My radiators get hot when I run the hot water taps ? is that right or something wrong ?

@dougy b and any of the other forum users that are chatting in this thread too.

The new boiler fitted is this one >> Worcester greenstar 30i erp

And in the hall there is the thermostat which is this one here >> Worcester MT10RF

I am just off the phone to Worcester tech support and they said that without a proper Worcester Comfort 1 or Comfort 2 programmer installed on the actual boiler like I want, they said that the way it sounds like its installed just now does not comply with gas safe regulations as I should be able to turn my heating on/off at the boiler with a proper programmer instead of the only way I can do it just now which is to turn the hallway thermostat down to zero and up to 21c etc if I want the heating off/on etc, they said that does not comply with gas safe regulations.

So does this basically mean I have the contractor by the short and curleys so to speak as they never fitted the proper programmer and it does not comply with Gas Safe regulations as things stand, that's from the horses mouth, the manufacturer ???, I'm guessing there is less chance of them telling lies than the poxy contractor that fitted the boiler in first place.

I asked them why they don't sell the boilers with these programmers already fitted onto them, he said that is just the way Worcester has always sold their boilers, they require another part at extra cost to add onto it too like I just explained, I don't even think that make sense either ffs, lol, that sounds like selling a car that doesn't have an button/key to start the engine, lol, it does though doesn't it man ? sounds crazy man :unsure:

Last edited:
Yes @pisshead
Assuming you are in England or Wales, it doesn't comply with Boilerplus, a new reg from last March, needs a flue recovery unit, weather compensator, and timed controls.

Yes @pisshead
Assuming you are in England or Wales, it doesn't comply with Boilerplus, a new reg from last March, needs a flue recovery unit, weather compensator, and timed controls.

I'm in Scotland mate, surely gas safe is gas safe rules no matter where live in the UK ? I know that we use Gas Safe rules up here too, so I take it that it's the same Gas Safe rules all over UK otherwise things could be very dangerous with different rules and regulations etc ?

I'm in Scotland mate, surely gas safe is gas safe rules no matter where live in the UK ? I know that we use Gas Safe rules up here too, so I take it that it's the same Gas Safe rules all over UK otherwise things could be very dangerous with different rules and regulations etc ?
Nothing to do with gas Safe AFAIAA, it's efficiency regs, like needing TRVs etc, I think it's 92% efficiency that must be met, hence requiring timed controls etc, along with stats etc.
Scotland usually mirror English regs on stuff like this, have a Google

I explained in detail to the guy on the phone from Worcester boilers that all I want is to be able to turn my heating on/off from A PROGRAMMER that's built onto the actual boiler and just be able to leave my thermostat in the hallway at 21c and never need to touch that again really afterwards.

He knew what I meant and said that because I don't have that installed right now on the boiler then it does not come within some sort of regulations, I just thought he meant Gas Safe, he didn't say which regulations, so I just thought he meant Gas Safe.

So what are these regulations actually part of then that your talking about @steptoe ? your saying it's not Gas Safe, so who is it that makes the regulations then and will that defo be what the Worcester guy on the phone meant, yeah ? and is it technically still illegal as not having gas equipment very strictly regulated and maintained then right now my house insurance would be null and void if something dangerous happened.

p.s, please try and remember that I am just an end user here and do not have a clue about all these things, so I won't understand certain words and wording, phrases and lingo used in the trade with regards to Gas Boilers and plumbing etc, I'm just me sitting here, a normal guy with no clue about these things like most people don't either I guess, lol

@pisshead
I'm not a gas plumber bud, I'm just a lowly spark that has a USP in heating systems, so I'm not 100% on gas regs, but, I think it's a building control reg that MUST be complied with, and if not, then you will have no warranty etc.
You could go down the route of gas Safe in that the installer hasn't installed in compliance with relevant regulations, therefore, it doesn't comply with their regs either.

