How To Softmod Your Wii (Version 4.2 Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cnads, did you install or uninstall at this point, give as much info as you can about where you are in the process, and what is showing. and you definitely should have had the option of both an ios and as boot2

ok.. so i decided to go through the process again in case something was corrupt.

I re-formated the SD card in windows when I launch the app in "step 1" (Load boot.dol/elf?) it presents me with 'HackMii installer v0.5" and beside BootMii it says 'can only be installed as an IOS' and beneath that it says:
"The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)"

I now have an option "Continue" and I click yes

So next I go to "Bootmii..." and then "install bootmii as IOS" - SUCCESS

I repeat for DVDX and the homebrew channel

Next, I reset the wii and copy the step 2 files onto the SD card (and overwrite existing files) and I go into the SD menu, it asks me "Load boot.dol/elf?" again and I click yes

It brings me to wad manager, I hit A at the disclaimer, then I select source device as Wii SD Slot and Hit A

it says available wad files for the device:
IOS222-64-v65280.wad
IOS223-64-v65280.wad
IOS249-64-v65280.wad
IOS250-64-v65280.wad

I hit A on the first one, click left to Uninstall WAD and hit A and the output is:
[+] Opening "IOS222-64-v65280.wad", please wat... OK!
[+] Uninstalling WAD, please wait...
>> Deleting tickets... ERROR! (ret = -1017
>> Deleting title contents... ERROR! (ret = -1017
>> Deleting title... ERROR! (ret = -1017

Press any button to continue...

I hit A and it brings me back to the previous screen (available wads) I get the exact same output (same return values -1017 too) for every wad that I try to uninstall.

Any ideas?

thanks for the info cnads, I'm just about to do my neighbours, and see if it is a software problem, though i have used it before with no problems, i will get back as soon as poss :taz:

Step 9 Issues

9.Open the homebrew menu, then select wad manager and press A.
You will be asked which ios do you want to use, press left/right until ios249 is shown, select this press A. At “select emulator device”, choose “SD/SDHC card” press A.
At “Select source device” choose “Wii SD slot” press A, it should install.
If someone has some insight to my problem it would be greatly appreciated. When I do this stem (above) I get an error! (ret = -1), I've tried this multiple times and get the same error. Any Ideas?

Hi alphajapwolf
try re formating your card and doing that part again,also try re downloadind the file,if that fails use this
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/312018503/4.2_wii_hack.rar
for the last part in that you will need to connect your wii to the internet to dop the ios 70,good luck m8

Black screen at step 11

Hi all,
I'm new to softmodding my Wii but I am a computer tech and pretty much know what I'm doing.
I'm having this same issue as cnads as well.

I hit A on the first one, click left to Uninstall WAD and hit A and the output is:

I'm also having an issue at step 11 when trying to load Dop-IOS. I get a balck screen and the Wii just locks up.
Also, I couldn't load 249 like other and tried 250 instead and it loaded.
Any idea's??

Last edited:
Hi Szabby
Was it a 4.2 update through nintendo or a new wii,i only ask because i have just done one and it had me pulling my hair out,i got it sorted thou,give me as much info as you can

Right, hi xD so i posted here a while ago but havent been able to softmod my wii bcause of college and a minor prob with my sis camera :s.

Anyway im all readyy now but i have a question is there anyway i can backup my wii in case of it being bricked in the process? is not that i dont trust your guide, its just that u can never be too sure :(

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi ageofaurum,
If bootmii can be installed as boot 2 you can do a nand backup and that is a backup of your wii,if your wii is new i would doubt you can it is usualy only a ios backup,if it is an older wii and you are updating you should be able to do a nand backup,but if you can dont update to 4.2

alright thanks...mmmm i now that i can softmod my wii since its a LU62 (the ones that cannot be softmodded are lu64+ no?) now..ive upgraded since a while ago (almost a month) to 4.2 :s, so i wont be able to softmod it?????
thanks

You can softmod your wii,all wii's can be softmodded,its just advised not to update,even the lu64 are soft modded now,follow the guide and you should be ok,did you use nintendo to upgrade with or without a safe installer

I personally did not use this guide,i used this one
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/312018503/4.2_wii_hack.rar
They are both very similar,in the one i used for the last part i dop the ios 70 with the wii connected to the internet

Hi guys I have a problem as many others did.

I have a wii I bought used maybe 4 months ago.

I did have it softmodded for a couple months around that time. I softmodded it myself had no issues.

I deleted homebrew channel and stuff.

Used this guide to try and softmod again.

And im receiving the same issues that others were getting.

When trying to delete the ios's(The 4 that the guide states to use)

Also when I try to use the 249 wad or ios or w/e it freezes my wii.

When I go to wad manage it states there is no version or anythign just says unknown.

When I try to use the ios thing to install an ios it just gives me a black screen.

Is this because im on 4.2? should I just erase everything off the wii and start fresh? If so should I update or not.

Hi Reign
The update to 4.2 thru Nintendo has been described as like getting a prostitute,you dont know what your getting,i have come across quite a few troubled wii's since the update thats why its recomended not to update,
However this is what i had to do to fix one that sounds like your problem
Code:
http://gwht.wikidot.com/ios249
follow it exactly and you should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back