pc running far to slow

ok still having problems. I am trying to rip a cd its taken well over half an hour and still not half way done. It used to take about 3-4 minutes so why is it taking so long.

It also took almost 24hrs to back up everything on my new external hard drive.
I must have a serious problem with it running slow. Whether its internet or other programmes now its taking forever to do things.
anyone got any more suggestions or can anyone see anything on the logs i added
cheers

Hi Linny,

couple of suggestions you might want to try.. 1st, before you do anything, create a new restore point (that way if you do have to go back, you won't loose anything you've done recently).

You said you "deleted" bonjour, itunes, etc.. did you actually "delete", or did you uninstall them?? If you uninstalled with the built in Windows add/remove programs feature, it often leaves a lot of garbage behind (as in program folders, remnants of the program in other places, registry entries, etc). You might want to try the Revo Uninstaller (easy to google for) instead. On its most thorough level, it will even remove all traces of the registry entries old programs leave behind (won't work for anything you've already uninstalled though... it has to see the program to begin with).

You probably also want to run junk file cleaners and maybe even registry cleaners.. I have 3 on my computers.. CCleaner, Advanced System Care ( I have the Pro, but there is a free version) and Vista Manager (not free but they have a full featured 15 day trial.. made by Yamicsoft, they also have an XP version).

CCleaner is very quick (both the junk files and registry cleaner), Advanced System Care will also check for spyware and security threats (doen't make this a replacement for your normal anti-spyware/anti-virus programs though) still fairly quick though and Vista Manager is the most thorough (can take an hour or more for the scans)..

There's also a very good program called Malwarebytes (free) that you might want to try, again it might find something that others miss. You only want 1 anti-virus program installed (and running at all times), but you can install multiple anti-spyware programs.. you just don't want to have them auto-start and always running.. You just run them and then shut down till the next time you want to run.

As another poster had mentioned, you might want to check what programs "auto-start" when you log into your computer.. Windows Defender and msconfig give you a brief picture of what's actually auto-starting and you can disable some items, but they don't show you everything.. You can download the Sysinternals Suite from Microsoft (there's a link in the D/L's section over at AD).. run their "autoruns" program (make sure you're going for 'autoruns.exe' not 'autorunsc.exe' unless you're really familiar and comfortable with typing commands in a dos window). the autoruns program has tabs for everything that can start up when you boot.. programs, drivers, services, codecs, etc (you can choose to hide anything Microsoft), and you may find things starting at logon that you didn't know were there and you don't want running (like the "google updater service on my compter"). You can easily disable and when you re-boot they won't re-start.

Another good program to have is WinPatrol (free version), if you have this running, it will let you know if any program tries to change settings on your computer, if a new program wants to auto-start, etc (so again gives you more control).

Just a few thoughts as to things to try... Remember though, before you try anything as I initially mentioned, create a new restore point "just in case".. If things are working better after you try one thing (reboot after), then feel free to create a new restore point before trying something else. Advanced System Care will ask if you want to create a restore point before you run the first time after you install, and Vista (XP) Manager gives you the option right on the initial screen when you open the program. Revo Uninstaller had an option in its setting to create a restore point every time you uninstall a program (probably a good idea if its something you're not sure about)..

If I can think of any other ideas, I'll post later..

i had malwarebytes myself but got rid of it when asquared free version picked up 31 nasties for me :)
using ccleaner and auslogics boost speed aswell

of course everyone has their own preference i think.

linny are you using a proxy address for browsing the whole time?you can check this in control panel, internet options, then select the tab for connections and select LAN settings, uncheck the proxy box if its selected and then apply to see if this makes a dif.
and also how much memory is installed on the pc, could be time for an upgrade :)

Last edited:
Hi "7th"...

if you're stuck with IE at work (as I am), you can get around that by getting a flash drive and installing the portable version of FF (from portableapps.com). It runs completely on your flash drive and never leaves a footprint on the computer.. Any you can import all of your settings (bookmarks, passwords, etc) from your home version so you basically have your home browser at work.
The only thing you'll have to re-install in the Portable Version are your extensions (not such a hard thing to do).

You can download just FF or you can get it as part of the PortableApps Suite with a bunch of other programs and a menu launcher
. If you install the suite, you can add other portable apps (or completely self-contained programs that don't need to be installed on the hard drive) so you can have them at any computer you use.