Nothing to do with gas Safe AFAIAA, it's efficiency regs, like needing TRVs etc, I think it's 92% efficiency that must be met, hence requiring timed controls etc, along with stats etc.
Scotland usually mirror English regs on stuff like this, have a Google

The thermostat on the wall in the hall (Worcester MT10RF ) as well as being a thermostat also has an old style analog clock and timer too but NO ON/OFF switch/button for my heating on the boiler with a digital display, the guy from Worcester boilers on the phone said that it has to have a proper ON/OFF programmer switch/button on the actual boiler programmer display too otherwise it does not comply with regulations (mines has no way of doing this on the actual boiler, just that poxy thing in the hall, thats all), I just took it for granted he meant Gas Safe regulations you see, but it's still not right either way according to him, what you all think now going by everything I've just reported in my recent posts guys ?

Are these contractors just chancers that will fit things as cheaply as possible even if it does break the laws that be ?

Last edited:
@pisshead , if there is a timed option I think that would comply, is there not a little toggle switch on the stat that lets you chose , off , on , clock , I'll Google it in a bit,
I'm not sure about actually being able to turn it off is a requirement, as you need frost protection.
I think the Worcester guy may just be trying to sell one of their own clocks that fit internal to the boiler, and are stupid money for very little.

@pisshead , if there is a timed option I think that would comply, is there not a little toggle switch on the stat that lets you chose , off , on , clock , I'll Google it in a bit,
I'm not sure about actually being able to turn it off is a requirement, as you need frost protection.
I think the Worcester guy may just be trying to sell one of their own clocks that fit internal to the boiler, and are stupid money for very little.

I don't mean turning the boiler on or off at the wall switch, I just mean there is no on and off switch anywhere on the boiler or the thermostat/timer in the hall either to allow me to be able to turn my heating on or off plus if I wanted to switch the hot water off and leave the heating on there is no way to do that either, that's what I mean.

The worcester guy on phone said that is against regulations not to have a programmer on the boiler to allow you to turn you heating on and off etc, so he said anyway, I just don't know if that's ballocks or not though, he said why would he lie, I asked him was he sure and he said well my job is to give our customers the correct safe legal information, not to lie, I had already told him I wont be buying anything at the start of the conversation, so he wasn't trying to sell me something, well I don't think so.

Anyways, the money isn't an object, I'm not paying for any of this you see, I'm just wanting a digital display that I can turn my heating on or off from actually on the boiler it's self, that's all, he said by regulations that is how it should be anyway and he was very firm about it too especially when I asked him was he sure, lol

I don't mean turning the boiler on or off at the wall switch, I just mean there is no on and off switch anywhere on the boiler or the thermostat/timer in the hall either to allow me to be able to turn my heating on or off plus if I wanted to switch the hot water off and leave the heating on there is no way to do that either, that's what I mean.

The worcester guy on phone said that is against regulations not to have a programmer on the boiler to allow you to turn you heating on and off etc, so he said anyway, I just don't know if that's ballocks or not though, he said why would he lie, I asked him was he sure and he said well my job is to give our customers the correct safe legal information, not to lie, I had already told him I wont be buying anything at the start of the conversation, so he wasn't trying to sell me something, well I don't think so.

Anyways, the money isn't an object, I'm not paying for any of this you see, I'm just wanting a digital display that I can turn my heating on or off from actually on the boiler it's self, that's all, he said by regulations that is how it should be anyway and he was very firm about it too especially when I asked him was he sure, lol
There is an on/off switch on your boiler for heating , unless your installer has removed it.

There is an on/off switch on your boiler for heating , unless your installer has removed it.

nope, there is no way I can turn my heating on or off unless I turn the thermostat in the hall down low or to zero, that then turns the heating off, there is no other way to turn my heating on and off apart from that, that's what I'm on about.

(I do not mean the main wall switch to turn the power off to the boiler, I don't mean that if that's what your thinking).

Last edited:
Just go back to installer with exactly that and see what he says , you can as good as turn heating off by putting temp on minimum .

I did mate, today it was, he said that's fine and normal when he came out.

