pc gone down,virus blank screen.

Hi Paddy, reading through the threads you seem to be getting into a bit of a state.

Using the 'system restore' feature has only limited success. If this is not solving your issues, switch it off and try running the virus scan again. However, I think you have bigger issues and a more thorough clean up is necessary.

Firstly, do you need any files etc off you pc or is it way too late for that.
I get this impression that it is, if your talking about junking the computer.
If you can't save anything then the best course of action is to re-format the c drive and re-install the operating system, then the applications you need.

Do you have the operating system discs that came with the machine or did you make recovery discs when you first got the pc.

I tend to back up my files and re-install the os and applications from time to time as there is always the inevitable build up of dross which slows the pc down over time.

Most important thing, if your doing this yourself, keep calm. Start from scratch and you'll have success, its not a wheelie bin case!

dark, i think we should just go ahead and have him flush this system out. what do you think?

If it comes to the worst, I have the xp home disc ready ;)
If you need it Paddy.

i think its getting a little confusing, and from the sounds of it on my end, he needs a complete reformat. the bright side is paddy, your pc will run like new!

OK thanks ill boot it up in the morning,iv done another virus scan but it crashed half way true,the same old story blue screen PC was shut down to protect it from //////// i don't need anything on it pictures etc,everything i need is on my laptop,the restore CD vir1.1 i got with it wont load on start up,but i can go to my computer and see the files on it drivers audio etc,the cd says it gives u complete backup of softwere preinstalled on the pc at the factory

OK thanks ill boot it up in the morning,iv done another virus scan but it crashed half way true,the same old story blue screen PC was shut down to protect it from //////// i don't need anything on it pictures etc,everything i need is on my laptop,the restore CD vir1.1 i got with it wont load on start up,but i can go to my computer and see the files on it drivers audio etc,the cd says it gives u complete backup of softwere preinstalled on the pc at the factory

rather than put yourself through all this hassle why not take up noelys offer and reinstall the windows xp.

dont do a clean install, ie format your hard drive, frist just install it over the version your running, all your files will be stored in a folder called windows.old . all your pics programs flicks or whatever you already have on your hard disk will be saved there. better than losing everything.
when the installation is finished save the windows.old folder to an external hard drive then go back and format the hard drive during the next reinstall for a full clean installation.

dont do a clean install, ie format your hard drive, frist just install it over the version your running, all your files will be stored in a folder called windows.old . all your pics programs flicks or whatever you already have on your hard disk will be saved there. better than losing everything.
when the installation is finished save the windows.old folder to an external hard drive then go back and format the hard drive during the next reinstall for a full clean installation.

you could aslo just transfer the pictures mp3's and things like that onto a flash drive, then do a clean install. based on your log i highly recommend a clean install

true but if its crashing while its running it might not give him the time to do it.
would def do a clean installation but would just be nice to save whatever i have first.
just something ive had to do before anyway

thanks for the help lads,i turned it on earlier today on safe mode,administrator every think was over sized,put in xp CD no joy just free zed so i restarted and it wouldn't boot up, this happens so i leave it for a while then start again and sometimes it starts up,i don't need anything on the PC i have all stored on my laptop so a full clean installation is needed i think'how do i do this,
thanks again.:)

the second you turn on the comp open the tray and put the cd in and close

you should see a message appear on the screen saying, press any key to boot from cd

if you dont, firstly restart the computer with the cd in the tray and try again, if this doesnt work again we may have to change the boot order in the BIOS, but try the first method anyway.

if you do see the message to boot from cd then press any key and the cd will take over and start loading the files needed

after a couple of minutes youll come to a blue screen with options on where to install xp too

your obviously going to select your hard drive so select it

it will give you the option to format it by pressing F, press F

quick format is what people usually go for but if you have time do the normal format

after the HD is formatted windows will start the installation, eventually (30/40mins)you will get to the desktop after setting your timezone, language settings and so on

your screen will probably appear very large, not to worry as you just have to reinstall the display drivers for your computer which you can do by searching the internet, typically they should be on the manufacturers website, you may have a product number on the back or side of your comp where you can input on the website and from there download all the drivers you need

any other questions just ask away

sorry for the delay paddy, here's a handy link to change the boot order for your comp

click here and follow the instructions, anything you dont understand ask away again

once youve changed the boot order follow the previous instructions and you should be on your way

sorry for the delay paddy, here's a handy link to change the boot order for your comp

click here and follow the instructions, anything you dont understand ask away again

once youve changed the boot order follow the previous instructions and you should be on your way
thank for that i got the cd running but now its stuck on system verification system information is being verified
A:/> dont no what to do next

thank for that i got the cd running but now its stuck on system verification system information is being verified
A:/> dont no what to do next

i take this was resolved paddy as your asking about internet connection in another thread?

what did you do to resolve this problem?

lads i thought i got this PC back to norm but no,i reinstalled xp and it seemed to working fine but today i connected it up to the internet and started loading updates but then after ten minutes it crashed like before and now it just keeps starting up and closing down keeps on doing this,i think this is the end:crying football:

Back