^^Agreed.^^

I use IE at work, not by choice; and FF at home. I prefer FF all around.

---------- Post added at 05:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 AM ----------

Hi Axxxo,

Took a look at asquared free and looks like something I'd like to try (can't have too many "nastie" finders on board).. I like the idea you can have a portable version on a flash drive (might just have to use at work).

The Auslogics software looks very similar to my Vista Manager (junk & registry cleaners are only a very small part of its arsenal), so I'd say I'm good there.

Thanks.

i had malwarebytes myself but got rid of it when asquared free version picked up 31 nasties for me :)
using ccleaner and auslogics boost speed aswell

Last edited:
im unreal jolec for trying anything thats free, gets me in trouble sometimes but i think ill stick with the asquared, must take a look at the vista manager myself :)

As I mentioned, it does have a full use 15-day trial... the license is for 2 years and I think its about $40 US (not sure as I bought mine last year and my license is good through February of next year.

im unreal jolec for trying anything thats free, gets me in trouble sometimes but i think ill stick with the asquared, must take a look at the vista manager myself :)

There has been a lot of great advice so far in this thread & the post by Joleca is both detailed & informative (well done Joleca).

The bottom line here though is that most of this stuff works at its best when deployed as preventative maintenance as opposed to deploying these methods after the fact?

There comes a time when no amount of cleaning will rectify a computer when it has fallen into a state where it's taking hours to upload some pictures to the Internet.

I would strongly recommend that in Linny's case it is well time for a re-install.

This does not have to be as dramatic as one might think either?

A lot of systems come with restore partitions as part of the initial build & if not that? then they would have come with a set of restore discs.

If Linny's machine has either of these options? it would be very easy to restore that machine to the state it was in when first purchased. It would take an awful lot less time than the time spent so far on trying to clean it & Linny would not believe the difference afterwards.

If Linny was to choose that route? all that would be required is that any mission critical data such as

Documents

Pictures

Music

Videos

Emails Etc would need to be backed up to an external prior to performing the restore operation & by this time tomorrow it would be like having a new machine.

-

Thanks Gman,

One more thing (well, maybe 2) that I'd add to your list.. You mentioned backing up e-mail.. If Linny is using Microsoft Outlook for mail, I'd recommend copying the entire .PST file to an external source.. Then all that's needed is to copy it back and input the name, password, ISP link info for his account (for some reason even though its there, it doesn't populate and you have to re-input).

Also if using FF, copy the entire profile, then once re-installed, overwrite the "new profile info" and browser is just as it was...

There has been a lot of great advice so far in this thread & the post by Joleca is both detailed & informative (well done Joleca).

There comes a time when no amount of cleaning will rectify a computer when it has fallen into a state where it's taking hours to upload some pictures to the Internet.

I would strongly recommend that in Linny's case it is well time for a re-install.

If Linny was to choose that route? all that would be required is that any mission critical data such as

Documents

Pictures

Music

Videos

Emails Etc would need to be backed up to an external prior to performing the restore operation & by this time tomorrow it would be like having a new machine.

-

thanks for all the info guys. OK ive done the ASC system and its just caused problems with my settings - so deleted it.
I have bought a new 1.0tb External hard drive and backing up - but its taking days to do for some reason. Once done a friend said they would reformat the pc for me. My pc came with restore/backup floppy disks with windows xp - but a friend said they could sort it out for me. My pc is quite old now it has 2 x 80gb hard drives, 512 SDRAM its a 1.8ghz intel pentium 4 plus a dvd RW that was put in when i had an additional 80gb HD installed. When pc was bought it came with a 60gb HD which crashed and an 80gb put in.
I run Firefox and Incredimail as my mail client - works similar to OE

as for deleting yes did via Control panel.
I keep getting (not responding) if i try to open something else or have 2 or more pages open.

Best move Linny.

The one thing I notice is the 512MB of RAM.

I would definitely up that to 1GB, it will make a phenomenal difference to performance, especially after a clean install.

You can go to Crucial & it will let you scan your system & report what RAM your system is capable of handling so will know what to get.

Memory has never been as cheap as it is now & you won't believe the improvements it will bring.

