously, I believe it to be a little bit of software that toshiba install, so that after a certain length of time, this password sets itself, and only toshiba know how to remove it.
There must be someone who knows about it or has worked for toshiba in the past, that can at least share some info on this password, as far too many have the same problem, most when the laptop is between two and three years old.

Am beginning to think your only option is to follow the video link above?
Here is a google search for you. LINK
Your best way is to watch a few videos and if you feel up to it, It would be best to have a video playing on another computer while you attempt it?

EDIT: TOSHIBA PASSWORD = 32 spaces

Last edited:
Ok, here goes, this should put an end to all laptops that are asking for an HDD password and it isn’t known.
Basically, bin the hard drive and replace with a new one.
All these companies are installing software onto the hard drive of laptops as a security item, not to prevent theft, but to prevent use of the laptop if it has been stolen. Remember, this is on the hard drive, not the bios system.
You can go to the manufacturer and if you have all the credentials required by them, ie; receipts, registration and so on, they May, if satisfied, although highly unlikely allow you to send it to them, where they will unlock it for you, at a price where you could simply buy a new one.
I spoke to Toshiba help desk for long enough, trying to get as much info as possible. This is security software, which will kick in itself, if the laptop thinks it has been stolen, or something else. Not sure what the something else is, but it could be the reason why so many people are having the same trouble. Laptop ok one day, then locked out the next by a password they didnt set..
In my case, the battery went completely flat, as it lay unused for around about three months, recharged it and asked for password that was never set.
I also tried every bit of software and repairs that I could find including hirens boot and ultimate boot cd, both of which failed. I even put the hard drive into another machine, and as an additional drive on my pc, but couldn’t read the drive on pc, and asked for password on other laptop.
I hope this will save everyone else some much needed time and effort, and do the easy thing, get a new laptop.

Ok, here goes, this should put an end to all laptops that are asking for an HDD password and it isn’t known.
All these companies are installing software onto the hard drive of laptops as a security item, not to prevent theft, but to prevent use of the laptop if it has been stolen. Remember, this is on the hard drive, not the bios system.
You can go to the manufacturer and if you have all the credentials required by them, ie; receipts, registration and so on, they May, if satisfied, although highly unlikely allow you to send it to them, where they will unlock it for you, at a price where you could simply buy a new one.
I spoke to Toshiba help desk for long enough, trying to get as much info as possible. This is security software, which will kick in itself, if the laptop thinks it has been stolen, or something else. Not sure what the something else is, but it could be the reason why so many people are having the same trouble. Laptop ok one day, then locked out the next by a password they didnt set..
In my case, the battery went completely flat, as it lay unused for around about three months, recharged it and asked for password that was never set.
I also tried every bit of software and repairs that I could find including hirens boot and ultimate boot cd, both of which failed. I even put the hard drive into another machine, and as an additional drive on my pc, but couldn’t read the drive on pc, and asked for password on other laptop.
I hope this will save everyone else some much needed time and effort, and do the easy thing, get a new laptop.

you should have used DBAN which nukes it from orbit basically and overwrites every sector with 0's, then 1's then 0's again, this makes it raw, meaning all you need to do then is format it with FAT32 or whatever, put an O/S on it and you're done

you should have used DBAN which nukes it from orbit basically and overwrites every sector with 0's, then 1's then 0's again, this makes it raw, meaning all you need to do then is format it with FAT32 or whatever, put an O/S on it and you're done
thanks for that, I’ve not heard of it, so will look into it to save cost of new hard drive

it's a free download from sourceforge, burn it to CD, put the disk in and wait, for a very long time, it might take 18 hours or more

it's a free download from sourceforge, burn it to CD, put the disk in and wait, for a very long time, it might take 18 hours or more
Have tried to use DBAN, but it will not work. The drive just will not allow access, regardless of where it it. I tried it in the laptop, and as an additional drive on pc, then through a hard drive cradle that I purchased, it just will not allow access. New hard drive ordered.

Have tried to use DBAN, but it will not work. The drive just will not allow access, regardless of where it it. I tried it in the laptop, and as an additional drive on pc, then through a hard drive cradle that I purchased, it just will not allow access. New hard drive ordered.
try this works for win 7 so might work for win 10

try this works for win 7 so might work for win 10
Thanks for the effort, but problem is that I cannot get that far on the laptop, and the one he is bypassing is a user password and not the HDD/SSD password. This one is fixed so that you cannot access the hard drive in any way, unless you know the password, which Toshiba do, but won't tell.
I can access bios without the hard drive in the laptop, but the moment it is in, it asks for it right away.
As I said, thank you for the effort, but new hard drive has been ordered.

Thanks for the effort, but problem is that I cannot get that far on the laptop, and the one he is bypassing is a user password and not the HDD/SSD password. This one is fixed so that you cannot access the hard drive in any way, unless you know the password, which Toshiba do, but won't tell.
I can access bios without the hard drive in the laptop, but the moment it is in, it asks for it right away.
Step
Boot up your Toshiba laptop.

Step
Press the "F2" key on your Toshiba keyboard to enter the Setup Utility.

Step
Click the "Security" on the Setup Utility menu.

Video of the Day

Step
Enter the new password in the Setup User Password dialogue box and press "Enter."

Step
Click the "Exit tab" on the Setup Utility Menu, click "Exit Saving Changes" and then click "Yes." Your computer system will automatically reboot.

Back