So after he left I then called Worcester boilers support team directly and according to them it's against regulations not to have a heating on and off button on the main programmer on the boiler, I said like I explained in here in an earlier post too that there is no programmer at all on the actual boiler, just a daft wee digital display that allows you to turn your hot water and radiator tempreature to desired level and to reset the settings, I think it allows me to turn ECO mode on and off too, again I have no idea even what the ECO mode is for, I know it will mean economy (save money etc) but technically I really don't know the difference of it being on or off, no one explained nuffin man, the contractor was a total bawbag man, honestly was/is.

nope, there is no way I can turn my heating on or off unless I turn the thermostat in the hall down low or to zero, that then turns the heating off, there is no other way to turn my heating on and off apart from that, that's what I'm on about.

(I do not mean the main wall switch to turn the power off to the boiler, I don't mean that if that's what your thinking).
I don't mean the wall switch, if there is no means to turn heating off on boiler, then your installer has really fkd up by not providing this means to you via your stat or otherwise,
You need to be able to turn heating off and still get hot water.
I thought there was an OFF heating setting on the digital clock.

I don't mean the wall switch, if there is no means to turn heating off on boiler, then your installer has really fkd up by not providing this means to you via your stat or otherwise,
You need to be able to turn heating off and still get hot water.
I thought there was an OFF heating setting on the digital clock.

It's like I keep saying mate, the only way I can turn my heating/radiators on/off is be turning the hallway thermostat to zero, that will turn the heating on and also leaves me with hot water too.

I would much prefer it like my old system was and that was simply to leave the thermostat in the hallway set at 21c and then everything else was done from the digital display/programmer on the actual boiler.

According to that guy from Worcester support on the phone today he said that It should be like that but it's not, he said it's against some sort of regulations if you can't like I already explained earlier in here, there is a big blank white space on the boiler where the programmer would fit but they didnt fit anything there and just told me to turn the heating on and off from the wall thermostat

Do you not have an operators manual for the boiler?

32 page manual here .... https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1016180/Worcester-Greenstar-25i-Erp-47-406-60.html?page=1#manual

yep, I have one of those and also looked at it online previously and again just now too, I still do not see any straightforward on/off button to switch the central heating on and off, the installer told me I have to turn it on/off by turning the hallway thermostat down low or up to 21c degrees so that I can turn the heating on and off, yet one of the other guys that came in and done a bit of work made it clear to me that I shouldn't be turning that main thermostat up and down several times a day everyday, he said that's not really what it's meant for and that I should really get a programmer display unit (Worcester Comfort 1) that would allow me to be able to turn the central heating off at the boiler rather than going back and forth all day between the kitchen and the hallway thermostat to turn my heating on or off, AND then having to go away back into the kitchen where the boiler is installed to see if its actually on as I have no way of telling unless I feel heat from the radiators or see the blue flame on the boiler, sometimes the heating doesn't come on and then it means another journey back and forth and so on between the kitchen and hallway, it's a total pain in the neck man :rage:, i've been back and forth more times in the past couple of days to the hallway and kitchen than I think I've ever been in my life man, lol.

p.s, I don't see any instructions in that manual on how to turn the heating on and off unless I have a programmer like I said and the installer told me to use the dial on the thermostat for the tempreature, he said yes use that dial as your on/off switch, I just smell heavy duty sh*t with this install mob man :rage:

I have a roomstat in my living room
Boiler set to full on, permanently, 365 days.
on roomstat it goes from 8 degrees to 38 degrees
i summer, roomstat set to 8, it never, ever comes on, in spring/autumn, its varied between 18 - 22 degrees, based on whether i'm warm or cold.
in winter i set it to about 25 degrees, unless we get a warm spell.
i don't go near boiler which is in an unused bedroom from one month to the next unless it goes off completely, with a fault or something else, how often do you have to change temperatures in your house? - if it's set to 20 and it's a warm day, the boiler may only come on for half an hour in 24, if it's set to 20 in middle of December, it's going to be running practically all day, this is what a stat does.
The stat should be placed in a habitable space ideally - if it's nailed to the wall directly over a radiator, this is a waste of time as the rad will warm it up and switch the boiler off prematurely, likewise it shouldn't be placed at the side of the back or front door, you want it close to where you spend most of your time living

Back