-

i have ust installed malwarebytes and it found 1 adware which it has now deleted. Must be something hiding somewhere for it to be this **** slow, plus how long should it take to do a complete back up. Gman will look that up now thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

just done that scan and it tells me i have 2 x 256 and can have an extra 512 as i have 1 slot empty
512MB current memory
256MB
256MB

512MB new memory added
512MB

i have ust installed malwarebytes and it found 1 adware which it has now deleted. Must be something hiding somewhere for it to be this **** slow, plus how long should it take to do a complete back up. Gman will look that up now thanks!

---------- Post added at 04:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

just done that scan and it tells me i have 2 x 256 and can have an extra 512 as i have 1 slot empty

All operating systems degrade over time/usage regardless of weather there are nasties or not involved.

Nothing other than a clean install is going to sort you I would suggest Linny.

When I referred to "Backup" I was talking about latterly copying whatever files you wished to keep to an external & the time involved will be down to how much stuff is involved & also taking into account the slowness of your machine.

How do you check you email Linny?

Is it on-line or do you use something like Outlook Express, Outlook or Windows Mail?

The reason I ask is that if you use any method other than on-line you will need a program to backup all your mail and accounts or you will need to copy the .pst file before you wipe.

If your email is checked on-line you won't need to do anything with it.

If you have 3 memory slots in total I'll assume we are dealing with a Desktop & not a Laptop?

If you do buy a new stick of RAM, you can get an even better result if you place the new(512) stick into the first slot nearest the processor by removing you existing(256) sticks & replacing them in slot 2 & 3.

The way a computer reads memory is this,

It will read the stick nearest the processor first & if more is required to carry out a particular process it will call from banks 2 & 3. If you have the higher value stick in the first it is more likely to be able to process without having to call in bank 2 & 3 unless you are doing something really demanding. That in itself will add to your performance improvement.

I just reinstalled XP on a 6 year old Lappy this morning & added an extra 512MB of RAM, the machine is absolutely flying now & the owner can't believe the difference.

I'm convinced you will save yourself a lot of pain if you go that route, especially when you have a friend who sounds confident enough to help with the reinstall.

-

lol, thats why i usually just suggest a clean install. the difference is usually much more than you would get just by deleting or adding programs. some people think they need new hardware, when really it just needs to have a fresh copy of an os. for exe. a friend of mine bought a laptop last year for 1,300$ i was mad at her to begin with for spending that much money, which was loaded full of crap software. So about a month ago she told me she needed "more memory" because her pc was running too slow and said just send me the bill. the next day i brought her computer back to her, and she said "how much do I owe you". lol i just laughed and said "nothing". she was amazed that she didn't have to spend money!

thanks Yes it is a desktop and ive never done a backup - Naughty :( and my email is like outlook express its on the pc,
My backup could take some time
Have no idea what the .pst file is so i take it there is a programme out there to backup emails then?

Yes i have a friend that is pretty niffty with a pc lol and he has xp on his. So im sure if i ask him and tell him i need more memory he will fit that for me to. At the moment its just getting the time to get to him and for him to do it. But cant do any of that until i have backedup everything. The Buffalo that i bought comes with MEMEO which backs up as you go along and i think 1.0 TB should do me for a while lol! Only thing is i have a few programmes that i dont have a hard copy of like Photoshop which i downloaded a few years ago with the licence but not sure if i have a copy of it anywhere.
MY emails all my saved stuff i can just print off like licence codes and passwrods etc
Only good thing is its keeping me off the computer i suppose lol and giving me a chance to do other things

I reinstall my OS at least twice per year as a matter of course.

I tend to experiment a lot though between beta testing & trying out different of procedures & reinstalling twice yearly would not be the norm.

Everyone should do it if they notice a real slow down IMO.

Just to add to that,

I use a program called "Acronis True Image Home 2009" which is similar to the software (PC Angel) used by manufactures to crate the restore partition on many shop purchased PC's purchased today.

What I normally do is this,

Do a clean install of the OS

Install an antivirus package.

Install all updates.

Install all required programs including Acronis True Image.

Use Acronis True Image to create a restore partition & an image of my new clean system.

From that point on, all that has to be done in the event of a disaster is to hit the F11 key at startup & within 11 minutes the system is reinstalled with everything exactly as it was when you first made the restore partition.

Acronis is a life saver & at under €50 it's well worth it IMO :)

-

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

thanks Yes it is a desktop and ive never done a backup - Naughty :( and my email is like outlook express its on the pc,
My backup could take some time
Have no idea what the .pst file is so i take it there is a programme out there to backup emails then?

Yes i have a friend that is pretty niffty with a pc lol and he has xp on his. So im sure if i ask him and tell him i need more memory he will fit that for me to. At the moment its just getting the time to get to him and for him to do it. But cant do any of that until i have backedup everything. The Buffalo that i bought comes with MEMEO which backs up as you go along and i think 1.0 TB should do me for a while lol! Only thing is i have a few programmes that i dont have a hard copy of like Photoshop which i downloaded a few years ago with the licence but not sure if i have a copy of it anywhere.
MY emails all my saved stuff i can just print off like licence codes and passwrods etc
Only good thing is its keeping me off the computer i suppose lol and giving me a chance to do other things

If you are using Outlook Express there is an excellent program that will backup everything for you (with the exception of your user-name & password for you email provider).

The program is free & it's called "Outlook Express Backup Version 6.5" It used to be pay for but it is free now.

What I like about this little gem is that during the backup process it has the option to check a box called "Make EXE File" & what that does is make one file containing all your mail and accounts. The file is a standalone self executable file & what all that means is that you only need to copy that file to you newly installed machine, double click it & it will put everything back for you (no need to have the backup program installed).

-

clean install it is so, guessing your comp is around 6 to 7 years old to have that amount of memory installed, more memory the better as everything you have running uses it, you can upgrade both slots for about £30, oh and why not do it yourself! you'll get great pleasure out of it and its even easier to do on a pc than a laptop!

i use outlook myself but it downloads my email from gmail so everything is kept there on the gmail account so i never have to worry about losing anything

my backup is getting there. I had a problem with it. so deleted everything put it in another slot ( realised a had a 2.0 USB slot empty) and its taken hardly any time compared to the other day. Plus this morning for some reason its working a little faster.

OK this may sound daft but when i open the pc do i need to use a magnet free screwdriver. As last time i opened a pc i was told i had "killed" it by using a magnetic screwdriver, and it never worked after that.

my backup is getting there. I had a problem with it. so deleted everything put it in another slot ( realised a had a 2.0 USB slot empty) and its taken hardly any time compared to the other day. Plus this morning for some reason its working a little faster.

OK this may sound daft but when i open the pc do i need to use a magnet free screwdriver. As last time i opened a pc i was told i had "killed" it by using a magnetic screwdriver, and it never worked after that.

No Linny, that won't be an issue.

Make sure though, to disconnect the mains lead from the PC (as in plug it out altogether from the power supply in the case) press & hold the power button on the case for a few seconds in order to discharge any remaining power in the capacitors (you may even see it light up momentarily as it does that). Then, when you open the case, touch the back of your hand of a bare metal piece of the case chassis in order to dissipate any static electricity from your body (this will effectively ground you) Not that you need grounding I'm sure Linny LOL!.

Try to avoid touching the gold metal pins on the RAM sticks when installing them (Just hold it by the sides or top).

-

GOOD NEWS ................ im still here just about.

Its so slow for some reason my AV has taken....................... wait for it

19 hours and still has 200000+ more files to scan its now on 631200 and last scan that look a few hrs was 780000 files, so could be a lot more than 200000 to go.

Ive got to the stage where im using it as i need it rather than use it properly. WHY has a scan taken so long, I know im still backing stuff up but surley 19 hrs is way to long.
Plus its done a windows update and keeps wanting to restart every 10 mins, but cant afford to let that happen otherwise i will loose the scan and it has found a few cookies - thankfully thats all its showing and they are all from firefox adtech questionmarket and revsci ones.
So yes im still here in spirit as they say.
I will be glad once the backup and av have finished lol!

I should ad it is a whole computer scan - which is what i usually do with my AVG once per week

Last edited:
I know the feeling... My desktop is almost as ancient as yours and a full scan (especially if I let it look at anything but the C: drive) can actually take "several days"...

And as for the Windows Updates.. unfortunately yesterday was Microsoft's monthly "patch Tuesday" and supposedly they had more updates and patches this month than they had the last "super Tuesday" in October.. Hate to think what mine's going to look like when I get home from work this morning.

GOOD NEWS ................ im still here just about.

Its so slow for some reason my AV has taken....................... wait for it

Plus its done a windows update and keeps wanting to restart every 10 mins,

I should ad it is a whole computer scan - which is what i usually do with my AVG once per week

sending you lots of thoughts of "patience" :)

Back